General Car Chat

The Place for Car enthusiasts to chat about the cars they like and dislike
Miao
Drift King
Drift King

Nogai211 wrote:The only reason PC is better than Console is because it has Civilization V!
Lunytrickz
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Miao
Drift King
Drift King

Audi could be retirin' from endurance racin'. :o
Carscoops, BOGDAN ZOLTAN wrote:Since its debut at Le Mans, 17 years ago, Audi has won the notorious competition 13 times, making it one of the most successful teams/manufacturers. Even so, it’s future there reportedly looks bleak.

Autocar reports that high-raking insiders, close to chairman Rupert Stadler, suggest Audi will be retiring its LMP1 program from racing. That includes the program dedicated for the World Endurance Championship (formerly known as the Intercontinental Le Mans Cup) and, subsequently, Le Mans.

The alleged decision comes due to Volkswagen’s cost-cutting initiatives forced by the “Dieselgate” scandal. That and the fact the German colossus has two companies, Audi and Porsche, competing against one another in the series – each with a season budget of over €200 million ($220 million). Moreover, the Le Mans 24-hour race is the only race in the series that attracts global attention, with one insider pointing out there can be only one winner each year:

“Whatever way it turns out, one of our brands is deemed to lose,” said an insider.

However, the final nail in the coffin for Audi LMP1 program could be Volkswagen’s alleged decision to stop showcasing its diesel engine tech in motorsport, in the company’s pursuit of reducing the number of diesel engines across the group.

"One of the attractions of the two brand LMP1 strategy was their differing driveline concepts. Bringing both Audi and Porsche to a common driveline concept would limit the technology transfer to our road cars,” said the insider.

It looks like Audi is facing multiple (major) hurdles in this particular area, and if the rumors turn out to be true, 2017 will be the last year we’ll see the Ingolstadt car maker race on the Circuit de la Sarthe.
Nogai211 wrote:The only reason PC is better than Console is because it has Civilization V!
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Well atleast we won't see the fugly designs they come up with each year, as LMP1 cars are seriously ugly, where as LMP2 cars and the lookers.

But honestly i don't care, Tom Kristensen isn't driving it anymore so who gives a crap - it is just the same insane sprint race to the finish, i really don't know why they even call it an endurance race as it really is a sprint race.

Also the cars from the Blancpain GT series should join the grid at Le Mans, that way the Audi R8 GT3, Merc AMG GT3, Lambo Hurrican GT3 and Mclarens even BMW M6 GTX would get to race on Le Mans, so it isn't just the same old Corvette vs. Ferrari vs. Aston Martin.

I only follow one GT series and that is Blancpain GT series as they stream it live on Youtube and upload the races etc., something the greedy F1 machine could learn something from.

Also GT racing is more interesting to watch than LMP1 and F1 cars are, and there is is less rules and more contact making for good watching.

So conclusion Audi can ax their LMP1 program and nobody who care, it'll just be Toyota and Porsche, until Porsche gets cut too which is very likely to happen too as it is the same company, and then Toyota would be fucked.
TheLuigi907
Apprentice
Apprentice

Bear304 wrote:So conclusion Audi can ax their LMP1 program and nobody who care, it'll just be Toyota and Porsche, until Porsche gets cut too which is very likely to happen too as it is the same company, and then Toyota would be fucked.
I guess Toyota could just join LMP2 class if that were to happen and no new manufacturers joined back LMP1. Just Toyota, Rebellion and byKolles on LMP1 would make for a boring race.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

I found the LMP2 race on Le Mans a lot more interesting anyway. And some GT were racing them on occasion.

LMP1 is very expensive and in my opinion, obsolete. :twocents-02cents:

PS: These former factory LMP1 Audi will probably be sold or run by privateer teams. So even when they are gone, Audi will have a chance to win at Le Mans ;)
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Miao
Drift King
Drift King

TheLuigi907 wrote: Just Toyota, Rebellion and byKolles on LMP1 would make for a boring race.
LMP1 is already a boring class. :roll:
Miao
Drift King
Drift King

Lunytrickz
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Lol laser powered. Now we know what Han Solo will drive on public roads :lol:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang

Return to “The Showroom”