PC Upgrades

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

MadManCK wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:43 pm Lol, that 4 pin is placed at the worst possible spot. But it has the proper connectors. So any modern PSU should work.
Maybe he forgot to connect something, so it would not boot.

RX470 should be backwards compatible with older PCI-E standards. :party:
Usually the new cards have an adapter with it to feed the power on the GFX.

The other possibility is that the factory PSU does not give enough juice. :geek:

I think he just looked at it and couldn't see how it would work. And doing abit of research on the Corsair CX430's cables i found this picture of the cables, see the 8pin CPU power cable's sleeving how it is has to be broken apart by force to split into 4pin cpu power. And if my mate's cpu power cable looked like this one then i really can't fault him for not knowing it could be broken in two, as it could have giving a skilled system builder a scratch in the back of the head. :P

123687_2236_draft.jpg

And the HD 6450 was a PCI-E 2.1 card so the motherboard most likely have PCI-E 2.0 so a PCI-E 3.0 card like the RX 470 will just run at a slower bit rate.

And if i had my way then i set the cooling up like this, and pressure the air in in the bottom blocking the original passive air flow mesh in the bottom and then have a 120 on the side panel and flip the original 80 around to suck in air (seen people mount a 120 in the front of the case too) and then exhaust with the PSU's 120 fan and maybe mount a 92 fan up top as there is passive mesh airflow openings on both side of the cases' top. It should be enough to not starve the RX 470 as it can run abit hot, i think 70-80*c under stress is about what i think i can expect to see as i have not yet seen the new Gigabyte windforce x2 cooler's temps yet, but i have a good feeling that the top might get pretty toasty fast.

Cooler seems very decent, 3 heatpipe direct contact. 8-)

Would have to dril and mount the fans with zipties, i'm pretty much doing what Kyle from Bitwit did with his Sleeper HP highend build last year.

kabinet2.jpg
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Passive cooling alone won't do. But you can stick to only a 12cm intake and 12cm exhaust fan, if that fits. Cases like this are pretty straight forward. Just let the intake run a bit faster for over pressure.
Improved airflow in the case is a must with a video card like that.
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Meltdown protocol deactivated :shock:

Lol so my mate in the hard new hardware, and it seems to be running well so far.

But to the PSU in with the fan up was a NO GO, he surprised me by just starting the build himself so he looked at the PSU box and thought it should be fan up, there is a 1-2 gab the PSU and the roof in the case so could have worked but it would be starved of air as the hot air raises up. So had him swap it around with the fan down now, so meltdowns today.

But the cables are a mess, beats me he has shoved the cables in under the DVD drive, but i'll have him monitor the temps while playing abit of GTA5, should be a good test for his upgraded system, i think he'll be surprised by it.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

No real places to hide the cables with old cases like that. :lol:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

MadManCK wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:58 am No real places to hide the cables with old cases like that. :lol:

Yup and that is why i want a very positive airflow in the case, to force air in, up and out as easy as possible to lower the temps.

Had a look at the his idle GPU-Z and it was 46*c with the fans not running, and i stil wait for load temps in GTA5 but he had some issues with GTA5 as they updated it and he runs GTA with mods.

But the cards base clock is 1260 mhz, i think it might boost higher in games, but won't know for sure until i see the GPU-Z sensor readout.

But so far so good.

Might get him to run 3DMark if i'm lucky. :mrgreen:
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Now he has 2x exit fans

One intake at the front would sure benefit the airflow. Does not need more i think. Easy fix.

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Yea, but a 120mm on the sidepanel is the optimal placement for a fan, as the front is so restrictive for the airflow, but new to drill 4 holes and use 4 ziptimes to mount it.

But if we flipped the 80mm fan at the bottom to be an intake that would help too, but only worry is high dust built up, so it would be pulling in unfiltered air, but the case needs so upgrades, or just to be replace with a new case once it dies and he upgrade again.
Last edited by Beardroid91 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Flipping the 80 will make the PSU fan the exit fan alone. Not a good solution.
He does need a 12cm intake fan. In the door can be a solution. Front does look full of metal. But is more easy to mount maybe.
A new case would solve a lot of issues indeed. All depends on budget and patience.

Back to my build; Highflow has already sent me the package. Next day delivery there, lol. So i already got my sleeved extensions.

Now i really need my motherboard. :D

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

I told him to keep GPU-Z running while he played, and he said he saw 70*c on the GPU after 1-2 hours, so not to bad, but i think we can do better, but it is a long trip to see him as lives 150 km away, but i think his PC is good as is for now.

Cool, so now the build only needs a motherboard ;) have torn the old rig apart and put it into the smaller case yet?

But yea hope you get that motherboard soon.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

I will only start, once i have all parts here. I need some new parts for the old rig. :)

PS 70 degrees on the GFX from your friend is a good number. So leave that as it is. 8-)

Return to “PC”