Hyundai RN30 '16

The Place for Car enthusiasts to chat about the cars they like and dislike
Miao
Drift King
Drift King

ImageImage
ADRIAN PADEANU wrote:Hyundai’s high-powered RN30 concept has landed in Paris to highlight the company’s newly founded N performance division.

Previewed about a week ago in a teaser, the RN30 is based on the third-generation i30, but comes with an assortment of hardware upgrades to create a fully-fledged hot hatch. It wears a significantly more aggressive body with a beefy front bumper hosting enlarged air vents and a prominent splitter. The back of the car is also quite spectacular, featuring a massive diffuser and a prominent roof-mounted spoiler to aid downforce at the rear axle.

It sits on 19-inch lightweight alloy wheels and adopts a very stiff suspension setup that makes the car look as if it’s glued to the road. Compared to the road-going new i30, the RN30 is 30 millimeters wider thanks to the muscular front and rear fenders, while at the back there are dual ceramic tips part of the electronic variable exhaust system providing “a surge of aural pleasure” once you hit hard the accelerator pedal.

The concept’s heart and soul is a turbocharged 2.0-liter, four-cylinder engine pushing out 380 horsepower (280 kilowatts) and 451 Newton-meters (332 pound-feet) of torque delivered through a dual-clutch gearbox. Unlike the new i30 that has a front-wheel-drive layout, the RN30 adopts a grippy all-wheel drive setup and has been fitted by the engineers with an electronic limited-slip differential to provide even more stability during high-speed cornering.

Rather than using carbon fiber reinforced polymer (CFRP) to shave off weight, Hyundai has joined forces with BASF to develop new “high-performance” plastic materials. An exact curb weight has not been disclosed, but we do know Hyundai has strived to cut as much fat as possible and it has also implemented a very low center of gravity by pushing back the seats and lowering their position as well. The whole car actually sits 84 mm closer to the road than the regular i30, and there are various aerodynamic bits to improve airflow and ultimately boost performance.

While the RN30 is only a concept, we do know Hyundai has plans to introduce the N version of the i30 early next year. It will have a FWD layout and a six-speed manual gearbox, but an AWD model and an automatic transmission are also being seriously considered.
Hyundai's press release:
► Show Spoiler
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Nogai211 wrote:The only reason PC is better than Console is because it has Civilization V!
Pinduca
Rookie
Rookie

Can't wait to see how the i30N will look like. :mrgreen:
Warachia
Mechanic
Mechanic

Ooh nice. Hyundai surely isn't that boring manufacturer it used to be.

Return to “The Showroom”