W10 And World Domination

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Is MS on the verge of monopilozing the software market through UWP?

Some think Games Platforms like Steam will suffer from MS Universal Windows Platform.
By deliberately creating issues, so developers will choose MS own store above others.

I don't think it will go this quickly, but some developers see a tendency emerge.
"There are two programming interfaces for Windows and every app has to choose one of them. Every Steam app – every PC game for the past few decades – has used Win32. It’s been both responsible for the vibrant software market we have now, but also for malware. Any program can be a virus. Universal Windows Platform is seen as an antidote to that. It’s sandboxed – much more locked down."

"The risk here is that, if Microsoft convinces everybody to use UWP, then they phase out Win32 apps. If they can succeed in doing that then it’s a small leap to forcing all apps and games to be distributed through the Windows Store. Once we reach that point, the PC has become a closed platform. It won’t be that one day they flip a switch that will break your Steam library – what they’re trying to do is a series of sneaky manoeuvres. They make it more and more inconvenient to use the old apps, and, simultaneously, they try to become the only source for the new ones."

"Slowly, over the next five years, they will force-patch Windows 10 to make Steam progressively worse and more broken. They’ll never completely break it, but will continue to break it until, in five years, people are so fed up that Steam is buggy that the Windows Store seems like an ideal alternative. That’s exactly what they did to their previous competitors in other areas. Now they’re doing it to Steam. It’s only just starting to become visible. Microsoft might not be competent enough to succeed with their plan, but they’re certainly trying."

- Tim Sweeney, CEO Epic Games
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Prepsi
Mechanic
Mechanic

MadManCK wrote:Is MS on the verge of monopilozing the software market through UWP?

Some think Games Platforms like Steam will suffer from MS Universal Windows Platform.
By deliberately creating issues, so developers will choose MS own store above others.

I don't think it will go this quickly, but some developers see a tendency emerge.
"There are two programming interfaces for Windows and every app has to choose one of them. Every Steam app – every PC game for the past few decades – has used Win32. It’s been both responsible for the vibrant software market we have now, but also for malware. Any program can be a virus. Universal Windows Platform is seen as an antidote to that. It’s sandboxed – much more locked down."

"The risk here is that, if Microsoft convinces everybody to use UWP, then they phase out Win32 apps. If they can succeed in doing that then it’s a small leap to forcing all apps and games to be distributed through the Windows Store. Once we reach that point, the PC has become a closed platform. It won’t be that one day they flip a switch that will break your Steam library – what they’re trying to do is a series of sneaky manoeuvres. They make it more and more inconvenient to use the old apps, and, simultaneously, they try to become the only source for the new ones."

"Slowly, over the next five years, they will force-patch Windows 10 to make Steam progressively worse and more broken. They’ll never completely break it, but will continue to break it until, in five years, people are so fed up that Steam is buggy that the Windows Store seems like an ideal alternative. That’s exactly what they did to their previous competitors in other areas. Now they’re doing it to Steam. It’s only just starting to become visible. Microsoft might not be competent enough to succeed with their plan, but they’re certainly trying."

- Tim Sweeney, CEO Epic Games
I remember when people said this would happen on Windows 8, and it never did.
Whoamus
Mechanic
Mechanic

I had read this information elsewhere in a much larger article. That article also discussed Steam working with MS to incorporate UWP and Win32. At some point old technology needs to advance. I dont see your Steam Library being cut out by Windows, more like Steam adapting to changes to keep relevant.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

That was indeed my first thought too. Steam can adapt. 8-)

But it is also a fact that MS is deliberately bullying other software companies. Mozilla Firefox has issues after every W10 patch and some programs will be removed or updated without notice. This tendency can easily grow. And i think that is what the concern is in that article.

W10 also causes issues with Uplay for example. Basically everything that works with overlays.
And most SLI issues are W10 related. Instead of supporting certain functionality, they cause instability. Some users will see that as a fail of the third party software.
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Whoamus
Mechanic
Mechanic

MadManCK wrote:That was indeed my first thought too. Steam can adapt. 8-)

But it is also a fact that MS is deliberately bullying other software companies. Mozilla Firefox has issues after every W10 patch and some programs will be removed or updated without notice. This tendency can easily grow. And i think that is what the concern is in that article.

W10 also causes issues with Uplay for example. Basically everything that works with overlays.
And most SLI issues are W10 related. Instead of supporting certain functionality, they cause instability. Some users will see that as a fail of the third party software.
I use Firefox, Thunderbird, and Libre Office, and have not noticed any issues. There are usually regular updates for those so maybe they are keeping up after the fact, not sure how much is shared with others prior to patching Windows. Those are open source and kept up pretty good for no or little cost. SLI and things like overlays are business related so I would imagine there is some cost involved. I am sure this takes some cost from businesses and time is money so maybe a little slower to respond. Still I would think MS should cooperate better prior to updating.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Maybe it is not noticeable all the time, also depending on the kind of plugins you use. But MS is well known to "sabotage" other companies with unwanted updates that reduce functionality, change settings or even make some hardware incompatible.

Remember Soundblaster? And EAX...

They also point towards manufacturers for driver support. Some of these manufacturers do not update certain drivers, like laptops that were sold with W7 or 8. It is not in their interest to spend money on that, as they want to sell new laptops.
The same counts for exotic hardware. M$ is not pro active with driver support, like they should be. Even now, they still have not updated their drivers for certain LAN cards.
That is really annoying when you update a system and con not continue, because you do not get Internet connections...

They want everybody to upgrade to W10, so they should be more supportive with drivers for older hardware :twocents-02cents:

And i can continue about this.
It is all about a certain attitude and Monopolist behavior pattern, that some recognize and warn about.

Return to “PC”