Elite Dangerous

All that other gaming stuff we do when not racing
dpuff
Mechanic
Mechanic

Whoamus wrote:I bought a Thrustmaster T-flight HOTAS, was reasonably priced.
How are you liking that HOTAS so far? Is it reliable for the long run? Because I plan to play Star Citizen in the future and thought I could invest a little more money into a reliable and durable flight stick such as Saitek X52 for around $130 dollars but Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick is so much cheaper, only $40 dollars on Amazon. Now I'm having second thoughts. :|
Whoamus
Mechanic
Mechanic

dpuff wrote:
Whoamus wrote:I bought a Thrustmaster T-flight HOTAS, was reasonably priced.
How are you liking that HOTAS so far? Is it reliable for the long run? Because I plan to play Star Citizen in the future and thought I could invest a little more money into a reliable and durable flight stick such as Saitek X52 for around $130 dollars but Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick is so much cheaper, only $40 dollars on Amazon. Now I'm having second thoughts. :|
I like it and it seems to be pretty durable. Have used it now for months and no problems for me. I did separate it into the stand alone stick and throttle for a little time but found it too light, it slid around on the desk so I have it back to one assembly, not sure how heavy the Saitek controls are but that was my only issue. With using one key as a shift key, I have mapped 18 of the most used buttons to the stick and do not need to use the keyboard for much. There is a thread or two on the ED forums about flightsticks, maybe look there and see what others are saying too.
Whoamus
Mechanic
Mechanic

Share some travel screenshots. I have made the black hole at the galaxy center and am now on my way home.

Sagittarius A

My start point, just under 26,000 light years from the core.

A couple of examples of star systems. They all vary from one star to multiple stars. Some have earth like planets or can be terraformed.

When we look at the night sky and see the milky way, we see a dull glow. At the center the milky way goes all around 360 degrees and there is a glow from all the stars being so close. Shot of a metal rich planet and that glow.

Finally, space can be dangerous. I came into this system looking at this. The galaxy is a 1 to 1 representation of ours and runs in real time. If I would have got here on a different day or even a different hour, I may have ended up hitting on of those two stars circling the main star. Would have taken damage but probably not enough to destroy the ship.

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Looks awesome. I still have not tried it with a joystick. I have one somewhere for sure. :lol:
Playing with a controller was a bit too sensitive. So a joystick makes sense. Also adds to the immersion

But right now i can only play with a MS wireless over here 8-)
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Whoamus
Mechanic
Mechanic

MadManCK wrote:Looks awesome. I still have not tried it with a joystick. I have one somewhere for sure. :lol:
Playing with a controller was a bit too sensitive. So a joystick makes sense. Also adds to the immersion

But right now i can only play with a MS wireless over here 8-)
Some are playing with mouse and KB from what I read, do pretty good apparently. Always enjoyed flying and do pretty good but mediocre at combat flight. Only 1 insurance claim after all my time playing and that was just a stupid thing on my part. I started playing this with that turn of the century Logitech stick, still worked but not enough buttons. A stick does make it more immersive. :D
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Unscripted uncharted territory :D

This game gets huge updates every time. Sizes of 1.6 gig are no exception. A lot of work must go into it.

Maybe i will find a way to mount a bracket in my race rig for an old school joystick. Hotas style.

http://www.simhq.com/_technology3/technology_188a.html

Plenty of options to mount :party:

:mrgreen:

PS also found this kick ass controller
Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog A-10C Aircraft Controller Replica PC

PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Whoamus
Mechanic
Mechanic

The game is updated and most bugs squashed quickly. Updates are usually big since they are version changes. Last update was from 1.3 to 1.4 and also added the CCQ update. Next should be the Horizons expansion and I will be able to load up a buggy and land on airless worlds to explore. Planetary landings will be interesting. Still 10,000 Ly out from civilized space, should be home in a week or so.

Lots of nice set ups though 2 flightsticks seems more for driving a tank then a spacecraft. The more expensive flight controls can have every control mapped to them. I have the most used mapped to mine but still some missing.

I read that VR works pretty well in the game. Not sure I would go that route. I would have a problem not seeing the controls or KB. There is a thread on the ED forums about making your own head tracker for a tenner. Something like that with a triple monitor set up would be for me. Not going to spend the money though, my simple set up will have to do.
Whoamus
Mechanic
Mechanic

A short clip showing the SRV in action in the upcoming expansion. Reminded me of an old arcade game, Moon Patrol.

Whoamus
Mechanic
Mechanic

Finished my trip to the core and made it back safely. Took around 7 weeks to complete playing 2 - 4 hours a day. Traveled about 60,000 light years round trip. Played a little more near the end since I wanted to be back in time for GW2's Halloween event and expansion coming this weekend. Plus I want to be near civilized space for the expansion in this game so I can do a little rover driving.

My estimate of credits earned was pretty close, made just over 70MM. My estimate for exploration rank was way off, only increased 22% with a close up scan of over 7000 planetary bodies including stars. Discovered 13 earthlike worlds and one interesting POI no one else noticed on the backside of a nebula that is only visible coming back from the core, going to nickname "The Screaming Nebula". These will be added to a galactic record keeping database maintained by players. A good trip.

Screenshot of my panel before selling my exploration data.

After selling.

The face nebula

Also found an earthlike nearby the nebula

Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

This game really is epic :o
Every time I read one of your posts it makes me want to buy this game but......
Finished my trip to the core and made it back safely. Took around 7 weeks to complete playing 2 - 4 hours a day
:eeek:
I would have to give my job up to find the time to play this thing............ :loll:
Image Image

Return to “General Gaming”