Nvidia Pascal

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

If you think the Titan X is fast with 12 gig Vram, think again.

The upcoming Pascal architecture will blow Maxwell away. :eeek:

http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2015/03/17/pascal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

It sure looks impressive, but i bet the price will be too if they are better than the new Titan X

I guess we'll have to see how much it is better than AMD's 390x or 490x when it comes :mrgreen:
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

More info about the new Pascal architecture is slowly leaking from NVidia

The first couple of GP100 Pascal GPU have been succesfully fabricated (tape-out) for testing and evaluation purposes.

Up to 32Gig of HBM, up to 80% faster than a GM200 TitanX or Quadro M6000, just a few numbers. The card will mainly be for professional applications first.
It will be launched together with a new bus. The PCIe3 x16 will be replaced by NVidias own NV link. That will allow to pass 5-12x the amount of data. Especially usefull for multi card setups.

The consumer version will probably be a bit more simple. Maybe less ram and a conventional PCI Express most likely. The current video cards can not even use the complete bandwidth of that bus. Probably half.

Chip will most likely be fabricated at TSMC 16nm technology.

Almost insane to think that the just introduced Maxwell generation will become almost obsolete so soon®
Or it must be rebranded, like ATI/AMD is doing now. Bad habits seem to rub off.

The rebranding will in this case mean a smaller production procedure and higher clocks because of that.

The Pascal consumer cards will without any doubt be the fastest new graphics cards in the world.
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

NVidia's Pascal for cunsumers will be a very interesting card. It will feature HBM2, that will be twice as fast as the HBM used by AMD Fury. The Pascal (GTX1080) is rumored to be 10x as fast as the Titan X. But i believe that will only be the memory ;)

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/46544/nvi ... index.html

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

The amount of transistors on the Pascal GPU's will be doubled again, compared to Maxwell.
17 billion, compared to the Titan X 8 billion. Just insane. That will most likely double the performance as well.
This has become partially possible, because they will be produced on the 16nm FinFet TSMC procedure.

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

That gpu will be one scary monster, as the the Titan X blow everyones minds :twisted:

I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do with it, but as of now Radeon has got dibs on the HBM2 chips
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

AMD has a privileged position, because AMD was co-developer of the HBM technology. But that does not imply Nvidia will not get them. In fact the production of these modules will benefit more companies than just AMD and Nvidia. So i do not see any problems there. AMD already had the privilege of releasing the first card with HBM.

As far as i can judge, the Pascal will rock. It will perform like 2 Titan X in SLI and probably better than that. In addition it will be smaller and more power saving. Can't get any better than that. But i'm also under the impression we will be able to say this every 2 years from now. That is how fast developments go.
With new chips every year, they make older batches obsolete quickly. This makes it harder for third parties to develop products based on those chips, as everybody will want the new ones. Having great stock can be deadly.
Just like some said my gtx780TI's are old. They are not. Just one year ago they were the fastest cards money could buy. And this also explains why the insane development speed can be contra productive. Normally you would be able to sell a GFX product for 2 to 3 years. But with these speeds you can be happy with a 1.5-2 years life cycle. Too short to fully milk the products. And that also explains why the price of the top tier cards have gone up from 350 to 700$ and more. To cover the development costs and stay ahead of the competition. And AMD can hardly keep up with Nvidia.
Clever consumers will wait until a couple of months after the release for the first significant price drops. Only those that really want the best and latest will be prepared to pay the full Monty. Resellers will be reluctant to buy big stocks.

And lets face it, you don't need a Titan X to run your games. Because all games are developed with the limitations of the consoles in mind and not every game will be fully optimized for the latest graphics monsters. Game developers that do optimize their games, are rewarded with excellent looking graphics that will make the consolers drool. But to play most games in full detail, you don't need the latest graphics cards anymore. So right now the graphics cards technology is out-pacing the game development once again.

Investing in R&D pays off. Nvidia has shown that clearly. But moving too fast ahead can ricochet and have a contra productive effect. They are a leading force in the development right now. Getting there is one, staying another.

What will future gamers decide? Cloud based gaming on super computers? Or still keeping a small supercomputer at home, just for games. You will only need a screen to play games with some of the new technologies. And not everybody is prepared to keep a power-hungry, noisy, room taking device. And for real high end gaming you won't need it anymore soon®. Disadvantages of Cloud based gaming are input lag and the indirect control of your content. As internet connections improve in quality and speed, those disadvantages will slowly disappear. The big advantage is that you will be able to play games in the highest possible quality and the highest possible settings, without the need for a 1000$ graphIcs card or 4000$ Game PC. The game will be streamed to your screen like a TV program or movie with 60fps in full HD or even 4K if network connections allow it. You can play high end games on your tablet and TV.

So my prediction is that the PC market will get smaller even more, making hardware even more expensive. Maybe it will become a niche market. But the purists will stay. Assembling and creating your own ultimate gaming device is part of the fun. And it also places yourself in control.

Nvidia plays both angles. The Shield technology is awesome. And combinations of Cloud technology and home based devices are also possible. The Crew already works like that. And many games will follow.

There will always be people who want to play with multiple screens, exotic formats or expensive devices. But the need for independent hardware will become less important soon®.

CK

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

That was a nice write up Mad, there is a lot of truth to it and I do belive your predictions are right, not ofcause I hope hardware will become cheaper, but as hardware becomes more and more small and complicated prices will no doubt rise.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Nvidia Pascal GPU's will get 'mixed precision' en 16 GB HBM2.

So no 32 gig. But that might be released in a later version for professional purposes.

Memory will operate at a stunning 1TB/s, triple the speed of the 980Ti.

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Exaggerated or not, that roadmap must look spooky for Intel and ATI

Return to “PC”