AMD Polaris

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

The 4 gig version will only cost around 220€ over here. 270€ for the 8gig version is an absolute steal.

GTX970 performance, DX12, and only 150W TDP.

Someone will sweat green :mrgreen:

AMD/ATI will conquer the midrange field like this. Over 85% of the GFX market is at around 250$.
And 3rd party boards will be cooler, quieter and better OC.

And their new drivers have built in OC control. No 3rd party software needed. So now they start to beat Nvidia at one of their strong points; the drivers and control software.

Excellent job. :2thumbsup:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Indeed it is a kickass card that does exactly what it was created to do, Radeon will sell tons of them, as they are priced perfectly for the midrange gamers.

And yes Nvidia is under the gun now, as their drivers are shit and their software also is shit, so Ngreedia will have update or change some things very soon.

If Vega "Greenland" continues this trend then i'm leaving team Green for team Red as Nvidia have let me down to many times now and i don't feel like supporting those cheats anymore than i have to.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

The RX480 has some issues as well. It draws more power from the PCI-E slot than it should. 20% too much on average. And with power draw peaks of 150W. That is twice the 75W the card should draw.
Also the card does thermal throttling, but custom PCB and 3rd party cooling solutions will fix that.
But it most definitely needs an 8 pin and not a 6 pin connector. A bit sloppy.
They wanted the 150WTDP as an advertizing feature, but that seems to bite them in the butt now. :naughty:

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

AMD is responding fast on this power draw issue.
As you know, we continuously tune our GPUs in order to maximize their performance within their given power envelopes and the speed of the memory interface, which in this case is an unprecedented 8Gbps for GDDR5. Recently, we identified select scenarios where the tuning of some RX 480 boards was not optimal. Fortunately, we can adjust the GPU's tuning via software in order to resolve this issue. We are already testing a driver that implements a fix, and we will provide an update to the community on our progress on Tuesday (July 5, 2016).
And for the record, even if the PCI-E slot is certified for 75 watts, it can handle much higher power draws, depending on Motherboard quality and PSU stability. The 75TDP is just a minimum spec all Mobo have to run stable at.

And when you OC your GFX, it will always draw more power from the PCI-E slot already.

Having said that, all reference manufacturer GFX, should never exceed the listed power draw. :geek:

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Good news for RX480 owners.

A new driver will fix the PCI-E power draw.
AMD Gaming

We promised an update today (July 5, 2016) following concerns around the Radeon™ RX 480 drawing excess current from the PCIe bus. Although we are confident that the levels of reported power draws by the Radeon RX 480 do not pose a risk of damage to motherboards or other PC components based on expected usage, we are serious about addressing this topic and allaying outstanding concerns. Towards that end, we assembled a worldwide team this past weekend to investigate and develop a driver update to improve the power draw. We’re pleased to report that this driver—Radeon Software 16.7.1—is now undergoing final testing and will be released to the public in the next 48 hours.

In this driver we’ve implemented a change to address power distribution on the Radeon RX 480 – this change will lower current drawn from the PCIe bus.
Separately, we’ve also included an option to reduce total power with minimal performance impact. Users will find this as the “compatibility” UI toggle in the Global Settings menu of Radeon Settings. This toggle is “off” by default.

Finally, we’ve implemented a collection of performance improvements for the Polaris architecture that yield performance uplifts in popular game titles of up to 3%. These optimizations are designed to improve the performance of the Radeon RX 480, and should substantially offset the performance impact for users who choose to activate the “compatibility” toggle.

AMD is committed to delivering high quality and high performance products, and we’ll continue to provide users with more control over their product’s performance and efficiency. We appreciate all the feedback so far, and we’ll continue to bring further performance and performance/W optimizations to the Radeon RX 480.
Also, if you have bought a first batch RX480 with 4G Vram, you can flash the Bios to a 8G Vram version. As both cards are the same and have 8Gb of Vram. The 4Gb version has only half of them activated through Bios limitation. This will only be with the first batch of cards. Later versions will most likely only have 4 G of vram on board. :ugeek:

https://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2 ... flash-2-74

https://www.techpowerup.com/223913/amd- ... enchmarked

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Lol that ref. RX 480 4GB is a steal, AMD is to thrusting to only have it BIOS locked, just like in the past where Radeon cards also could be flash unlocked to the model above, i think the HD 7950 could be flashed to the 7970, and the R9 280 can be BIOS updated to the R9 380 which allows it to draw more power.

So this is very original by AMD :mrgreen: If only Nvidia did this...
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Oh hella yea! It was about time for the custom RX 480 cards to roll out, Tech of Tomorrow got the Red Devil from PowerColor and wow it looks like it means business with cherry picked parts and a stock boost clock of 1330 mhz :twisted:

Sadly this was just the unboxing, but the benchmarks should come in a few days ;)

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

XFX might be my go to for Radeon again, as this RX 480 GTR looks so damn good, and changeable fans is a big plus as the fans on my old XFX HD 7950
card was very flimsy.

If XFX continues this theme on to the upcoming VEGA cards then i might be interested in selling my EVGA GTX 1070 FTW for a XFX VEGA card - if VEGA performs well enough be justify it.

Return to “PC”