All that other gaming stuff we do when not racing
Oskad-87
Mechanic
Mechanic

Image Current versions
NTSC: 3.50
NTSC -J: 3.02
PAL: forget it.

So in case you don't know what it is, Project M is a mod of SSBBrawl that balances the characters movesets, throws in some cool and nostalgic stages, and makes the game appear/play more like Melee. The best thing about it is that you don't have to hack your Wii in order to use it, just download it to an SD card, make sure there aren't any custom stages (including the 3 default ones) and go to stage builder. The mod will then start automatically.

The development team is partly descended from the original developers for Brawl+, now known as the PMDT, or Project M Dev Team (formerly the PMBR, or Project M Backroom). It has members from over ten countries, though as of now, only an NTSC version has been released.

As of version 3.0, the Curry effect is replaced with a new one - Turbo. In Turbo mode, players are able to cancel any successful attack, upon hit or shield, into any other action except the same attack, and all aerial attacks auto cancel when landing, if they hit. Certain moves, such as Farore's Wind, consist of multiple actions and can be canceled into themselves. Turbo Mode has been compared to the Marvel vs. Capcom series, because it enables skilled players to perform extensive combos.
Turbo mode can be selected from the Special Brawl menu, or temporarily granted by the "Turbo" item, which replaces Superspicy Curry.
Notable Turbo-related resources: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Download here: http://projectmgame.com/en/download" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[hr]

FAQ

What is Project M?
Project M is a modification of Brawl inspired by Super Smash Bros. Melee's gameplay designed to add rich, technical gameplay to a balanced cast of characters while additionally enhancing the speed of play.

What is the goal of Project M?
Project M hopes to achieve a game similar to Super Smash Bros. Melee in many respects. It does not, however, intend to be a 1:1 Melee clone. The following is a list of the main aspects of Super Smash Bros. Melee that inspired and have carried over into Project M:
1) A fast-paced game.
2) With flowing, natural movement.
3) Where the player has a great degree of control over his character due to the technical skill that he's achieved.
4) The balance of offense and defense changes depending on the exact matchup and playstyle, but overall tends to favor offense slightly.
5) Offstage edgeguarding is risky but rewarding, while on-stage edgeguarding is safer but less rewarding.
6) Recoveries generally require great skill to use, with the advantage usually being with the edgeguarding player, with some exceptions.
7) The combos are challenging and spontaneous, with anything longer than 2-3 hits requiring a knowledge of both characters' options and some degree of prediction and/or a deep understanding of the mental aspect of the game.

In short, Project M aims to capture the essence of what made Melee a truly great game in our eyes.

Where's the PAL Version?
The team does not plan to make a PAL version until the game is complete, in order to speed up development and avoid repeating work more than once. If you can make your PAL Wii load an NTSC copy of Brawl however, you can play Project M.

Can I call this Melee 2.0?
If you must.

Is there a release date for this project?
There is no release date for the final release, or generally even the next public release. The nature of the project unfortunately means that breakthroughs are "ifs" rather than "whens", so as such we can't promise release dates very far in advance.

Is Mewtwo gonna be in this?
Yes.

Who else are you going to include!?
Roy, first of all. Anything more is a bridge we've yet to cross. For discussion on possible characters.

Are you going to include new Smash 4 characters in Project M!?
Short answer, no. Here's a quote from P:M blogpost on the subject:
First and foremost as a game mod, we are still under certain legal obligations and restrictions. To stay in Nintendo's good graces and to avoid attracting Cease & Desist letters from 3rd party companies, we are limiting our choice of new characters to those that Nintendo has already licensed for inclusion in Brawl. In other words, that restricts us to characters that already appear in the game in some way, such as trophies, assists, or stickers. Additionally, to avoid appearing as competition to Smash U/3DS sales in Nintendo's eyes, we do not have any plans to try to "back port" any new Smash 4 characters to Project M.
Why don't Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard have Final Smashes!?
Unfortunately, this is a technical limitation at the moment. It's something we would like to fix in the future, but it's not a high priority.

When are you improving WiFi?
This isn't feasible with our current tools and abilities, nor do we have any intention of ever making our own private WiFi server.

Despite the fact that Manual L-Canceling has been in this game for over 3 years and I’ve been unsuccessful so far, I am going to continue to argue against Manual L-Canceling and demand Aerial Lag Reduction instead. Am I going to win?
No. Feel free to discuss the merits L-Canceling has as a gameplay mechanic, though, so long as you don't derail threads in the process.

I've come to the conclusion that I hate this project and everything it stands for. You guys should all just be playing Melee instead; this is Brawl. Is there anything I can do to stop you guys from making this?
No. We'd recommend you play it first, though.
Last edited by Oskad-87 on Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
死の (Shino)
Mechanic
Mechanic

That feel when you have a North American copy of the game just to run this hack mod...
Remember: Hacking, not cracking.
Warachia
Mechanic
Mechanic

死の (Shino) wrote:That feel when you have a North American copy of the game just to run this hack mod...
What, really? Lol
死の (Shino)
Mechanic
Mechanic

Warachia wrote:
死の (Shino) wrote:That feel when you have a North American copy of the game just to run this hack mod...
What, really? Lol
How do you think I've been able to play with you guys online? :roll:
Cain
Mechanic
Mechanic

I know it, sort of...

I got a NTSC version of SSBB on an external HD.
PSN: Cain211-RO
Miao
Drift King
Drift King

Version 3.5 trailer. :geek:
Nogai211 wrote:The only reason PC is better than Console is because it has Civilization V!
TheLuigi907
Apprentice
Apprentice

Cain wrote:
I know it, sort of...

I got a NTSC version of SSBB on an external HD.
Lol, I got both NTSC and NTSC-J, although I also only have the NTSC on an external HD. I used to play the J more, but since I started learning English I stopped it and went more for the US version since most mods are compartible with it anyway. :mrgreen:
GodEneru
Apprentice
Apprentice

You do know that this works on NTSC-J too, don't you?
Miao
Drift King
Drift King

Eneru is right, Project M even has a NTSC-J version.
My disc is also NTSC-J and I always loaded P:M on it. :geek:
Nogai211 wrote:The only reason PC is better than Console is because it has Civilization V!
死の (Shino)
Mechanic
Mechanic

GodEneru wrote:
You do know that this works on NTSC-J too, don't you?
Sincerely, no, I didn't know. I know that every Asian I play with uses a NTSC version of some way, so I never really got to know.

I got a lot of North American version of the games, I just bought them there when I visited it. I always used the Freeloader to play them though...
Tsukishima wrote:Eneru is right, Project M even has a NTSC-J version.
My disc is also NTSC-J and I always loaded P:M on it. :geek:
I always thought you used a North American version to play this with me...

Return to “General Gaming”