PC Upgrades

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Atm. im researching a cooling upgrade for my system, plus some better lights, this time some red leds to highlight some parts, this summers modding project :mrgreen:

The cooling upgrade is for the graphic card which i plan on overclocking, but for that it needs some more fresh air to keep chilly, and atm. my case's top level only has one fan intake. My plan is to make a mount for another 120mm fan to slide in 3 of the 5,25 drivebays in the front.
Just done ordering the needed parts. I swap the original Noctua intake fan with a new Silverstone air penetrator to push the fresh air further into the case and under the GPU, the Noctua fan then goes to the to the new front intake mount in the front, to feed the cpu cooler with fresh chilly air 8-)

Lol as nobody would understand what im going on about, then i made a drawing of the future cooling setup in my case that i talk about ;)
My future cooling setup in my case
My future cooling setup in my case
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Nice schematics. That setup is capable of cooling a CF layout as well. Can you make the Air penetrator temp adjustable, or just control it with the fan controller? It can become noisy at full speed.

Be careful with overclocking that GFX with stock cooler. I wouldn't push it more than 5-10%. Already gives a significant boost in FPS and overall performance.

Good luck with the project. :rightthumbup:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Thanks Mad, yes i can, don't you see the 2 fancontrolers, the 3x will control that toplevel fan intakes, and the rest of the fans will run of the 6x fancontroler, i have thought it through :D

As for the overclock, then plan clock it as the black edition of my card is clocked, or alittle less, but anyway i'll look at what others are doing. And I know for a fact that my PSU is powerfull enoigh to surport an oc cpu and gpu, cause as I ran stress tests then my 12 v stayed above the listed power of the 12v ;)

But anyway wont get the parts for a week maybe 2
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

When i overclocked my GPU it began to run worse... so my card don't like to be OC'ed

But if i can't OC it then i can atleast make it run quieter, when i get get the parts for my cooling upgrade, and this is the reason i choose the Silverstone air penetrator to supply fresh air to my graphic card. Because this fan can send a small tornado of fresh air further into the case / under the graphic card, like nobodies business :lol:

[BBvideo 640,360][/BBvideo]
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Wow big difference in the air flow, didn't expect that :o
Image Image
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

I was bored while looking at my graphic cards temperature, so i made an impulse decision to take it apart and change the crappy stock thermal paste, i test my cards (XFX HD 7950 DD) temps. with FurMark before i changed the paste, which i'll compare later in post.

Lol when i got the cooler of the card the stock paste didn't even cover the whole GPU chip, totally shine as if it were new :eeek:

So i put some the Noctua paste i had gotten for the CPU on the the chip, and put it back together again.
My results
My results
Screenshot 2014-06-12 22.29.16.png (2.27 KiB) Viewed 6908 times
And it would seem that voiding the warranty for a better running card was worth it :mrgreen: And lol as it is XFX i might not even have voided it 8-)

Hmm have anyone here tried to de-lid an Intel core cpu? because those A-holes at Intel cheaped out one the thermal compound...
_____

Btw. Bez the table feature needs some rework, i could get it to work right, so had use excel :mrgreen:
Last edited by Beardroid91 on Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
grimx133
Rookie
Rookie

XFX and EVGA have been good about using aftermarket cooling without warranty issues. I had to send a couple cards back to evga a few yers ago. No problems at all! The cards always seem to come with way too much paste on the gpu.
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

That's quite a big difference on load, was definitely worth doing :2thumbsup:
(yes the table feature is award to use but I have 17,465 other things on my to-do list first :loll: that's why I need another mod so I can concentrate on other forum stuff.)
Image Image
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Or in my case to little paste ;)
Bezrider wrote:That's quite a big difference on load, was definitely worth doing :2thumbsup:
(yes the table feature is award to use but I have 17,465 other things on my to-do list first :loll: that's why I need another mod so I can concentrate on other forum stuff.)
Hehe okay .. Bez you make the forum better step by step 8-)
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

This reminds me a bit of a Saab Tuner who was able to get 15-20 more HP by just carefully disassembling and reassembling the engine. :shock:

Using good thermal paste with an as thin as possible layer is very important for maximum heath dissipation. Bear has just shown how much better you can do by applying good thermal paste yourself.

The reason why there is usually too much paste on the factory card is because it is applied mechanically and not by a person. This also explains why sometimes parts of the chip are not covered. Just a drop in the middle of the GPU and mount the cooler, lol. They usually don't use bad thermal paste, but exchanging it for top quality stuff can already bring temp back a few degrees.

Good tip from Bear. :rightthumbup:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang

Return to “PC”