PC Water Cooling

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Looks nice, maybe abit to busy but nice.

Btw the air will never settle as long you have the water jet / spash into the reservoir like that, you should get the Multi port top and get an internal tube for it as it dumps the water in under the water level, also do you really need the fill up tube? it just makes it look messy and it doesn't seem to work all that well. It would be easier and less messy to use the multi top, you have to use a 90* adapter for it, as the holes on the top of it is to small of the fittings you have to use the holes on the side of the multitop.

Like this one, it also has the internal tubes in it.

Also was that 1 liter of coolant and it not being full yet? You have to get some more of it then to top it off.

But i suggest the https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-res-x3-int ... 2-16-140mm you could also just cut some of it to fit better if it would be to long in your 204mm reservoir tube.

And then you have to get a fill up bottle like this one. https://www.ekwb.com/shop/filling-bottle-1000ml

Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Looking good Mad, nice to see this moving on. :D
Image Image
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

@ Bear;I have all parts you mention. But the triple top is bad qual. I will not get one again. I have exactly the one from the drawing.
The current fill tube will be hidden behind the res for the large part. Not too messy.

I will need to do some cable management. The real cosmetic stuff comes later (or not).
For now, i'm glad i got it to work like i want to.

Next challenge will be firmware updates and a fresh W10pro install.

Before that i will do some long runs to test the loop for small leaks. But so far it seems to run O. K. :ugeek:

I only used 1 bottle of coolant, probably 0.8L. Res is 3/4 filled when in rest. I have plenty of coolant for the exchange next year or the year after. Depending on how well the system behaves.
And i can make an internal tube myself, by using a fitting and a piece of tube... if that solves the water splashing in like it does now, it might be a good idea.

I had the triple top installed with a green led in it and tube underneah. But for some reason the fittings came loose way too easy, because they do not screw in deep enough. I had the pump/res placed directly underneath the radiator exit to make it look clean and avoid excessive tubing. The fill tube had to be done to make use of the other entrance for the pump/res combo.
The 204mm res looks awesome in my case. Anything smaller would not look as good. With the triple top it gets crampy. But it can be done with some patience, i do not have right now. The single top was my original idea and i like the looks of it.

:party:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

The loop is running the whole morning now. Bottom fans are Jet planes at full speed. :mrgreen:

I used a piece of tube and a clamp fitting inside the res underneath the lid. It prevents the coolant from foaming up. Loop looks more clear now, as seen on the pics.

The fill port is tucked away, nice and cozy, behind the reservoir in a corner.

Because of the way the loop is routed, with the fluid pumping up from the bottom, air is pushed out rapidly.
As i turn the pump off, the fluid level stays above the CPU. Reservoir fills to about 2cm below the top. So it is filled pretty well now. Draining and refilling will be relatively easy now.

I tried to wrap things up a bit at the front, but non sleeved cables and ASUS failing to put enough USB connectors on the motherboard cause some visible cable heap. I will try to cover that up later.

At the rear, some extensive cable work needed to be done. Before connecting the PSU to the motherboard. Bottom fans need to be free of possible loose cables as well. So far i used about 50 ! zip-ties in this build :lol:

If all goes well, i will try to boot the PC later this afternoon.
I will try to make it run with the EFI/BIOS from the factory. They do not have a double BIOS, but there is a CMOS function in case a BIOS flash goes wrong.

I will make custom fan profiles for the P/P fans in the bottom. With so much cooling capacity, you do not need to run them at full speed and a quiet operation is preferred.

:smoking:
SAM_0722.JPG
SAM_0723.JPG
SAM_0725.JPG
SAM_0728.JPG
SAM_0729.JPG
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

So many cables to sort out, that is a alot of work to make them look clean or to just be able to close the sidepanel.

Also you sure that tube in the reservoir is not a bit to long, but nice idea, i didn't know you could screw a fitting into it front the inside as well.

With all of this watercooling talk, i ended up daydreaming about taking a AIO pump CPU block and hooking a real cobber radiator up to one and using it inside of the Mugen 5 cooler, but lol i thought i was done with watercooling for now, but some part of me still wants to have a go at it. So maybe i'll have a look at the my buy / sell sites to see if anyone should have a newer AIO with a busted radiator where the pump still works fine, and then just a matter of finding a decent 240 radiator for it.

