The Perfect Car List For a Game

The Place for Car enthusiasts to chat about the cars they like and dislike
Miao
Drift King
Drift King

Pontiac Club de Mer '56
Pontiac Club de Mer '56.jpg
The Pontiac Club de Mer was a purpose-built, concept car that was unveiled at the General Motors Motorama in 1956 to celebrate GM's commitment to futuristic design. The brainchild of GM engineer-designer, Harley Earl (Paul Gillian was also involved being the Pontiac Studio head at the time), the "de Mer" was a two door sport Roadster that incorporated innovative breakthrough styling like a sleek, low-profile body encasing a large powerplant, a design trend used widely in LSR (land speed record) trials atBonneville Salt Flats in Utah during the 1950s. One Club de Mer prototype was constructed and unveiled, along with another ¼-scale model, in Miami, Florida.

The design of the "de Mer" drew its visual impetus from contemporary aircraft construction of its day, employing a stainless steelmonocoque, individual wind screens similar to those on the 1955 Lincoln Futura (later TV's Batmobile), aerodynamically fashioned fascia that flowed down from the hood skin to cover most of the grill, concealed headlights, and a single rear-deck dorsal fin. Also featured were twin "silver-streaks" that flowed into low-profile hood scoops, a carry-over from Pontiac's Bonneville Special two years prior. The overall styling of the body was a smooth, non-undulating profile, similar to an American supersonic jet fighter, with virtually no protrusions or recesses of any kind save for the out-vents on the leading edge of both doors, and the fin. The vehicle had no bumpers, a common feature on most concepts, and the door handles were quite small. On a human scale, its most alarming feature was that it had a very low profile at just under 39 in (990.6 mm).

The interior styling in the "de Mer" had a barebones functionality to it, more in keeping with its speed trial “airs” than the flashier production vehicles available in showrooms at the time. Instruments were low key, with triangularly configured gauges mounted well behind a three spoke, GT-style steering wheel, around the steering column. The speedometer was positioned on top, and a smaller gauge on either side, each enclosed in its own pod. The interior was finished in red, while passengers gained entry through conventional doors.

Under the hood lay Pontiac’s brand new V-8 engine, the 287 OHV, which was unveiled the year prior. Called the Strato Streak, it was GM's most powerful engine by 1955 and ushered in Pontiac’s high-performance image with the Bonneville, Grand Prix and GTO. This high-output power plant was modified with a high-lift cam and fitted with two four-barrel carburetors to coax power up to a mighty 300 hp. The rear wheels were driven by a rear mounted transaxle, used later in Pontiac's new compact, the 1961 Tempest, on a DiDion Type rigid rear axle with independent suspension.

The design of the aerodynamic wind screens was carried over to the 1955 and 1956 Corvette race cars.In the years that followed, the model kit maker Revell made a 1/25 scale Club de Mer that actually came with 1950s-clad driver and passenger.

Specs:
Pontiac Club de Mer '56 specs.png
Pontiac Club de Mer '56 specs.png (5.7 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
Pontiac Club de Mer '56 rear.jpg
Pontiac Club de Mer '56 side.jpg
Pontiac Club de Mer '56 interior.jpg
Nogai211 wrote:The only reason PC is better than Console is because it has Civilization V!
legacybear
Learner Driver
Learner Driver

Hi there, Tsukishima. It's me, legacybear, the same one from GTPlanet.

First of all, the amount of dedication you and your friends put into this is impressive. I was looking through the list and some manufacturers were completely unknown to me. You learn something new everyday.

I am here because recently I started to make my own dream car list, and I have to say that your work inspires me to keep going. I thought maybe I could just check around here and relax sometimes, this is an interesting topic.

As I've said before, your list inspires me, and that means that some cars you post catch my attention, enough for me to add them to my own list. Don't worry, my list doesn't serve as database or some place to find specs of the cars, so I ain't stealing any work from you. When I look at both lists I see that I have cars that you don't, and that's what I'd like to share here.

See it as a cooperation between us, while this topic keeps walking forward I'll discover new cars around here and in return I'll show you interesting vehicles that are missing.

Best regards, legacybear.
Miao
Drift King
Drift King

legacybear wrote:It's me, legacybear, the same one from GTPlanet.
Yea, I thought it would be this exact legacybear when I saw the name at the "last post author, even though we never really talked, at least I know you from somewhere. Eh, welcome to the forum. Image
legacybear wrote:First of all, the amount of dedication you and your friends put into this is impressive. I was looking through the list and some manufacturers were completely unknown to me. You learn something new everyday.

