PC Upgrades

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

MadManCK wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:22 pm

Should i pick the green and black or plain green one? It is hard to visualize without test fitting them.
I tend to go for the mixed one as it looks more interesting. Kermit will disagree.
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Maybe

Or custom

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

The custom ones look awesome. :2thumbsup:

For now i just ordered the Cable Mod extension kit from Highflow.
I went for the black and green extension kit. :mrgreen:
I also did a quick inventory and discovered a bitspower temp sensor and splitterblock. So i already had them covered, lol :lol:
As i ordered from Highflow, i also grabbed some universal mounting brackets*, a can of compressed air and a few extra stops.

*I'm not sure the mounting rails, that came with the Cosmos II, are suited to fit a thick and heavy 240/60 rad with push/pull fans mounted on them. As these universal mounts are 90 degree angled, they will fit everywhere and also will give me some more mounting options.
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Okay which of the extention kit types, there 2x 6pin and 6+8pin options, i hope you got the right one, as the Titan XP needs 6+8 pin PCI-E cables.

I think the black/green is a nice option and 30 euros isn't to expensive when you just want to test it out.

btw. how are you actually going to be mounting the EK revo D5 combo unit? You have a plan for that yet or will have take that as it comes ?

- -

OMFG now it is snowing outside and it was 12*c yesterday.. global warming FTW :lol:
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Yeah, i got the 6+8 pin one. I have the custom carbon fibre 14 comb coming in from MNPCTech.

Maybe i will do custom sleeving and hard tubing in my next build, who knows. I can also upgrade this system again.
Problem is that i do not really have a machine shop or building space, like i used to. And doing customizing on cases etc, requires drilling, filing and other stuff you do not want close to electronical components. One of the reasons why i will leave the case close to stock, with the exception of the plexi modified door.

Making a good shoppinglist of what you need is key for reducing shipment costs. :geek:
So far i have not done bad, but i could have reduced the amount of shipments from EK and Highflow with better planning.

Sometimes good ideas just pop up after you made your initial buys. Or even during a build. :party:

The pump/top/res will sit next to my motherboard. The Cosmos is a big case with plenty of room. I also have an extended reservoir tube to fit on it. And i have the unimount from EK, that will allow both vertikal or horizontal mounting. I will most likely place it on the raised floor of the middle compartment. Other option is to mount it on the back with clamps. The EK mount can also be fitted on a radiotor with 12 cm fan mounts. I won't do that, but can use anti vibration rings for fans to place underneath it. D5 will only be loud at higher speeds.
Leaving the pump at 40% will make it run quiet.

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Sound like a plan ;)

I run my D5 at 50% and the pump runs at about 2125 RPM and is whisper quiet, and it is using the AI Suite software fan curves, so once/if the coolant goes over 37*c it'll go to 100% along with the 3x 140mm 1600 rpm radiator fans, but the coolant only got 37 with the GTX 970 in the loop, since then has been at 29 max of what i have seen.
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

So my mate just his new RX 470 and 430w PSU and went to leave a terrified message saying nothing fits, GPU is to big and cables doesn't fit the on the motherboard. :lol:

But his dumpster HP PC has a M-ATX motherboard 24x24 cm and the RX 470 is 23 cm, so has to fit, granted it might have been the PCI-E slot covers that he didn't understand to removed and just thought the sky was falling. And the PSU with the 8 pin CPU power put together and if he didn't see the PCI-E slot covers as an issue then he would also not have noticed the 4+4 8pin CPU power cables could be split in two.

But his at work now, but told him to send some pictures and then i'll tell him what to do.

It's sometimes hard to picture people not seeing the simplicity of PC building as it is so easy, but apparently also scary for PC noobs. :mrgreen:

edit:
I found this HP guide showing how to remove a PCI-E slot cover on a HP case, something normal pc builders could do with think of it, but HP clearly had a need for it and my childhood friend showed this video was tailored to him, it just funny that as guy hims a video camera buff knows nothing about a PC at all so long as it is running. :mrgreen:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01177594
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Maybe his PSU has the old motherboard connections. He can use a simple adapter for that. Looks bad, but works.

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

MadManCK wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:08 pm Maybe his PSU has the old motherboard connections. He can use a simple adapter for that. Looks bad, but works.

Nah it is MSI that have made it so it uses normal ATX standards, but low-end at that.

But this is the motherboard it is a M-ATX has a 24pin and 4pin like any regular low-end motherboards have, so so the PSU should just plug in and work with it.

imageServlet.jpg

And he has a 2x 4 GB 1333 mhz ram and a Intel Core i3 550 @ 3,2 GHz and 2 cores and 4 threads so it is actually not bad at all, considering that still intel sells in its Core i3 line up, and when you pair it with a RX 470 that is pre overclocked as it is the Gigabyte RX 470 G1 Gaming version, and then maybe a SSD down the road it is a pretty strong budget built. But i would have bought a GTX 970 but he wanted new parts.

And with Ryzen 3 comming this summer it could be a good time to upgrade the motherboard, ram and CPU ;)
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Lol, that 4 pin is placed at the worst possible spot. But it has the proper connectors. So any modern PSU should work.
Maybe he forgot to connect something, so it would not boot.

RX470 should be backwards compatible with older PCI-E standards. :party:
Usually the new cards have an adapter with it to feed the power on the GFX.

The other possibility is that the factory PSU does not give enough juice. :geek:

Return to “PC”