Nvidia Pascal

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

I contacted Amazon, to see if i could get a free game for my GTX1070. After all Nvidia advertizes with it. But they also mention restricted resellers.

I got a response and a code for Gears of War 4. Not the WatchDogs 2 i was hoping for. That is the game they bundle now :lol:

But it does pay off to just ask things sometimes. :party:

PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

The GTX1080Ti is coming soon® and GTX980Ti owners will be prefered customers to upgrade their cards.
I guess Fulysic will like to hear that :party:

:2thumbsup:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

I have a weird issue with the GTX1070 right now. It wont clock over 900Mhz. Noticable frame stutters made me monitor the performance. I have read reports from others who had this too.

I already tried to run different drivers. But it might be W10 related.
Maybe an even older driver will do. But so far i do not see any solutions.
Card gets to 44 degrees under load and fan is barely moving. Custom fan profile and boosting 100mhz brings 1000Mhz, so the OC works, but the base clock is somehow nerfed. Weird thing and no time to solve this today. :?

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

That's very strange, hopefully it is just a buggy driver and not a hardware fault.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

It seems that Pascal does not like 1080p very much. And Micron Chips have issues.

I have activated DSR, boosted max power to 112% and underclocked (!) the memory 50Mhz. Now the GPU clock in game is a steady 1910Mhz without OC.

Most GFX manufacturers have released an updated BIOS to make the Micron Chips work better. Faster power delivery to these mem chips is needed to make them stable at high speeds.

Right now i have underclocked the memory a little bit. The power is now used to OC the GFX. The memory power draw is reduced and now the card runs stable.

Micron delivers memory chips to card manufacturers that barely meet the minimum specs at normal voltages.

As long as there is no BIOS update from Zotac, i will leave my card running like this. :occasion-snowman:

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Lolz that is just silly, these Pascal chips are so damn lazy.

Nvidia made them way to power efficient as they just cut power once they find a second of lesser load, i saw/see it on my 1070 FTW('s) both Samsung and Micron memory chips, both felt the same, so not much of a difference, but then again EVGA send the new 1070 FTW to me with an updated BIOS on the new Micron card and i push more memory overclock on the micron chips than i did on the Samsung.

But i never tried running anything on 1080p, as i got the 2560x1440p Dell screen which i overclocked to 65 Hz as i saw V-sync messed up a few times on the regular 59-60 Hz it is on default.

Only game that gives me any grif is The Crew, as it is so light to run on a 1070 then it some times run it with default clock speeds which results in some minor lag spites a few times.

But i think i'll never have your power delivery issues as my EVGA card have a overkill 2x 8pin and 8+2 phases of VRM's, but then again i was dealing with heat issues and now you got power delivery issues.

Pascal seemed great, but Nvidia had to mess it up. Hopefully AMD can knock in a few teeth's on Nvidia as Nvidia needs a wake up call badly, as they seem to think they can do what they want - even spy on they GameExperience users YUP they collect game data on your PC, but i honestly don't give a damn if they do it or not, only think they'll find is a few dirty links as everything else of importance is backed up in the cloud. :mrgreen:

BTW less power uses normally means lees heat so that should be a win for your compact case. :P
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

The Zotac has an extra VRM, compared to the Founders Edition. Remarkable on a small custom PCB like this.

The card never runs hotter than around 60 degrees now.

Micron DDR5 Vram Chips need a faster power build up than Samsung memory chips do. Once that is fixed with new BIOS settings, they will clock just as high.
Maybe they give 3rd party manufacturers a better deal than Samsung does. Or they can fulfill large orders better. There must be a reason why so many vendors pick these chips for their cards.

Anyway, for now the 900Mhz "bug" has been fixed. But it was due to software control and not the games.

I would rather have manual control over the max clockspeeds, instead of this GPU Boost 3, that is part of the Nvidia driver suite :idea:
Steady clockspeeds are better for gamers than constantly changing speeds up and down.

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Zotac will release a GTX1080 mini at the CES. Just awesome.

Smallest GTX1080 and it has twin fans. 8-)

If i had not just bought a GTX1070 mini, i would have grabbed it. :mrgreen:

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Smallest.. Nope have you not seen the laptop gtx 1080's ;)

But it s seems like a good package, but if the 1070 version of it is struggling to get enough power then the 1080 would be too.

But only an Nvidia fan boy would buy new GPU with AMD about to launch a new series of cards. :D
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

GTX1080 has better memory chips. Different type. Performance will be much better. But only interesting if you plan to get a 4K TV or something.

I'm under the impression that the Zotac GTX1070 Mini i have, does not go over 50 degrees somehow. Even if i raised max temps in Afterburner to 90. It downclocks to 1500 as soon® as it goes 51. :?

The power delivery is OK. It barely uses 40%. I only tried to reduce the mem clocks to see if more power went to the chip, which it did.
Power is also set to 110% in afterburner. Maybe i will have to use the Zotac tools instead, or the Nvidia driver is holding it back.

Something is holding it back and it is not the GFX card itself. :eeek:

PS I like Nvidia, despite their recent driver fails and hasty work sometimes. But i do not discriminate AMD. I have had their CPU's and GPU's before. Last one was a 6950, which performed well in TDU2. When they start to make the better GPU's i will look to camp red.
But for now Nvidia still has the edge and Pascal rocks :music-rockout:

Return to “PC”