Steam In-Home Streaming: Steam Link

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

This technology lets you stream games from a powerful game PC to your laptop, TV or other devices.

Looks very interesting. :party:

http://store.steampowered.com/streaming?snr=1_41_4__42" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know about lag, but this allows you to play high end games from a simple laptop, as long as it is capable of H264 video acceleration and connected through your home network with your gaming rig.

:spy:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

If this works it will be awesome but I guess you'll need a fast connection for it to run smoothly.
Image Image
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

I wonder if you can use your TV if it has Smart TV functionality.

I do have some HDMI stick somewhere, lol. With Android on it. That is Linux based as well. It can turn any TV into a smart TV as long as it has a HDMI port available. :mrgreen:

But i can easily see where this is going. You will only need a smart TV with a fast internet connection to be able to stream-play games in the near future. No more need for an expensive gaming rig.
This is some kind of in between solution, where your gaming rig becomes the server.

But turning your home network into a private lan party is also something cool to do, haha

Steam is way ahead with all kinds of cool stuff. Pushing boundaries every day. Maybe EA will come to its senses and start distributing games through Steam again. Origin will never reach Steam level and neither will Uplay or other launchers.

:spy:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

The product has become Steam Link

It is reasonably priced hardware. It allows you to steam games in 1080p/60fps from your game rig to a big screen TV.

In a way a competitor to the Nvidia Shield Solution.

Even if it supports WiFi connections, i would always opt for hardwire through your network to reduce the amount of lag. :geek:

Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

This is already on my Steam wish list, its now going on my Christmas list. :D
Image Image
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

I grabbed the Steam Link during the sales. The mailman just dropped it at my door, so now i can try this out.
Probably during the weekend when i have some more time.

I still have a wired Razer Onza Tournament somewhere. I'll hook that up and will try to stream some games from my HTPC. Should be fun.

:party:

Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

MadManCK wrote:I grabbed the Steam Link during the sales. The mailman just dropped it at my door, so now i can try this out.
Probably during the weekend when i have some more time.

I still have a wired Razer Onza Tournament somewhere. I'll hook that up and will try to stream some games from my HTPC. Should be fun.

:party:
Twice this week I almost got one of these but every time my mouse pointer was hovering over the buy button I hesitated because I am unsure how good it will look on my 4K TV. :|
The problem is it says it will stream at 1080p resolution at 60 FPS, according to the TV manual it will upscale 1080p to near 4K but in doing this will it cause lag and if not how will this look on my 4K TV. :?
Image Image
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Most content you will watch is not 4K yet. So the TV does most of the scaling. It works pretty well. As it is a simple 4x upscale. It will look slightly better than a normal Full HD TV. And there is always some lag from streaming through the network as well.

As long as you do not play games that require nano sec decision making, it will be all right. And playing on the big screen is awesome.
I will test this later this week, so i will get back with a short review.

Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

MadManCK wrote:
As long as you do not play games that require nano sec decision making, it will be all right. And playing on the big screen is awesome.
I will test this later this week, so i will get back with a short review.
Look forward to the review before I pull the trigger. :P
Image Image
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Hooking up was easy, a welcome screen popped up on my good old 32" TV

Unfortunately it did not work with my Razor Onza Tournament wired controller. That uses the same settings as a MS X360 controller. So i have to postpone any further tests.
Maybe i will have to use a keyboard to enter the first settings, but it was supposed to work with controller only.

No time right now.

Return to “PC”