Not saying i would actually do it, but i want to some how.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

I used a wrap sleeve (black) to cover most of the visible non sleeved excessive cables at the front bottom of the build.

The rear is indeed kinda ridiculous. I think you can hook up 2 dozen fans or devices through the control panel. In pairs.
But with the zip ties holding them together, it will prevent anything hitting the bottom fans. Rear door is solid and it won't show. Only the front is a showcase.

I used a velcron wrap around the larger motherboard cables. But i'm not sure the door will close now. So maybe i will have to do some more individual zip-tie work :D

My camera is acting up again. Bugged firmware FTW :angry-banghead: :mrgreen:

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

So, i hit another bump on the road. The Computer does not boot up. :angry-banghead:

I did check all the connectors and 2 of them did come loose from the Modular PSU a bit during zipping up with ties. But after pressing them into place again the motherboard only shows some RGB lighting. Nothing starts, no fans, no harddrives.

This might be a case of the RAM modules not being compatible. Early BIOS only supports a small selection of RAM.
But i did not expect the motherboard to be completely dead.

Also i'm not 100% sure it is the RAM, as the lights on the case control unit, like on/off etc do not glow. The start button on the motherboard does light up, but nothing happens when i hit it.

Maybe this PC build is cursed by some weird voodoo.

At this moment i'm stuck. I do not want to buy some other ram modules just to find out it still does not boot.

But normally, things like fans, pump etc, should spin up. I already tried disconnecting the large motherboard plug and hotwire the PSU and the loop and fans spin up straightaway. The cable mod extension is also ok and tested.

Now i'm going to clear my head and go over it again this afternoon.

The waterloop works awesome now and the wiring have cleaned up nicely.
But it is not just a showcase, i actually need it for work and games. :(

Most builds are easy fixed. This one might have some hidden issues. Partially because of the early version of the motherboard, i guess.

Maybe i can nick some ram modules from this HTPC, but they are most likely hidden under the massive coolblock.

Getting Crucial Memory modules was not a bad choice, as they outperform a lot of other brands at the same speeds. But if they are totally not compatible with this motherboard and BIOS, it can be an issue.

I need at least a screen to be able to see what i'm doing. Flashing the BIOS has to be done.

It feels like a chicken and egg paradox.

Now i'm stuck with a 5.000$ worth piece of tubed up non working junk :angry-banghead:

Maybe i just need an axe.... (Dovahkin Dragon Battle music starts playing....) :mrgreen:

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Lol, i thought you said you test booted the system when you got all the parts 7-10 months ago?

But have tried flashing the motherboard's bios? can that not be done with the main system running?

Also which model and brand of ram if it.

Maybe try and re mount the ram sticks maybe they, or the CPU isn't mounted correctly.

But you might as well test with the HTPC's ram sticks to test if it is the ram, when you actually have the chance to test it like that. :idea:
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

I know i should have done a "dry" test with this system first. :whistle:

So far everything seemed to work OK. But the case control unit not getting juice is weird. The USB3 connector is properly plugged in.

I already know i can not get near the DIMM in my HTPC. That is a seriously cramped build.

The motherboard own RGB works and the LED lights up as well. It just does not want to boot up.
I think i had a similar situation a long time ago, with a GFX that needed more amps than the PSU could deliver. But i have a Corsair 1200i, with separate 12V rails. Plenty of juice from that.

I do not know if you can blind flash the BIOS. It might solve all problems at once.
Some research might shed some light on that.

Edit; i found threads about the flashback option ASUS Mobos have. Already downloaded the BRenamer tool. I might give that a shot later today.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.p ... shback-fix

Ergo; never buy a first gen new Motherboard with alpha state BIOS....
I did expect some issues from the early BIOS :geek:

PS; If nothing works, i will ditch AMD and go straight for Intel :loll:

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Just send me the parts i accept charity :loll:

Well yea, is all the power cables plugged in right? maybe there is a shortcircuited some where, or maybe the PSU is dead some how.

Is it the right cables powering the PSU? It is a modular PSU afterall so is all the PSU cables push all the way in?

Also i think Intel's 8700K is far better than the Ryzen 1900X as the Ryzen lags in some games due to poor multi CPU core implimentation, where as the 8700K has fewer but better cores which work better.

Return to “PC”