All that other gaming stuff we do when not racing
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

EA Announces Origin Access for PC

http://www.ea.com/news/ea-announces-ori ... s-for-pc-1

After the Spotify and Netflix success stories, it is only logical the Monthly Subscriptions for Games will follow.
Nvidia is working on something through the Shield program, but now are publishers like EA entering the field.

They will charge you 4,99$ a month for around 15 games. Not a bad deal.

But what type of gamer are you? A collector or someone who only wants the new games and play them once?
If you do not care about keeping your games and trade them after 3 months anyway, this subscription thing might be a good idea.

And as a bonus EA will offer timed Exclusives on new Games with their new service.

What do you think? A good idea or bad?
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Whoamus
Mechanic
Mechanic

I play games that mostly give me a lot to do for a single payment. A collector I suppose since i have few games, Games like Skyrim, Fallout, the Civ games. I play a lot of Guild Wars 2 which is an MMO but it is buy to play without a subscription. To me this business model would be useless.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

I think this will work better on consoles than on PC.

Console games are more expensive and Console Gamers are a bit different from PC players, i assume. (be careful there :lol: )

Both Sony and Microsoft have their Monthly subscription bundles already. And it seems to lift off nicely.

If UBISOFT Uplay, EA Origin and especially Steam will start something like this for PC, it might be a success, but not as big as on consoles.

The NVidia SHIELD approach takes it a few steps further. Games will be rendered on their supercomputers in the Cloud and streamed to your home in up to 4K resolutions. Quality of the internet is key.
Maybe that will be the future of online gaming, as you only need a small Shield device to hook up to your TV and a controller. And all games will be in max detail and max settings without compromise.
The H265 compression will take away a bit of that maybe. And lag will always be an issue.

What is disturbing, is that now again everybody will try to to this themselves. There is an overkill of Monthly subscription services popping up now. That won't last.
The upcoming period will show a shift in the Force and only the strong will survive.

:party:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

I've seen a few of these services popping up lately and the problem I have with them is the list of games they offer always seem to have a few older or not so popular games added to fill the list out a bit like those bundles you buy they always seem to have one or two not so good games to fill them out. :mrgreen:

I'm also very picky about what games I play, I have lots of games with only a few hours or less on them because if the game doesn't grab my attention in the first hour or so then I very rarely go back to it. :o

I used to waste a lot of money in the past buying games that I never really played :( these days I almost always try to play a demo first or at least read a few reviews before buying anything so subscribing to a random bunch of games each month wont work for me. :(
Image Image

Return to “General Gaming”