PC Water Cooling

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

If you do not want the hassle to remove the lids and place back the 0-rings, flushing with destilled water is best. I have done radiators with tapwater and destilled water afterwards, but for blocks never use tapwater. There is all kinds of stuff in there you dont want in your loop.

Best is to create a tempory small loop for your blocks with only the pump/res and the block you need to flush. If those particles do not dissappear, you still need to remove the lids. Can be frustrating to place the sealing rings back. But it is the best way to thoroughly clean the insides near these tiny channels. Reversing the loop a few times while flushing is also a good option to try first.
Just grab some demineralized or destilled water from your local Pump station.
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Okay i did a mini loop for my blocks and D5 pump when i got it so i can just do that again - but did understand how to override the D5's PWM to make it run at 100% learned that after i had done the mini loop, i also have a small water filter from i used the last time.

Also need some thin walled tubing for the mini loop as the 16/10 tubing is to stiff so need 13/10.

I'll pick up some demineralized battery water that the local autopart store, and then i'll use Alphacool's ultra destilled water for the final loop need about 1,2 L, i just have to figure out what to put in the water mix.
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Hmm Mad what do you think of this thought, do you think it is a valid concern?

I have been thinking that the 240 radiator i have in a exhausting position might actually compromise my cooling performance, as it has to use heated air that has past through the 360 radiator to cool the water with, which in theory makes it inefficient.

What is your take on that? Personally i'm thinking of ditching the 240 radiator in favor of the 2x 140mm fans that came with the case, i would either keep or replace the 360 radiator with a Alphacool ST30 360 or keep the EK XE 360 in front and have the 2 140mm fans exhaust the hot air out of the case.

I'm not sure which option would be the best to pursue, i can shift the radiators easily enough, but i wanted a second opinion on it.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

It is true that some of the heat is blown inside from the front. But for the overall performance of your loop it won't make a big difference.

The two fans on top are also exit fans, but a part is also disappated through the rear fan. You can measure the temps inside your case.
Most important is to get the water temp to around 35C or so. That won't be an issue with 2 large rads like that.

IMO you should stick to your plan for the improved loop. 8-)
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

MadManCK wrote:IMO you should stick to your plan for the improved loop. 8-)
True i could do that, but why not do it right the way i want to ;)

This is the new concept i have been thinking of for months, it would be not be to expensive to make this change. The most expensive would be the pump top for D5, and another multitop for the reservoir tube, and then the tubing and few other fittings needed.

Have a separate pump would mean alot less vibration and noise and i can silence it better.

For this change i would need to buy a new 360 30mm radiator and sell the 360 and 240 rads i have now.

I'll also make a PSU shroud as the Define S have a terrible dead space inside it, and it doesn't look nice, i might also make the window bigger but that is a maybe.

Mad are you still critical about this loop change or have i won you over?
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

So, you want to exchange a 360/60 and 240/30 for a single 360/30?
Make sure you get a top of the line 360/30 than.

It should give enough cooling capacity for a 4790K and a GTX970.
Make the look more clean and the case less cluttered.

You will remove all inefficiencies, like warm air blowing into the case and against the reservoir and Mobo.

It will be a lot more easy to create an efficient airflow through the case. Maybe make it more silent as well.

But you will lose significant heat dissipation surface. However it should be enough for your system to operate at increased performance, like it is now.

You can also mount the res/pump combo on the floor. With some isolation mounts.

I don't think a window extention will improve the looks. Now the view is focused on the loop and the cool hardware. 8-)

PS Isn't it possible to mount the top exit fans underneath the 360 rad? It would be more silent and push the air upwards is slightly better than pull. No big difference though.

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Hmm yes all true, i do believe this change will improve it overall.

Do you have a radiator in mind?
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

I would personally always get Alphacool because of their build quality. But according to this test there are better options.

http://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/02/11/ra ... ound-2015/

Magicool G2 Slim and the Hardware Labs Nemesis GTS
http://www.hardwarelabs.com/nemesis/

The Alphacool 360/30 performs good at low fan speeds. But lacks the performance boost at higher RPM, compared to others in that test. It does have less restriction than most rads though.

But it would be a good idea to look if you can fit a 45mm. As cooling performance increases a lot there. :occasion-snowman:

PS The X-flow variation could clean up your tubing layout. Might be an option to consider.

http://www.hardwarelabs.com/nemesis/ind ... Itemid=129

http://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/09/19/hw ... or-review/

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Yeah i was looking at getting the HW Labs Nemesis GTS 360 as the radiator for my system, it would be perfect for the task.

http://www.highflow.nl/radiatoren/3-x-1 ... html?sl=EN

Also the X-flow version would have been cool, but it is simply not worth losing so much cooling performance, as the regular GTS 360 smokes it.

And btw. the Nemesis does out perform the Alphacool XT45 360 so it is not worth much going up in radiator thickness imo. + with a 30mm radiator i can have the fans and the radiator inside the case.

Now it is just a matter of push or pull config, LinusTechTips did a 240 radiator were they tested different fan positions and push vs. pull did not matter, and from lessons learned i think pull config will be the best option as it is easier to clean.
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

I have redone the waterloop in a similar config, but abit cheaper to make, and i think it would end up working better and it is very similar to my current config.

Also started on a concept for the PSU shroud, it needs to be able to stay in place while also being easy to remove, so maybe velcro or magnets to make it stay put.

Return to “PC”