I am here because recently I started to make my own dream car list, and I have to say that your work inspires me to keep going. I thought maybe I could just check around here and relax sometimes, this is an interesting topic.
Thank you for your kind comment. Stay as much as you want. :)
legacybear wrote: I'll show you interesting vehicles that are missing.
Such as?
Nogai211 wrote:The only reason PC is better than Console is because it has Civilization V!
Viktor Karpenko
Mechanic
Mechanic

legacybear wrote:When I look at both lists I see that I have cars that you don't, and that's what I'd like to share here.
legacybear wrote:I'll show you interesting vehicles that are missing.
There goes my job...
RUF is better than Porsche!

legacybear
Learner Driver
Learner Driver

Tsukishima wrote:
legacybear wrote:It's me, legacybear, the same one from GTPlanet.
Yea, I thought it would be this exact legacybear when I saw the name at the "last post author, even though we never really talked, at least I know you from somewhere. Eh, welcome to the forum.

It's true we have never formally talked before, but I've always enjoyed your car threads at the other forum, most of them.

I see Viktor here too.

Viktor Karpenko wrote:There goes my job...

Sorry.

Tsukishima wrote:[
legacybear wrote: I'll show you interesting vehicles that are missing.

Such as?

The HMC Hidalgo, for example.

And about my dream car list, at this moment it's only a simple Excel table, I only plan on sharing it once it's completed.
Miao
Drift King
Drift King

legacybear wrote: I've always enjoyed your car threads at the other forum, most of them.
I am gonna tell ya a little secret, some of these threads there are only to test the people. Whenever I'm in doubt about a car I make a post there about it, that Pontiac you see on the top got through it and received good reviews. I don't do this with every car though. Image
legacybear wrote:The HMC Hidalgo, for example.
Ok, I admit you know some great cars that I don't. Image
legacybear wrote:And about my dream car list, at this moment it's only a simple Excel table, I only plan on sharing it once it's completed.
Lookin' forward to its release. :rightthumbup:
TheLuigi907
Apprentice
Apprentice

Tsukishima wrote:
legacybear wrote: I've always enjoyed your car threads at the other forum, most of them.
I am gonna tell ya a little secret, some of these threads there are only to test the people. Whenever I'm in doubt about a car I make a post there about it, that Pontiac you see on the top got through it and received good reviews. I don't do this with every car though. Image
And now it's not a secret anymore. :lol:
Off Topic
I really like your new signature, Tsukishima. :mrgreen:
Prepsi
Mechanic
Mechanic

Everything from here because Kim Jong Un.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyeonghwa_Motors" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
死の (Shino)
Mechanic
Mechanic

Gumpert Tornante by Touring Superleggera '11
Gumpert Tornante by Touring Superleggera '11.jpg
The Gumpert Tornante is a two-seater Tourer model created by a cooperation between German supercar maker Gumpert and Carrozzeria Touring Superleggera of Milan, Italy. The model made its debut at the 2011 Geneva Motor Show.

Touring Superleggera has been a part of many memorable cars throughout its history. Such brands as Ferrari, BMW and Alfa Romeo have all seen their models changed and tweaked by this company and thus become even more beautiful. Gumpert felt that they would be the best fit to design the body for the new Tornante and Touring accepted the offer. Because customers wanted more space for the passengers, designers had the challenge of adjusting the chassis to fit. To incorporate larger doors, the lateral member of the chassis was lowered even further in that area. Giving the car a more upright look and feel from the interior is the work of raising the windshield and it’s a-Pillar at a 2.5-degree angle. To make those classic Gullwing doors fit and work more effectively, the B-Pillar was moved towards the rear by 100mm. While making all these changes it became clear that the overall height of the car was going to be higher than originally planned and in final form has reached 1215mm.

The body was designed from a completely blank sheet of paper, even though it looks heavily influenced. By raising the windshield to a higher degree, the car has begun to look like some race cars of the past. Gumpert calls it a clear definition between the waistline and greenhouse. This gives the effect of a bubble on top of a svelte powerful race car. By doing this interior space and visibility is increased. Out back the Tornante is all business with an industrial sized air diffuser which helps the car to increase downforce significantly.

The Tornante includes a V8 biturbo engine. This engine starts life as an Audi block and then is completed by Gumpert to produce 700hp @6,500rpm and 663.8 lb-ft. of torque @4,000rpm. In a car that will only weigh 1,400kg this engine should be able to propel it to some very high speeds in very short times. Use of dry-sump lubrication helps to lower the center of gravity for the engine and the car in general. Helping this engine translate power to the wheels will be an automatic six-speed transmission. The twin-clutch setup will also be controlled by paddle shifters behind the steering wheel. It is capable of completing shifts in 40 milliseconds giving it F1 levels of performance.

Press release:
► Show Spoiler
Specs:
Gumpert Tornante by Touring Superleggera '11 specs.png
Gumpert Tornante by Touring Superleggera '11 specs.png (6.88 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
Gumpert Tornante by Touring Superleggera '11 rear.jpg
Gumpert Tornante by Touring Superleggera '11 side.jpg
Remember: Hacking, not cracking.
Miao
Drift King
Drift King

TheLuigi907 wrote:
Off Topic
I really like your new signature, Tsukishima. :mrgreen:
I was wantin' to get a new one since the beginning of the year, I finally got motivation to change it. :lol:

Return to “The Showroom”