PC Upgrades

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Bezrider wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:11 pm Yes this had to happen just when my graphics card decided to die on me. :angry-banghead:

At the moment i am using two of my friends old GTX 250's in SLI just to get me by till i find a decent card to buy or at least the price drops to a more sensible state. :facepalm:

Ah Bez, that sucks, wasn't that a GTX 780 Ti ?
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Beardroid91 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:05 pm
Bezrider wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:11 pm Yes this had to happen just when my graphics card decided to die on me. :angry-banghead:

At the moment i am using two of my friends old GTX 250's in SLI just to get me by till i find a decent card to buy or at least the price drops to a more sensible state. :facepalm:

Ah Bez, that sucks, wasn't that a GTX 780 Ti ?
Yes it was. :(

Just turned the PC on one day and the screen was blank, :shock: knew at once it was the graphics card so last week i borrowed two GTX 250's from a friend just to see me over till i can get a new one. :)

Sold the dead one on eBay and got £56 for it, just posted it this morning, nothing to what i paid for it but at least i got something. :roll:

Just hope i can get a GTX 1070 for a decent price, don't think i can afford anything better at the moment. :(
Image Image
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

You should jump on the GTX 1070 Ti when it comes out in good numbers, btw, decent price for the old card, they can likely just bake it and have the solder reset itself and it is good to go again. ;)
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Beardroid91 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:30 pm You should jump on the GTX 1070 Ti when it comes out in good numbers
My local PC shop has some in stock but not cheap. :o
Link: https://www.falconcomputers.co.uk/catal ... -100000996

Will keep an eye on it. ;)
Image Image
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Damn, expensive, but didn't the Bitcoin just crash alot this week ? That'll surely make an impact on the miners, also the difficulty of the mining coins is to very high, so it is likely not going to be affordable to use normal GPU's much more.
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Yes Bitcoin has taken a dive but prices haven't moved yet. :angry-tappingfoot:
Image Image
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Yea it is a shame, but then again one of my British friends made 20K pounds on Bitcoin just buying the coins when they were low and selling at the peak, but he was a nervous wreck the whole time as he wanted to cash out all the time but kept it going anyway 8-)

Btw. had a guy offer me a Fractal Define C and a Corsair H100 v2 plus money for my watercooling gear, so tempting but i don't want the CPU cooler, as i my big tower air cooler next. But the Define C is a nice looking case, and much better suited for a aircooler set up as the Define S would be way to big without watercooling parts.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

For bitcoin you need special mining gear and setup. Using GFX is not really worth it anymore, i think. But other crypto coins like Etherium are very popular right now. Bitcoin has behaved like a bubble. Those who sold it in time got rich, others are in tears or still rich. And governments try to get a grip on it.

Too bad GFX prizes are suffering from webshop pulling a fast one on it. Nvidia already stepped in and wants them to sell only 2 cards per customer. They even have made special BIOS for crypto miners, so did AMD. It is big business for them, but at the same time they see the gamers market suffer. People who want to upgrade now, are confronted with ridiculous price raises, depending on the type of cards.

In that regard, it is even more lucrative to buy a Titan from Nvidia directly, than a GTX1080ti :lol:

A GTX1070 will perform at a similar level as 2x GTX780ti in SLI or 2x GTX970 in SLI.
The GTX1070ti is almost as good as a GTX1080.

Every niche in the market is filled now. And they will not launch new cards as quick as previously.

I might still have a GTX780ti laying around somewhere...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptocurrency

PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

@Mad

Did you see this Linustechtips video yet, liquid metal on a laptop CPU/GPU die and it dropped the temps 20*c, it is insane that the thermal paste could be that bad. :o

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

I did not see that one yet, but it is insane if true. :eeek:
Manufacturers could easily increase both performance and stability by applying better thermal paste during assembly.

Did they test this on a single laptop or more than one from different brands?

I unsubbed their channel due to cheesy commercials :P

Edit; This is no easy fix common users can do. But Linus might have added some food for conversation between chip makers and laptop fabricators. 8-)
I have just seen the vid. No delidding as the cooling solution is mounted directly on the mobile chip versions.

Still not something you can do easily, with complex coolers like that. So it remains sloppy to use such bad paste. For manufacturers liquid metal is no option. But i'm sure other paste can do miracles already.
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang

Return to “PC”