PC Water Cooling

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Beardroid91 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:51 pm So why pay 31 euros for a useless backplate... :lol:
Mine was a whopping 40€, as it is made of nickelplated copper :oops:

And maybe the EVGA backplate fits, the stock Nvidia Titan back plate was rubbish. Just for looks.
EK backplates make the contruction very solid, look cool and actually work as a passive heat spreader on the back.

I only mounted the top radiator today.
Tomorrow will be more test fitting and finalize my plans. I will also fit the bottom radiator.

:party:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

I think about using velcron to use under the waterpump mounts. It will make it easy to detach if needed and also acts like a noice insulator.

The other option would be to drill holes in the raised floorboard to mount. :party:

Today i'm just test fitting options for the pump and reservoir combo.

But first i have to assemble the pump and exchange the reservoir for the larger tube from EKWB :mrgreen:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Cool, but where / how are you going to be mounting the pump combo ?

I doubt the velcro tape can hold it in place once it is full of coolant, as it is about 1-1,2 kg when it is full.

Also the reservoir gets abit top heavy when it is full when it is just the bottom pump mounts it is mounted with, but if you drill holes in the case then it will probably be fine, but for my Define S the mounting rails couldn't handling the added weight so i had to make a top mount for the reservoir.

But then again i carry my pc around so the reservoir needs to be kept in place.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

I use a mounting bracket from EK, that can also be attached to a 12cm fan mount. The velcron will be attached underneath, so the whole combo rests on the velcron. I can always add support for the reservoir if needed.

As the reservoir needs to be moved sometimes, it can be a handy option to use velcron tape.

https://www.bax-shop.nl/pedalboard-acce ... band-strip?

I already ordered it. If it is not strong enough to hold the res into place, i can always dril holes to support it.

PS This is a great shop, if you are into music stuff. :musicheadphones:

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

It is maybe good enough for a test fit, but long term a solid mount with screws is better, but do your thing with this one. ;)

Just don't shake the pc around :lol:
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Considering it will be heavy with the larger res, it might need bolting down, so i will drill anyway.
But adding the velcron underneath might be smart as it both increases the fixation and also dampens sounds and vibrations.

Just finished mounting the bigger res and the pump to the unimount. :party:
SAM_0648.JPG
SAM_0650.JPG
PS Only thing i do not like about it, are the non sleeved wires from the pump. For the rest this is just awesome stuff.

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

You could wait to the last moment to drill the holes, so it is not in the way of something else. but what do i know i have not seen it in the case yet.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

I'm glad i did not order a bigger tube for the res. I have just 5 cm of space to work with above. :lol:
That will be a tight fit, especially as i also need to fill it there :shock:

One more reason why i want to be able to lift the res/pump out front. For easy fill and maintenance. So i might just bolt the front. The big radiator underneath will prevent me from access to rear bolts. The sequence of mounting will be important. But i have to take future maintenance in consideration as well.
The drain will be in the bottom, directly after the pump, before entering the lower radiator.

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Some test fit pictures would be nice, as you have not shown the upper car fitment yet.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Some mock up picks. It was already very hard to get the P/P rad in the bottom, as even the wires could not fit under the radiator. I will mount it like it is now, pulling air from rear to front. The reason for that is that my racing rig is next to my PC and otherwise it would blow hot air to an already overheated driver :mrgreen:

Also the openings in the plexiglass door are right there, providing the exit for the hot air. The door in the rear has vents, but they will most likely block a part of the hot air and that would accumulate behind the motherboard. Therefore the direction from back to front is the better solution.

These mock up pics only show the basic waterloop configuration. I still have to mount all the PC hardware. But if any drilling has to be done, now is the time to do that.
I have to mount the bottom radiator first, as it will be almost impossible to lift once the case is standing up.

When i created this idea for "project overchill", i was not aware of the tight fits. Even for a big tower, like the Cosmos II is, watercooling uses all the space there is. The good part about that, is that it will look nicely filled when ready. Normally you can house 2 refugees in there. :lol:
SAM_0651.JPG
SAM_0653.JPG
SAM_0660.JPG
:party:

Return to “PC”