Keep or refund the Nvidia GTX 970? (Keeping it)

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.

which would you choose if you where in my shoes?

Keep the GTX 970 bastard GPU
80%
Refund and wait for the next big thing
20%
Buy a Radeon R9 290x for the refund
No votes

Total votes: 5
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

I'm not quite sure what to do here, a have a few options, but know of them is ideal at this moment, here goes:
  • Keep the GTX 970, and live with its shortcoming and always think of it as a bastard GPU!?
  • Refund the GTX 970 and wait for the next big thing to come along (Radeon R9 390 series or one of the GTX 970 Ti with 8 GB vram? (i would be gaming on my old Radeon HD 6870 in the meantime, and mount my watercooler kit on it and OC the hell out of it)
  • Buy a Radeon R9 290x for the refund with 4 gb vram !!!
One thing is for sure, i have no thrust in Nvidia now, i thought they would be kickass to buy a card from, but as it turns out it was a very bittersweet affair!
Last edited by Beardroid91 on Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

By the sound of it if you keep the card you will always regret it and never be happy with it so if I was you I would go for the second choice.
The only problem with this is you say you can never trust Nvidia again so that would take them out of the second choice. :?
Image Image
Prepsi
Mechanic
Mechanic

Keep it and refund when they come out with a fixed 970.
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Bezrider wrote:By the sound of it if you keep the card you will always regret it and never be happy with it so if I was you I would go for the second choice.
The only problem with this is you say you can never trust Nvidia again so that would take them out of the second choice. :?
Yeah that's what i'm leaning most towards, as i think i should be happy about a 400 euro investment, and it should be able to last a long time, Nvidia GTX 970 can't do either and i see it value drop in the near future.

And yes i would never thrust Nvidia 100% go buy a product without doing my homework, and to be honest can't see nvidia pulling this crap again or it will be the end of them, most of their forum is still in a up-raw.

But i could maybe buy Nvidia again, but by the rumors of Radeon's "Captain Jack aka. 390x" is true, then it looks like i could avoid Nvidia altogether 8-)
___

@Prepsi
Yes i could, but when will the retailers shut the doors on returns/refundings, as the money is coming out of their pockets, as Nvidia is doing nothing about it.

Best bet is to get rid of it in a hurry now, but i could always buy another GTX 970 again a lower price point and earn cash back ;)
Prepsi
Mechanic
Mechanic

Bear304 wrote:
Bezrider wrote:By the sound of it if you keep the card you will always regret it and never be happy with it so if I was you I would go for the second choice.
Yeah that's what i'm leaning most towards, as i think i should be happy about a 400 euro investment, and it should be able to last a long time, Nvidia GTX 970 can't do either and i see it value drop in the near future.

And yes i would never thrust Nvidia 100% go buy a product without doing my homework, and to be honest can't see nvidia pulling this crap again or it will be the end of them, most of their forum is still in a up-raw.

But i could maybe buy Nvidia again, but by the rumors of Radeon's "Captain Jack aka. 390x" is true, then it looks like i could avoid Nvidia altogether 8-)
___

@Prepsi
Yes i could, but when will the retailers shut the doors on returns/refundings, as the money is coming out of their pockets, as Nvidia is doing nothing about it.

Best bet is to get rid of it in a hurry now, but i could always buy another GTX 970 again a lower price point and earn cash back ;)
Doesn't Europe have that law that basically says "if your product is defective you have a right to return it no matter what"?
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

lol you love that quoting :lol:
__

Yes we do, this is it says on my receipt; "There is a 2 year warranty against manufacturing defects on the hardware from the day of purchase".

And the missing ROPs and L2 cache and the falsely presented vram bug all fall under this criteria
  • 56 ROPs vs. claimed 64 ROPs
  • 1,75 mb L2 cache vs. claimed 2 mb L2 cache
  • 3,5 fast + 0,5 slow GB vram vs. claimed 4 gb at 224 gb/s

Those are significant hardware changes, i would not have upgraded from my Radeon HD 7950 if i had know all of the facts from the start, so f**k you Nvidia now i miss my old card :lol:
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

This all depends on what your personal experience is with the card. If there are indeed performance issues, linked to the non working VRAM cluster, i would get a refund pronto and wait for either a better version or go back to the red team as you probably want.

They need to understand that you can not fool customers as a company and the trust can not be taken for granted.

Off course you can also ask yourself why they can sell a card like that for just 350€, when the 980 is still around 600€.
The 970 was praised by everybody as the best bang for the buck, including myself. Maybe that deal was too good to be true.

Nvidia have dented their image with this fiasco and will need to step up their game to regain the consumers trust and respect.
My personal experience with their products is good. With a few exceptions, like a fried GTX280. Other cards have run for years without a hassle.
And i still think their drivers and game support are superior over ATI.

But you would not have started this thread if you were satisfied... :lol:

PS I would ask for a refund and go for a 980 :mrgreen:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

The GTX 980 is good, way to over priced, not good enough to justify its mental price difference

plus lots of gaming / tech sites have rumors about news cards coming soon'ish

But one thing is for sure the GTX 970 is going back, while their still taking them back!

And sure i could live with the GTX 970 (4) version, but i would go like this wasn't what i paid for, and be pissed about until i unload it 1-2 years down the road
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Just did some research and there are Radeon290 cards for around 300€

Maybe grab one like that and upgrade once the 300 series hits the shelves. :party:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Yes, but R9 290(x) makes a lot of heat, need the Saphire Vapor-X tri-X 3 pcie slot cooler to cool that sucker down, but the R290X is a stronger card than the GTX970, but if the GTX970 be made in a 8 GB version, which there is talk of

But right now, GTX 970 is going back, if they offer me a suttabel compensation on the card i might keep it and back some cash

But i guess we'll just have to see about that ;)

Return to “PC”