AMD Radeon 300 Series

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

True, the R9 290(x) have a 512-bit bus, even my old HD 7950 had a 384-bit bus, but the technology behind the GTX 900 series something else, the 980 256-bit bus is probably as good as a 1024-bit bus in AMD. But it all depend on the technology behind the bus, but HBM memory is know for lots as bits a few time more than GDDR5 has now, so in theory AMD have to have ultrawide pci-e bit bus to take advantage of the HBM chips :geek:

But if the leaked benchmark up the top is true, then Nvidia is F***ked, that'll be good for them for a change :lol:
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

PCI-e bus lets the GFX communicate with the Chipset, the memory bus lets the GPU communicate with the memory on the GFX card.
It is simply amazing that a 512bit bus would become the bottleneck with HBM. It is very expensive to make the 4096bit memory bus.
So i expect a slightly higher price level for the top cards from the 390 range.

It might be more complicated to get everything stable. One of the reasons for the delayed release. But it might be a winner. Especially the top card.
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

New pic shows the R390X will be watercooled..

Looks like this summers horse race will be between the GTX980Ti and the Radeon 390X :party:

On the other hand, a rumored whopping 850$ list price will disrupt that same race. First leaked benches showed that the "Fiji" can give the Titan X a run for the money in some benches. But if AMD catches the Nvidia greedfever too, it will get ugly soon®

http://fudzilla.com/news/graphics/37790 ... tail-price
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Prepsi
Mechanic
Mechanic

http://www.game-debate.com/news/?news=1 ... 20Rebrands
A new driver update has all but confirmed that all of the 300 series save for the 390's are actually rebranded 200 series.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

There can be only 1 HBM 4 gig module supported right now.
I already thought something was holding them back. Might be some production issues with the new memory technology.
This also means there will be cards in the future that will support more than one of those fancy new HBM modules.
They have no choice than to release it now, as Nvidia has lead all sales charts since before Christmas. If ATI/AMD does not strike back now, they will lose even more ground. And they can come up with another card after the summer, supporting more HBM modules, that will blast a Titan X back to High School.

I still think the new Fiji might be a good contender to the 980Ti from Nvidia.

But again the rebranding, basically selling an older card with a new outfit :roll:
And some of the 200 series were already rebranded 7000 series cards. How many facelifts and botox can these hold?
It is still possible that the chips are fabricated at a smaller form factor with some optimizations. Leading to lower power needs and higher clocks.

Maybe we were misguided by thinking ATI/AMD was back on track with the new 300 series. But they do have a fast new contender. Lets wait and see for the benchmarks first. And, more important, the price settings. 850$ for a 4gig card won't hold...

:party:

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Heh yea the tech world have been knowing about the rebranding of the 200 series into the 300 series for months now.

Mad HBM is not just one chip, as each gen.1 HBM modules 'only' has 1GB and bus a of 1024-bit, And the R9 390(x) will have 4 of these chips on it maing it a 4096-bit bus card ;)

And i think it is the manufacture cost of making cards with a bus of 4096-bit is what is slowing that the production line, but i think the 400 series will be coming soon after, and that will be the one to look out for 8-)

Plus lets not forget this tech is brand new, and one a few SSD makers have used this kind of stacked memory blocks, but it remains to be seen if HBM vs. production difficulty and cost will be worth it. :P

But i'm really excited to so how much these new flag ship GPU's will rock :mrgreen:
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

How vague can you make a teaser? AMD shows

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Bad news for the AMD fanboys. Not only is the complete 300 series a rebrand, except the new HBM model, but the new flagship is also not as fast in benches as NVidia's 980Ti.
They seem to have boosted the clock speeds to over 1000, resulting in a TDP of up to 300W, significantly more than the 250W of the TitanX and 980Ti.
No Titan Killer from ATI/AMD. :(

The new cards are shown in a back room behind closed doors. Not a sign of confidence.
The Fiji based card will be called Radeon Fury.

We need real world benches to make our own conclusion. But the signs are bad. Maybe they can do something with the price settings. Ngreedia came with a surprising 650$ after a rumored 699-749$ retail launch price.

If the new AMD performs between the 980 and 980Ti from Nvidia, as is expected, they can do an aggressive 500$ for example. A lot less than the previous mentioned 850$. And probably not the case with a reference board that includes a separate radiator and pre-mounted waterblock. :o

With other words... AMD :angry-banghead: ..... NVidia :teasing-nutkick:

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

The new Radeon Cards will be launched at the E3. Before that all benchmarks and rumors are just speculations.
The 390X will be a rebranded 290X with higher clocks and 8 gig of DDR5. A little confusing as the new top model with HBM will have only 4 gig of RAM.
Still plenty to play most games in full detail with all effects on.

The new chip has been shown to the press behind closed doors, lol.

There are now benchmarks circulating over the web, that either show better scores than a GTX TitanX, or just above the GTX980. Last is possible more near the truth.
This makes a list price of around 600$ more plausible.

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

I think i'll wait until i see some solid benchmarks before i'll buy into all of these rumors, as it has been nothing but rumors about the R9 390(x) series or "Fury" whatever they called it today. But i hype is true, and the rebrand is just a rumor.

But if Radeon drops out of the graphic card industry then it would mean Nvidia could raise the prices, like Intel is during now.

Besides if Radeon didn't believe in their card, then why the hell would then call it the "Fury", so i do strongly believe it is just rumors :P

Return to “PC”