Major forum update

Important site info
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

As most of you might already know this forum runs on phpBB software.
On the 28th of October this month a major update to this software will be released, I have updated the forum many times in the past and it is currently on the latest 3.0.12 and up to date.

However this new one is like I say a major one and it will make many changes to the software that this forum runs on including many back end and front end features this also means that all of the mods installed on the forum will now be incompatible and will have to be removed.
New and compatible versions are being wrote but to date none are ready yet this means if I update the software now the forum will not work as it is at the moment, no more ranks no more fancy formatting no more Portal with the side blocks.
So I have decide to wait for a wile and see what mods become available over the next few weeks but I have no guarantee that all of these mods will be updated so some may never be reinstalled. :(
I will keep this thread updated as and when I have more on this. :geek:
Image Image
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Like an old Nascar mechanic once said: if it aint broken, don't fix it.

Or my version; only update the software if the forum benefits from it. :mrgreen:

:character-blues:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

MadManCK wrote: only update the software if the forum benefits from it. :mrgreen:

I couldn't agree more but the problem is if I don't eventually upgrade then the software will slowly become outdated and that leaves it open to hackers and becomes a security risk. :eeek:
Apart from the fact that I wont be able to install any new modifications. :(
A lot of phpBB forums will be in facing the same problems over the next few months I guess we will just have to see how it all pans out. :party:
Image Image
Fulysic
Mechanic
Mechanic

MadManCK wrote:Like an old Nascar mechanic once said: if it aint broken, don't fix it.

Or my version; only update the software if the forum benefits from it. :mrgreen:

Couldn't agree more MadmanCK

Bez do you have test server you can test forum updates and upgrades on and see how it reacts
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Fulysic wrote: Bez do you have test server you can test forum updates and upgrades on and see how it reacts
Yes I have a home server with an exact copy of the forum installed that I use to do all my testing on. :ugeek:
The problem with the new update is that it is so extensive it is totally incompatible with everything installed on this version.
This would mean having to strip everything down to the basic phpBB prosilver/subsilver version and build up again with all new versions of the mods, this will be a lot of work. :techie-typing:
Image Image
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Than better wait untill all compatible versions of those mods have become available.

The current forum features are pretty cool. Maybe the new sofware allows some new, other or different extentions as well.

We used to have a game room for example :mrgreen:

:party:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Fulysic
Mechanic
Mechanic

Yeah it wont take those modders long to work out the new updates and bring addons up to speed especially once people start complaining my mods don't work fit :occasion-snowman:
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Just a small update on how this is going.
The first mod that TDUTD uses is finished, its the one that gives us all that fancy stuff above the post box that we use when posting like the Glow Text and the ability to embed videos and so on however when it is eventually installed with the updated software (not for a wile yet) some of the features will not be carried over due to incompatibility. :( (see box below)

Most of these are not used on this forum anyway but a few are: anchor, search, table and especially thumbnail so if you use any of these it will be best to stop using them now as I will eventually be fading then out ready for the new. :geek:

Code: Select all

[anchor], [click], [grad], [hr], [search], [table], [tabs], [tab], [thumbnail]
[collegehumor], [dm], [flv], [gamespot], [ignvideo], [liveleak], [quicktime], [ram], [scrippet], [stream], [veoh], [video]
[ed2k], [Imgshack], [rapidshare], [testlink], [wave], [web]
Image Image
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

I use search a lot. :eeek:

Looking forward to the updates. :party:

Miao
Drift King
Drift King

I'm gonna miss [thumbnail] a lot, that's just the most useful BBCode for usin' when quotin' posts with pictures. :( I guess I will have to go with
► Show Spoiler
Nogai211 wrote:The only reason PC is better than Console is because it has Civilization V!

Return to “Forum Announcements and Rules”