PC Water Cooling

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

That will most likely clutter your loop. Milk has some sugars in it. Also fat. With all the tiny little channels in the waterblocks this is not a good idea.

Just like those dudes who used Nutella as paste to mount a CPU. Works for a while, but then..... :eeek:

Edit: that was fun to watch. Just imagine the amount of cleaning in between, lol.
Always use a passenger to do the turbo and pop-off valve sounds for you :?

Milk would turn into cheese soon® :D

Better test would be to do actual coolant fluids. :idea:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Just when you think the watercooling system is running perfectly then you spot something that is off, just did a watercooling loop check, and there is junk in the GPU block, something is starting to build up in the cooling fins which will lower the blocks performance over time, it is not serious yet, but definitely something to watch.

This how the build up looks now and how the block used to look when i got it:
2016-01-25 21.46.10.jpg
2016-01-25 21.46.26.jpg
2015-07-04 12.58.26.jpg
Now i'm doubting whether or not to keep running a watercooled pc, as watercooling comes with a major headache of things that can/might go wrong, and i'm scared shitless of the possibility of a leak, so i'm tempted to end my project and go back to a AIO CPU cooler as they come with a warranty and my water loop .. well not so much, plus i think this waterloop is way to expensive to be causing me this my grif, but i don't know what to do. :think:
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

You need to drain your loop and flush the waterblocks. Maybe the GPU block needs to be dissasembled, cleaned with alcohol and reassembled. A delicate task. Especially replacing that O-ring.
I think Jayz2Cents made a video how to do that.

Just as important is finding the cause of these particles. Flush all radiators with distilled water as well. Make sure there is no residue left behind in them.

And take the simple solution of distilled or demineralized water with glycol additive and nothing more. Cheaper and still the best coolant there is.

Your loop is just fine. It is an awesome build. It just needs some maintenance from time to time.
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Yeah you right about that, but i dread having to take the GPU block apart, but i have a filter fitting i have use for it and just flush it with destilled water, which might do the trick or hot water with a light vinegar mix to clean the block.

And yes i might have to take it apart, but it isn't something that can't wait for a time with it gets warm enough to work outside in the garage on it ;)

But i have been wanting to change the loop config for a while, the current loop is (Pump / GPU / CPU / 240 rad / 360 rad / Res.) i want to try this config instead (Pump / 360 rad / GPU / 240 rad / CPU / Res.) that might lower my temps 3-7*C, but that is just hopeful at this point but the other config will be more efficient.

So i might do a upgrade in 1-2 months as it isn't an immediate problem.
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Mad what do you think of this loop layout, i have optimized it for maximum cooling potential, do you think i get more out of it / do you have other idea's for loop changes i should try to implement into my loop layout?

This is the layout i have thought about week after i got the current loop layout put together, and i have been wanting to change it ever since, but it have been winter so no ideal for this kind project i to outside in the garage where there is room for it.
Define S water loop idea V2.jpg
edit:
I also have all the small upgrades to the pump vibration noise issues, as the transfers the noise to the case, but i have the rubber mounts to fix this, but can't change it without having to take the system apart. Also my drain system is untested so might have to rework that for the new loop.
Last edited by Beardroid91 on Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

This is why I stick with a sealed system, it may not look as good or give as good a temp drop as a system as yours but on the up side it is way less hassle. :mrgreen:
At the end of the day all I want is a PC cool enough to play games at high specs my system does this and I don't have to worry about cleaning it out or it leaking. (that's not to say these systems don't leak just that it is unlikely) :P

Good luck with getting it back to normal but give me a sealed loop any day. :D
Image Image
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

AIO coolers are the better choice, i just wanted a side project, but it turns out it is a endless bother to keep these systems running perfectly, and they are not easy to reconfigure once the coolant is in the system, but i have had it with these premixed coolants, on the next big change i'll have to clean it all out and change to a simple yet tested coolant mix of distilled water and glycol, as the other premixed coolants i have used so far have failed and is breaking down and little by little is block the blocks.

So yeah going back a AIO cooler is a tempting thought, but i'll try this watercooling one more time before i'll consider it again.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

AIO have the same issues internally. Thats why they usually are for 4y only. But they stuff them with glycol so it does not corrode quickly, lol. :lol:

Custom loops are better if you take care and use the good parts. But it becomes expensive quickly.

The projected loop is res/pump/big rad/GPU/top rad/cpu/res. That is about the max performance you can get out of your components. :woot:

My H110i AIO is still performing well. But i will change it to a full loop when i build my next rig.

If you play for hours, any air cooled system will run hot. Always hotter than a custom loop. For long run stability and lifestpan of your components it is better to have electrical parts not run hotter than 60 degrees. No matter what manufacturers say.

A custom loop is always best. Expensive as well. But they look cool too. :mrgreen:

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

7 gamers, playing on Freesync 34" monitors from 1 system. Fully custom watercooled.
I'm not easily impressed, but this is impressive from Linus. :ugeek:

Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

This is going to be my next build. :mrgreen:
Now all I need is for you guys to send me all of your money to pay for it. :loll:
Image Image

Return to “PC”