New Board Features and Modifications

Important site info
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Now that the site has moved I will be adding new features and modifications to the forum over the next few weeks.

Hopefully this will give TDU Drivetime it's own unique style, at the moment it is running under a basic phppBB style template "Prosilver" by installing a custom template it will give me more scope to add better Features and Modifications to the site that will benefit the members and make the site easier and more fun to use.

As I add features and modifications to the site I will post in this thread to let the members know what has been added and any instructions on how to use them, minor changes like the fact I have changed the smilie box so it doesn't go half way down the page now (just click on View more smilies) will not need to be put here, Oh I just did :loll:
Image Image
davejc64
Rookie
Rookie

Looking great, I especially like the light blue background so try to keep that if possible. ;)

One small problem I have on Chrome for some reason I can't log in, so I have to use Safari for this site, if no one else is having this problem I will have to check and fiddle with the settings on Chrome!
SORRY! - Signature currently unavailable - Please try again later!
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

davejc64 wrote:Looking great, I especially like the light blue background so try to keep that if possible. ;)

One small problem I have on Chrome for some reason I can't log in, so I have to use Safari for this site, if no one else is having this problem I will have to check and fiddle with the settings on Chrome!
I made a post about the login probs. Clean your cookies to get rid of the problem ;)
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
davejc64
Rookie
Rookie

MadManCK wrote:I made a post about the login probs. Clean your cookies to get rid of the problem ;)
Thanks MM, job done! :woot:
SORRY! - Signature currently unavailable - Please try again later!
Psysim
Learner Driver
Learner Driver

I like the new style of board and epic smilies, but I have noticed two things (just pointing them out, not a complaint) that would be good to see fixed....

The host server's clock seems to be wrong by 1 hour, this can be fixed within settings but putting yourself -1hr under the timezone setting.

The second issue is that BB codes for flash do not seem to work.
Example:

Code: Select all

[flash=100,100]http://www.somedomain.com/flash_here.swf[/flash]
It could be that the phpBB I've used before had an add-on for flash, it could be that flash posting is for moderators and administrators only. I able to post flash BBcodes on another phpBB forum, but I also had the privileges.

Finally a question, how's the spam/bot sign ups been so far? Anything significant enough for testing a unique script?
<?php
if ($indoubt) { echo "do nowt" ; }
else { echo "Execute the bar-steward" ; }
?>
Opps, there slips Atari.
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Psysim wrote:I like the new style of board and epic smilies, but I have noticed two things (just pointing them out, not a complaint) that would be good to see fixed....

The host server's clock seems to be wrong by 1 hour, this can be fixed within settings but putting yourself -1hr under the timezone setting.

The second issue is that BB codes for flash do not seem to work.
Example:

Code: Select all

[flash=100,100]http://www.somedomain.com/flash_here.swf[/flash]
It could be that the phpBB I've used before had an add-on for flash, it could be that flash posting is for moderators and administrators only. I able to post flash BBcodes on another phpBB forum, but I also had the privileges.

Finally a question, how's the spam/bot sign ups been so far? Anything significant enough for testing a unique script?
First thanks for the nice words on the forum, still got lots planed for the forum when I get the time. :techie-studyinggray:

Now down to your questions: :ugeek:
Thanks for pointing out the clock sync I really hadn't noticed it before, will look into it :oops:

as for the flash its disabled for members, but if you want it let me know and I will enable it for all the members. :)

The spamming seems to have stopped since I setup extra spambot measures with questions, why do you have something in mind ? :think:
Image Image
Psysim
Learner Driver
Learner Driver

Yay, I looked at my PC and wondered what was going on, if I'd forgotten to change the clock or something, but then I worked out I wasn't going nuts :P
Bezrider wrote:The spamming seems to have stopped since I setup extra spambot measures with questions, why do you have something in mind ? :think:
In short, I started the epic task of writing my own bulletin board style of application, in the process I started writing a unique script with email token activation and 2 humanity checks, I'm kind of looking for a reliable test environment for the script as well as a source of example of automated behavior. The script isn't far off, I need to develop a config and a un-config, once done I will be looking into compatability with other user based php applications, mainly forums and WP.

I'd be relying on a word based (not captcha) with multiple choice answers (which a standard spam-bot can't fathom) to prove actual humanity, followed by a system of stripping an IP address, converting it to a MD5 encryption, then stripping that MD5 of alphanumerical characters, taking a small specific part of the stripped MD5 to make a unique ID that the user then has to complete with the other half. sounds messy eh?
<?php
?>
Opps, there slips Atari.
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Psysim wrote:Yay, I looked at my PC and wondered what was going on, if I'd forgotten to change the clock or something, but then I worked out I wasn't going nuts :P
Bezrider wrote:The spamming seems to have stopped since I setup extra spambot measures with questions, why do you have something in mind ? :think:
In short, I started the epic task of writing my own bulletin board style of application, in the process I started writing a unique script with email token activation and 2 humanity checks, I'm kind of looking for a reliable test environment for the script as well as a source of example of automated behavior. The script isn't far off, I need to develop a config and a un-config, once done I will be looking into compatability with other user based php applications, mainly forums and WP.

I'd be relying on a word based (not captcha) with multiple choice answers (which a standard spam-bot can't fathom) to prove actual humanity, followed by a system of stripping an IP address, converting it to a MD5 encryption, then stripping that MD5 of alphanumerical characters, taking a small specific part of the stripped MD5 to make a unique ID that the user then has to complete with the other half. sounds messy eh?
Sounds complicated :ugeek: my head hurts :laughing-rolling:
Image Image
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Sounds like a digital Doorman. Can be useful. :occasion-snowman:

The few spammers that came through have been dealt with, smoothly and swiftly. Current filter seems to work well.

Only way to test a script like that is to disable all other counter spam measures. But it sounds interesting.
Just make sure to back up everything twice first :loll:

:character-blues:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Psysim
Learner Driver
Learner Driver

MadManCK wrote:Only way to test a script like that is to disable all other counter spam measures.
<?php
include(second-anti-spam.php);
include(simon-opens-a-can-of-whoopass.php);
?>
:loll:

On a serious note, there's also a handy trick using timezones :D I've decided to install a few different forums to test some ideas. Anywho, I've dragged this thread far off topic and into the depths of php and spam....

so err yeah....
<?php
?>
Opps, there slips Atari.

Return to “Forum Announcements and Rules”