How do I apply thermal paste on a CPU

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
cyp2x4
Learner Driver
Learner Driver

i myself use different methods with paste but it all depends on the paste really... if you want thin coat then use zalman ZM - STG1 comes in a bottle with a little brush ive been using it for years its great if you apply it and use a fan cooler but few times ive used it on water blocks and well it didnt give me good results i also use the arctic MX-4 paste its great works wonders on GPU cards and water blocks ^_^ last paste i used was from cooler master quite nice heat transfer ivy bridge cpu doing 4100 on prime95 hitting 65c at max with water cooling it could get lower but meh :dance:
Alvin
Rookie
Rookie

less is more imo.
Joocyfroot
New Starter
New Starter

Not sure if OP has already sorted out his issue, but in case you have't I'll share a couple resources that are pretty helpful.

The application can depend on the CPU and what thermal interface material you are using.

If you happen to be using Arctic products, they have instructions:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think that for most TIM's you can use these instructions as well aside from brush ons.

A good video showing the various application techniques:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note that even though some methods appear to cover more of the chip in this video, that does not necessarily mean they are universally better. Some CPU's dissipate most of their heat from the center of the chip, so again best to consult the TIM manufacturer or use the Arctic instructions as a reference.

Also note that some of the methods shown in that video are probably not good to be used on any cpu, they are just showing the various ways that people were actually applying it at the time the video was made.

Return to “PC”