How do I apply thermal paste on a CPU

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
Prepsi
Mechanic
Mechanic

Alright, so ever since I got my mobo back I've been experiencing random CPU spikes in some of the most mundane applications [30 percent cpu usage while watching 1 utube vid] and my CPU, even at stock clocks, has been exceeding 86C in benchmarks. I've narrowed the problem down to badly applied thermal paste and I was just wondering what the best way to apply it was. Thanks for reading.
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

It all depends on the compound of thermal paste, personally I use the premium Noctua NT-H1 paste.

Remember clean the cpu of old paste before you apply new paste !

You can most of the time use the dot method, meaning you apply a dot in the middle of the cpu in the mobo. And then it spreads out when you theighten the cpu heater spreader. That's was the no brained version.

But pensonally I use the X method (thats really good when you are dealing with a big heat spreader), you apply it in a X going from corner to corner with thin lines in a X, using this method you imo. get the best paste spread ;)
___

Btw which cpu / cpu cooler / paste are you going to use ?
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

When you want the best heat dissappation, the layer must be as thin as possible.

Apply a drop in the middle of the CPU and use an old credit card to spread it evenly to all sides.
Make sure the CPU cooler makes good contact by moving it around a little bit and don't remove it anymore. To avoid airbubbles.

Mounting it the right way can save you up to 10 degrees in cooling performance.

Good luck. :ugeek:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Mad, I wouldn't recormend the creditcard method on anything but a graphic card, as it is known to create airbobbels, the dot (drobe) or X method is much better and cleaner to do and leave a 8/10 better result ;)

Lol i have spent hours looking for the best possible way to apply thermal paste, and the dot (drobe) or X method is by far the best ones, as they leave a air free connection between the cpu and cooler 8-)

But the X method is my favorite ;)

But lastly Prepsy, if you are cooler temps then buy a quality paste, you can't go wrong with Noctua's NT-H1 :mrgreen:
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Bear304 wrote:Mad, I wouldn't recormend the creditcard method on anything but a graphic card, as it is known to create airbobbels, the dot (drobe) or X method is much better and cleaner to do and leave a 8/10 better result ;)
On the contrary. It is the best method to create a thin as possible layer of thermal paste. Where your method is most likely to cover the whole CPU, it is also most likely a very thick layer of paste. The thinner the better. The paste is only to create a solid thermal connection between the cpu and the cool block. It also depends on the type of paste, but i had very good results doing it that way.
Manufacturers of GFX cards always apply a big drop of paste in the middle and press the cooler on it. Just removing and reinstalling a stock cooler with better paste can already bring down the temp by 5-10 degrees, lol ;)

The most simple way is to do it like the manufacturers and apply a drop in the middle and press the cooler on it. But with a little care and attention you can get better thermal results with the same cooler.
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Lolz, it really is a jungle of he said she said about the best and easiest way to apply thermal paste's :lol:

But the times i have used the credit card method, i have always ended up getting that pasty crab on my fingers ... the crab just doesn't go off !! :lol:

Much clear and easier to used the dot or X method, not to say faster :mrgreen:
grimx133
Rookie
Rookie

I often use a sandwich bag, turn it inside out, so the surface is the clean one. Stick my hand inside and use a finger to spread the paste into a thin layer. Have to admit that I use the dot method as well, but mostly the bag.
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Watch this one, and pick the one you like best of them

[BBvideo 640,360][/BBvideo]
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Using a plastic spreader and the X method look like the two best ones to me. :mrgreen:
Image Image
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

I usually take my time to do it correct. It is one of those little things during a build that can make a huge difference in cooling performance. Never had the dirty hands issue. Just make sure to have enough paper towels nearbye. The trick is to apply as little thermal paste as you can. But some paste spreads a lot better or is more easy to manage than others. Applying little droplets is another often used metod.

But whatever method you use, make sure there is solid contact between the CPU and the Cooler. :geek:

PS With the mounting of the Corsair water cool block i used the factory applied paste. It was very well done in a square and with a very thin layer of quality paste. No need to re-do that one. The factory applied paste evolves also. It makes an influence on their cooling performance, so it is in their best interest to pay some attention to that as well.

:character-blues:

Return to “PC”