The Elder Scrolls® Online: Tamriel Unlimited

All that other gaming stuff we do when not racing
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

This game is free to play on Steam for the next few days so if you are into Skyrim why not give it a try :D

once you get past the opening sequence and get back to the land of the living it isn't far from playing any other elder scrolls game you can go looking for quests or just go exploring.
:link:

Image Image
Whoamus
Mechanic
Mechanic

My choice in the prize drawing, wondering if anyone else is playing this. I have started two characters and will maybe start a third to play through the tutorial area and get a feel for what class and race I want to continue playing.
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Whoamus wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:20 pm My choice in the prize drawing, wondering if anyone else is playing this. I have started two characters and will maybe start a third to play through the tutorial area and get a feel for what class and race I want to continue playing.
I don't have it yet but i am thinking of getting it so if you could let me know if it is any good once you have played it a bit to help me make my mind up. :rightthumbup:
Image Image
Whoamus
Mechanic
Mechanic

Bez wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:53 pm I don't have it yet but i am thinking of getting it so if you could let me know if it is any good once you have played it a bit to help me make my mind up. :rightthumbup:
So far it has similarities to Skyrim but it isn't Skyrim with people, it is an MMO. Since I am a noob with noob characters, parts of the game are locked until I level up enough, things like chat, riding a mount, and I need to unlock more of the combat skill tree. I have played Guild Wars 2 for 8 years and a couple of people from that game play this, they seem to like it. Has the same direction compass at the top as Skyrim to send you in the right direction for your quest. Combat is different but similar, attacking and blocking with a main and secondary weapon but includes skills which you level and need to learn a proper rotation for use due to timing and recharge. It has the standard cash shop and trading post plus loot boxes for people who like to gamble, I pass on those in either game unless I get for free as a loot drop. I do like seeing other players in game which adds to the life of the world. Even in the tutorial there were other players and once I get out of the tutorial, there are events in the world you can solo or play with a PUG. I have been reading as much as playing and here are a couple of websites I found most informative. The first is a good general idea of how play goes, the second is more detailed in builds and more detailed.
https://guides.gamepressure.com/eldersc ... p?ID=54319
https://alcasthq.com/
I will post more as I play more and get a better feel for the game but so far it seems okay.
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Whoamus wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:32 pm
Bez wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:53 pm I don't have it yet but i am thinking of getting it so if you could let me know if it is any good once you have played it a bit to help me make my mind up. :rightthumbup:
So far it has similarities to Skyrim but it isn't Skyrim with people, it is an MMO. Since I am a noob with noob characters, parts of the game are locked until I level up enough, things like chat, riding a mount, and I need to unlock more of the combat skill tree. I have played Guild Wars 2 for 8 years and a couple of people from that game play this, they seem to like it. Has the same direction compass at the top as Skyrim to send you in the right direction for your quest. Combat is different but similar, attacking and blocking with a main and secondary weapon but includes skills which you level and need to learn a proper rotation for use due to timing and recharge. It has the standard cash shop and trading post plus loot boxes for people who like to gamble, I pass on those in either game unless I get for free as a loot drop. I do like seeing other players in game which adds to the life of the world. Even in the tutorial there were other players and once I get out of the tutorial, there are events in the world you can solo or play with a PUG. I have been reading as much as playing and here are a couple of websites I found most informative. The first is a good general idea of how play goes, the second is more detailed in builds and more detailed.
https://guides.gamepressure.com/eldersc ... p?ID=54319
https://alcasthq.com/
I will post more as I play more and get a better feel for the game but so far it seems okay.
Thanks i will check those links out. :D
Image Image
Whoamus
Mechanic
Mechanic

Well, I'm hooked. The game is pretty good and has huge area for play. It plays like any Elder Scrolls game except for combat which is geared to the MMO crowd with timed skills and abilities. I have died a couple of times due to my lack of watching my skill bars and running out of magic and stamina. You can still hack and slash but without using skills you don't get very far. The world is beautiful with lots of interesting creatures roaming around. The lore puts this 1000 years before Skyrim and 800 years before Morrowind and Oblivion. I played a lot of Morrowind and this is the start area. It has been a long time since I was in Vivek City, it is great. The cash shop is pushing cosmetic, QoL, and DLC items but none are needed to play the base game. DLC expands parts of the map and is mostly for higher level players and end game content. Things like 12 man raids and dungeons which I usually pass on anyway. Here is a nice site I found that maps out the whole world and show what the DLC adds. https://game-maps.com/ESO/The-Elder-Scrolls-Online.asp The center of the map is Cyroiil and used for PVP world battles, the three factions can battle here against each other in large group combat. I would say if you have played any other MMO and any of the Elder Scrolls games, you would probably enjoy this.
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Whoamus wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:07 pm Well, I'm hooked. The game is pretty good and has huge area for play. It plays like any Elder Scrolls game except for combat which is geared to the MMO crowd with timed skills and abilities. I have died a couple of times due to my lack of watching my skill bars and running out of magic and stamina. You can still hack and slash but without using skills you don't get very far. The world is beautiful with lots of interesting creatures roaming around. The lore puts this 1000 years before Skyrim and 800 years before Morrowind and Oblivion. I played a lot of Morrowind and this is the start area. It has been a long time since I was in Vivek City, it is great. The cash shop is pushing cosmetic, QoL, and DLC items but none are needed to play the base game. DLC expands parts of the map and is mostly for higher level players and end game content. Things like 12 man raids and dungeons which I usually pass on anyway. Here is a nice site I found that maps out the whole world and show what the DLC adds. https://game-maps.com/ESO/The-Elder-Scrolls-Online.asp The center of the map is Cyroiil and used for PVP world battles, the three factions can battle here against each other in large group combat. I would say if you have played any other MMO and any of the Elder Scrolls games, you would probably enjoy this.
Nice map and good site for DLC info. :rightthumbup:
Image Image
Whoamus
Mechanic
Mechanic

After playing now for a few weeks, really liking the game. It does have pros and cons like most games of this kind. Combat takes some practice and I am getting better as I feel out the mechanics, only died a couple of times. I am lvl 14 and at 15 I can equip a secondary weapon, playing dual wield daggers and will have bow as secondary weapon. Each will have different skills and cool downs as used and swapped.

The quests so far are really well done. I had one that went 6 or 7 chained quests helping one npc. The map is big and I have never left the starting area of Vvardenfell and only have visited maybe half of the map locations. The games daily's for logging in are very good. Gold, potions, buffs, and food that increases all stats for up to 2 hours.

The inventory system is not real good and the amount of loot you can keep is limited. There is a lot of loot and crafting components laying around and bag fills quickly. Put in the bank but that too fills up quickly. Bag and shared bank size can be increased by using gold found in game, killing mobs, etc. Unfortunately, the cost increases exponentially. The first 10 slot increase was 400 gold, next 3,300. I am seeing more gold dropping so it may be a balance but slow going. I rolled three characters using two to store loot for crafting. Can swap loot between them and the bank as needed for crafting. Like any MMO, crafting is king.

You need addon's to really enjoy the game and those are supported by Bethesda. Helps with maps, crafting, UI skill timers as examples. I use those and will probably get one or two more. The best tool is called Minion https://minion.mmoui.com/ which organizes, describes, installs, and updates, all addon's available for the game. Works for WOW too.

That's it. Just a follow up on how it's going. :D
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

The more i hear about this game the more i like it but i am going to wait till i get bored with Satisfactory first before i dive into this as i have a feeling it will take up quite a bit of time. :D
Image Image

Return to “General Gaming”