r9 270x black screen and striped screen

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
Prepsi
Mechanic
Mechanic

okay so my rig specs are
xfx dd r9 270x, i7 950, rx 750 sb, corsair 6gb, and im running off my psu's power cables, not the ones from xfx.
every 30 mins or so after i boot i get either a black screen or a striped screen with 2 colors on it, both of which i cannot ctrl alt delete out of. i've had 2 cards with the same issue. the 460 does not do this. i've tried every troubleshooting solution in the book:
uninstalling nvidia drivers [my old card was a 460]
getting rid of all things nvidia from my registry via regedit
uninstalling and reinstalling amd drivers
trying 460 out [it didnt glitch out]
installing new bios
resetting cpu overclock settings
none of these have worked. these have all been suggested and tried by both xfx and amd support to no avail. i am really at my wits end here and am really ready to trade this card in and get something from nvidia, but i figured i'd give it 1 last chance with you guys. if this seems poorly typed out it's because i dont know when this is going to happen again.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

After you have uninstalled the NVidia drivers, always use CCleaner to get rid of all left over traces of those drivers.

But this does not sound like a driver issue.
More like a memory fail. Maybe one of the memory modules on the new card is not good.
Or it overheats somehow.

You can run a diagnostic program to be sure.

But i guess you will need to get another one from XFX. Their guarantee is good.

:character-blues:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

As this is happening 30 min after the boot it sounds like an overheating problem to me, what I mean by this is that one of the circuits on the board could have a very, very fine crack in it.
This would not be wide enough to brake the connection on the board as it would be very fine but as the board heats up and expands it will get to a point where the connection will expand to a point that will brake the circuit.
Once the card cools down it will shrink and connect again and the process will repeat ( it will eventually fail altogether)
Just an idea :idea: (had a similar problem with a laptop graphics card)
Image Image
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Sorry to hear that :(

Have you tried to watch the temps. of the core, vram and the vrm ?

Try watching the temps with gpu-z

To me it sounds indeed like an overheating problem, the vram and wrm are know to crash cards

Btw what is you room temp when this is happening?
Prepsi
Mechanic
Mechanic

MadManCK wrote:After you have uninstalled the NVidia drivers, always use CCleaner to get rid of all left over traces of those drivers.

More like a memory fail. Maybe one of the memory modules on the new card is not good.
Or it overheats somehow.

like i said i had 2 cards with the same issue
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Prepsi wrote:
MadManCK wrote:After you have uninstalled the NVidia drivers, always use CCleaner to get rid of all left over traces of those drivers.

Or it overheats somehow.

like i said i had 2 cards with the same issue
Than they are both from the same bad batch :shock: .
If it was something in your PC, the other card would have shown issues as well.

XFX is known to be good quality. But maybe there is a production issue on this type.
Are there more players with similar issues?

Have you tried older or newer ATI drivers? :geek:

If nothing works, maybe get back to Nvidia :whistle:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

MadManCK wrote: XFX is known to be good quality. But maybe there is a production issue on this type.
Are there more players with similar issues?
Correction XFX used to be known as a good quality brand .. But man the mighty have fallen!

Just take a look at my graphic card (XFX HD 7950 DD) it coilwrines and the cooler sucks big time and they used crap chips with no temperature monitoring option, so you can't watch the temps on the RAM and VRM chips...

I've had nothing but XFX cards in pc's the last 8 years, and my HD 6850 was good, but the new HD 7950 is barely fine.

This was the last time i would buy cards from XFX, next card will be from Gigabyte, MSI, Sapphire etc. brands that know their stuff 8-)
Prepsi
Mechanic
Mechanic

well i got rid of the r9 and got a 760 and have no complaints, runs everything even better than the r9 :2thumbsup:
plus it comes with watch dogs :D
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Prepsi wrote:well i got rid of the r9 and got a 760 and have no complaints, runs everything even better than the r9 :2thumbsup:
Sounds like a good trade :mrgreen:

PS Now you can use Shadowplay to record your gameplay :party:

Prepsi
Mechanic
Mechanic

MadManCK wrote:
Prepsi wrote:well i got rid of the r9 and got a 760 and have no complaints, runs everything even better than the r9 :2thumbsup:
Sounds like a good trade :mrgreen:

PS Now you can use Shadowplay to record your gameplay :party:
i could with the gaming evolved app too :lol:

Return to “PC”