McLaren 688 High Sport '16

The Place for Car enthusiasts to chat about the cars they like and dislike
Miao
Drift King
Drift King

BRAD ANDERSON wrote:The first image of McLaren's 688 High Sport has popped up on the web, showing an even more extreme version of the, already hardcore, 675LT thanks to McLaren Life.

Despite being spied without camouflage, leaked in numerous renderings and according to some, already having been delivered to customers, McLaren has remained very quiet about the car so far.

As its name suggests, the 3.8-liter twin-turbocharged V8 has been upgraded to 688 PS (678 HP), while the weight has been reduced by around 40 kg (88 lbs).

The image reveals that the 688 is adorned with a plethora of aerodynamic elements to make it even more track-oriented than the 675 LT. At the front, the British supercar includes four carbon fiber canards, air extractors on the front wheel arches and a large roof scoop. Those last two changes come standard on the 688 but are available as options for the LT thanks to MSO. One element not offered for the LT is the 688 HS's towering fixed rear wing which sits in place of the standard model's deployable spoiler that also acts as an air brake.

While cut out in the latest image, renderings have revealed that the wing is very tall and includes two large endplates, making it look like a mini version of the P1 GTR's rear wing.

Just 25 units of the 688 High Sport were reportedly commissioned by McLaren Special Operations and all have been spoken for.
Nogai211 wrote:The only reason PC is better than Console is because it has Civilization V!
Viktor Karpenko
Mechanic
Mechanic

It still looks like a P1 wannabe. But that's the best P1 wannabe I've seen so far, yes I know it's only a leaked picture and that I should wait for the full reveal to state that but i'm just sayingg.
RUF is better than Porsche!

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Viktor Karpenko wrote:It still looks like a P1 wannabe.
But that is what you get when you create a modern icon. So far the P1 has been the only real interesting new McLaren.
All it's little nephews want to be just like him... :D
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Mauricio_Zika
Rookie
Rookie

Viktor Karpenko wrote:It still looks like a P1 wannabe. But that's the best P1 wannabe I've seen so far, yes I know it's only a leaked picture and that I should wait for the full reveal to state that but i'm just sayingg.
people only say that because the front of these new McLarens resemble the P1 but that's not different from what other manufacturers do, take a look at some of Chevrolet's cars for example, or at all the Porsches. :loll:
-Sorry, I'm too lazy to create a signature-
Miao
Drift King
Drift King

ImageImage
BOGDAN ZOLTAN wrote:The 675LT’s reign in McLaren’s Super Series will be over once the brand-new MSO HS will be officially unveiled to the public.

Yes, this striking-looking 650S-based Macca, leaked on the internet by our friends at Jalopnik with the help from an unnamed source, will be close to the top of McLaren's food chain, surpassed only by the almighty P1.

Like the 675LT before it, it builds upon the 650S and it features carbon-fiber bodywork that increases downforce even more (the 675LT was aerodynamically chiseled to increase downforce by 40 percent over any other model in the Super Series).

The enormous rear wing, for example, is said to be derived from the P1 GTR’s program and uses throttle mapping to adjust itself electronically for street or track use. It even acts as an air brake and generates 485 pounds (220 kg) of downforce at 150 mph (241 km/h).

Other notable body panels finished in exposed carbon-fiber are the front bumper splitter and dive planes, the sides skirts with the side intake, and the hood and the roof – which comes with an air-feeding scoop.

These add-ons are all part of McLaren’s weight-saving obsession, bringing the total weight of the car down by around 40 kg (88 lbs); even the windscreen and the side windows went through a weight-shedding process, while the engine cover was made out of polycarbonate (that’s a type of plastic, by the way, but if it’s good for the Lockheed Martin F-22’ cockpit canopy, it’s good for McLaren too).

Compared to the 675LT, the M838T 3,799cc twin-turbo V8 petrol engine under the MSO HS’ hood produces 13 PS ( 13 hp) more, bringing the total up to 688 PS (678 hp). The 700 nm (516 lb-ft) torque figure remains the same, but Jalopnik says it’s available from 3000 RPM all the way up to 7000 RPM.

Oh, and it will feature all the track goodies found on the 675LT, including the McLaren Track Telemetry – a system which analyses your lap times and details with the help of three cameras, GPS mapping, and graphical plots, in order to improve your circuit performance.

Only 25 examples are reportedly going to be built, so getting your hands on one (providing the model isn’t already sold out) is not going to be easy.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Nogai211 wrote:The only reason PC is better than Console is because it has Civilization V!
Pinduca
Rookie
Rookie

That looks very aftermarketish. :|
Lunytrickz
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Return to “The Showroom”