Jaguar I-Pace '16

The Place for Car enthusiasts to chat about the cars they like and dislike
Miao
Drift King
Drift King

ImageImage
ZAC ESTRADA wrote:The Jaguar I-Pace Concept is the biggest sign of company’s move into electric vehicles – and perhaps the most significant attempt at making a pretty car that just happens to be electric.

Unveiled Tuesday at a Jaguar event ahead of the 2016 Los Angeles Auto Show using both virtual reality goggles and sitting on a turntable, the I-Pace was shown to journalists in the flesh, presented in part by designer Ian Callum.

The Jaguar Design Director explained the intentional move to make a sporty little SUV with a cab forward design to take advantage of the superior packaging of putting the batteries under the floor. It's a little weird, but special-looking like a Jaguar should be.

While the company’s officials are adamant it’s an SUV, the I-Pace looks like an SUV in the same way the Infiniti QX30 and Mercedes-Benz GLA do, and they look like hatchbacks. The sharply sloped rear glass and stubby deck make it look sedan-like from some angles. But overall, it’s an attractive car that should still look attractive when it’s toned down slightly for production.

The benefit of all this, however, is that there is a lot of space inside, far more than its footprint implies. A panoramic roof gives off on the concept gives off an airy feel, too. Legroom is said to be on par with rivals from the midsize class and the cargo hold is surprisingly long and deep. The I-Pace looks to be an immensely practical package.

Powering the concept are electric motors at the front and rear axles. The two motors produce a combined 400 horsepower and 700 Nm of torque with permanent all-wheel drive. A 90kW battery and rapid charging allow for a targeted 500 kM range (310 miles) – in the ballpark of what the Tesla Model 3 and Chevrolet Bolt target.

Also pulling a page from Tesla, Jaguar is already taking reservations on their website, Jaguar.com, although they aren’t taking $1,000 deposits for the car that’s about two years away from dealerships. Still, it’s likely this will be the first Jaguar with a big online sales push.

Jaguar officials said the production I-Pace would be shown next year at an auto show, with the car set to go on sale in the second half of 2018 – in all 50 U.S. states, too. It may be a brother to the hot-selling F-Pace, but the I-Pace is so much more than a small Jaguar SUV. Its style, packaging and whole mission in life will be significant towards securing JLR’s future in an increasingly electrified automotive world – and a truly desirable luxury EV, at that.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Nogai211 wrote:The only reason PC is better than Console is because it has Civilization V!
Miao
Drift King
Drift King

Nogai211 wrote:The only reason PC is better than Console is because it has Civilization V!
Miao
Drift King
Drift King

A future competitor to Tesla's crossover Model X? :think:

Pfft, I don't think so. This Jaag beats that Image 10/0 with much ease. Image
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

The I-Pace looks really good indeed.

Hmm but one the pictures i saw made it look like the glass roof was a solarpanel, as it had the solarpanel circuits in it, maybe an addition option for the car as that would be a big push for clean energy if it could charge itself up in the parking lot.

Also Jaguar's sponsor for Formula E is Panasonic, so Jaguar got easy access to batteries, and Panasonic also make batteries for Tesla's demand in China.

So if Tesla wants to be the best and have the newest tech then they need to enter Formula E as a works team too.
Miao
Drift King
Drift King

Bear304 wrote:Hmm but one the pictures i saw made it look like the glass roof was a solarpanel, as it had the solarpanel circuits in it
Like in these ones? Image

ImageImage
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Miao wrote:Like in these ones? Image
Yes
Miao
Drift King
Drift King

Seems to be just some sort of effect on the glass roof, as seen from these live pictures, courtesy of AutoCar.

ImageImage
ImageImage
TheLuigi907
Apprentice
Apprentice

Miao wrote:as seen from these live pictures, courtesy of AutoCar.
But better seen from this shot of the interior.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Bear304 wrote:if Tesla wants to be the best and have the newest tech then they need to enter Formula E as a works team too.
That would be a logical move indeed. But Formula E is BS with the car changes. They need batteries that last at least a whole race. And the use of stock tires is a strange one as well. For me Formula -E is not interesting to watch. Tracks are way too narrow sometimes and it feels more like an exhibition than a real race. It can still become big if Ferrari or others enter the competition. Like they mentioned recently.

In regards to solar panels in the roof; these are expensive. But the recent incarnation of Fisker has shown it can be done.
Semi translucent and variable would be the bomb. There is still a lot to gain in the development from Solar Panels. :ugeek:

If more serious car companies enter the electrical world, developments will accelerate. Maybe they already are. Projects like these take a little longer to develop properly.
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
ENZO
New Starter
New Starter

Miao wrote:Jaguar I-Pace '16
Please put the word Concept in the title, the production guise I-Pace may not resemble much the car in your OP when it comes out, unfortunately.

ImageImage

Return to “The Showroom”