Mazda RT24-P '17

The Place for Car enthusiasts to chat about the cars they like and dislike
Miao
Drift King
Drift King

ImageImage
Ciprian Florea wrote:Essentially a replacement for last year’s Mazda Prototype, the RT24-P was built to new IMSA regulations and will tackle the DPi class in 2017.

The RT24-P name stands for "Mazda’s Road to 24" program, but also signifies the 2.0-liter, four-cylinder engine under the hood. The 600-horsepower, turbocharged mill is the only carryover from last year’s model, while the new chassis is based on the Riley Mk. 30 LMP2 and was designed and built by Multimatic. But, the most spectacular feature of the new race car is the exterior design.

Unlike the outgoing race car, the RT24-P is heavily inspired by the company’s Kodo design, which is evident at the front. The nose is highlighted by the familiar five-point grille wearing the same "Mazda" logo as the production cars, while the muscular front fenders sport slender and slightly swept-back headlamps (in this case plastic covers), also very similar to the road-going models. The race car also received very aggressive wide side pods, and massive intakes under the butterfly-type doors.

Toward the rear, the RT24-P is similar to other prototypes, using a massive fin that stretches from the roof scoop all the way back toward the rear wing. The wing itself has massive, P-shaped struts that make direct contact with the rear diffuser at the bottom of the rear fenders. Not surprisingly, it is painted in a flashy red color based on the production color Soul Red.

“This is a huge moment for Mazda Motorsports and the entire Mazda family,” said John Doonan, director of Mazda Motorsports North America. “To have a car which features Mazda design language at the top level of our motorsports program is meaningful for us as a brand. We believe we have the right team, the right drivers and the right chassis to win races and championships."

The new race car will compete under Daytona Prototype international (DPi) rules in the Prototype class, the top level of the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship. After significant on-track testing at Daytona on December 13-14, it will make its racing debut at the 2017 Rolex 24 at Daytona in late January 2017. Mazda is one of three DPi manufacturers to be on the grid at Daytona, joining Nissan’s effort with Tequila Patron ESM, and the yet-unconfirmed Cadillac DPi program with Action Express Racing and Wayne Taylor Racing.

Race cars aren’t supposed to look pretty, but rather boast excellent aerodynamics and powerful, reliable drivetrains. The fact that Mazda also managed to come up with a gorgeous design for the RT24-P is plain awesome and will make you never want to miss an IMSA race next year. Styling-wise, the RT24-P is the 787B of the 21st century. All there is left to do is hope it will be able to match the outstanding results of Mazda’s 1991 24 Hours of Le Mans winner.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Nogai211 wrote:The only reason PC is better than Console is because it has Civilization V!
Miao
Drift King
Drift King

I wish this thing was road-legal, and that I had the money to buy it. :D
Nogai211 wrote:The only reason PC is better than Console is because it has Civilization V!
Pinduca
Rookie
Rookie

Miao wrote:I wish this thing was road-legal, and that I had the money to buy it. :D
Good luck getting over speed bumps...
Miao
Drift King
Drift King

Pinduca wrote:
Miao wrote:I wish this thing was road-legal, and that I had the money to buy it. :D
Good luck getting over speed bumps...
I'd just adjust the ground clearance of the car like how Lola did it with this road legal F1. :P

Return to “The Showroom”