Important site info
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

MadManCK wrote:I use search a lot. :eeek:

Looking forward to the updates. :party:
It won't affect the serch on the forums just the BBcode one above the post box (the one with the little magnifying glass icon) I don't think anyone uses it.
Tsukishima wrote:I'm gonna miss [thumbnail] a lot, that's just the most useful BBCode for usin' when quotin' posts with pictures. :( I guess I will have to go with
► Show Spoiler

Yes the thumbnail one is quite handy but unfortunately will not be compatible with the new mod. :D

One good thing about this new forum software update is it will make updating everything a lot easier so less work for me, the hard part will be getting it all installed and working with the existing database.
At the time of writing this the database alone stands at 100.17 MiB :eeek: (this doesn't include the software that runs the forum plus other bits and pieces an extra 1.5 Gig) :party:
Image Image
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Sorry I haven't been posting much lately but I've been doing a lot of testing of the new forum software. :geek:
This also means I haven been doing much gaming so haven had a lot to talk about anyway, the good news is after some initial testing of the updated software everything is looking good.

I'm still a wile of installing the new version yet as not all of the updated mods are ready yet but I've tested the ones that are and they are now much easier to install and keep up to date. :D (this will mean a lot less work for me in the future)
I have also been asked to do some testing of the new styles for the guys that write them, I will be doing this on my home server as this is where I do all of my testing as it is not a good idea to test things on a live site. :eeek:

The style we use on TDUDT is SE Gamer Dark with a few modification changes I have made myself (a style is what makes the site look the way it dose on your screen)
Once all of the updates have been done I might add some more styles to the forum (including a light version) so that members can pick the one they want to use, I will also be adding a few new and cool mods to the site as and when they are ready.
Image Image
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Update:
Well after 2 weeks of burying my head into the forum code I've finally got a full copy of the site up and running on a test server. :D

The problem was that i had made so many code changes to the forum software and database to get the forum looking the way it is reverting all of this back to a clean install has been a nightmare, however after a lot of testing i have come up with a process that will help to make this easier when i do the live site later on. :ugeek:

I'm still waiting for some of the Extensions (used to be called mods) to be done and also still testing the style to make sure it is working ok with the updated software so still a wile off yet but now i know i can port the forum to the new software and everything works the last 2 weeks have not been wasted.

I am now going to put this project on hold until some of the Extensions catch up then i can take it to the next stage.

Maybe now i can get back to a bit of gaming time. :woot:
Image Image
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Nice job. :2thumbsup:

Now lets see if the transition goes well... :party:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

MadManCK wrote:Nice job. :2thumbsup:

Now lets see if the transition goes well... :party:
As far as I can tell from all of the testing I've done it should go ok :pray: (but you never know on a live site :shock: )
The main problems are that the new update is totally incompatible with the version we use now so this means everything on here will not work on the new site and will either have to be re-coded or left out. :(

As of now only a few Extensions are available that replace the ones we use on TDUDT, but others are being worked on and more will follow. Whether or not all the ones we use will be re-coded is a another matter. (if not I will have to look for alternatives or leave them off the forum :( )

The other problem is the database it is now so large I can no longer restore it the normal way and have to use a program called Big Dump. (in fact it is getting so big my host provider has doubled the bill for backing up the forum each day :shock: )

I am also looking at some new styles for the forum and maybe even have it so members can choose his/her own style and also light and dark styles, however I have noticed one problem with doing this as follows.

On dark styles when members like Tsukishima post using the highlighted text it looks ok on a dark forum but it is hard to read on a light forum. so giving the members a choice of light and dark forums would become a small problem.
Image Image
Miao
Drift King
Drift King

Bezrider wrote:On dark styles when members like Tsukishima post using the highlighted text it looks ok on a dark forum but it is hard to read on a light forum. so giving the members a choice of light and dark forums would become a small problem.
Perhaps I should start usin' purple text from now on. Image
► Show Spoiler
Nogai211 wrote:The only reason PC is better than Console is because it has Civilization V!
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Perhaps I should start usin' purple text from now on. Image
► Show Spoiler
[/quote]
It dose look slightly better but it's still not ideal.
I've only brought this up now to let members know the situation in advance in case I do add this feature as last time I tried it some members liked the light styles but nothing is set in stone yet and a lot will depend on if I decide to stick with the style we use now (comes in light and dark) or go for a completely new style.
Style we use now in light and dark:
(the reason the TDUDT style looks different is because I have taken the base style and modified it. :geek: )
Light
Dark
Also lots of new and cool styles coming out over the next few months :D
Image Image
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Well the bad news is the guy that was updating the style we use has pulled out of the project saying he now hasn't got the time to work on the update. :(
So it looks like I am going to have to look for another style if I'm ever going to get the forum updated (even if it means a temp one till I can find something more suitable.

I usually like to add new items/content to the site every few weeks or months to keep the site fresh and interesting, I have not been doing this for a wile because of needing to get this site update out of the way first.

This is now affecting the running of the forum so I need to get something sorted as soon as I can but not many styles that suite this forum are around yet (lots in development but it is taking a long time to get finished) I may even consider buying a premium style it a suitable one becomes available. :ugeek:
Image Image
Fulysic
Mechanic
Mechanic

Bezrider wrote:Well the bad news is the guy that was updating the style we use has pulled out of the project saying he now hasn't got the time to work on the update. :(
So it looks like I am going to have to look for another style if I'm ever going to get the forum updated (even if it means a temp one till I can find something more suitable.

I usually like to add new items/content to the site every few weeks or months to keep the site fresh and interesting, I have not been doing this for a wile because of needing to get this site update out of the way first.

This is now affecting the running of the forum so I need to get something sorted as soon as I can but not many styles that suite this forum are around yet (lots in development but it is taking a long time to get finished) I may even consider buying a premium style it a suitable one becomes available. :ugeek:

This is bad news I really like the style you have here, but keeping the forum running is just as important if not more.

Maybe in future someone will be able to replicate this style for you
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

I might of found a style I can use on the forum that is compatible with the new and updated software. :geek:
This would mean I could go ahead and get the forum updated and install the new phpBB 3.1.3 software. :D

I have had to pay a few quid for it as it is a premium style, I also need to re-work it a bit and change the design and colours around to suite the forum. :think:

It is not ideal and as yet I don't know if it will be the new permanent style (depends how it works out and how it is accepted by the members) but at the very least it will allow me to get things moving. :D

It will probably take me a week or two getting all of the changes done plus adding some extra code to get things looking the way I want so nothing to see yet. :party:
Image Image

Return to “Forum Announcements and Rules”