AMD RyZen

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Tomorrow the NDA on RyZen benchmarks ends. At launch day. Than we will know if it is all true.

I do not know when i will get my CPU. Maybe tomorrow already ;)
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Seems like a lot of work and high risk, but remains to be seen if there is any gain to delidding it, or if you should just stick to lapping the IHS ;)

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

AMD uses proper solder and therefore it is not really needed to delid them.
Kudos to AMD to not save on that, like Intel has done with the past 3 generations of Core i7.

The CaseKing delidder, who is a pro, demolished 2 CPU before he succeeded. What a waste :lol:
One more reason not to even consider doing this.
Save the delidding for Intel CPU's as long as they continue to use toothpaste instead of solder.

:twocents-02cents:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

NDA lifted, benches live

Full Nexus written review
http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/28 ... benchmarks

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Multi-threaded performance rocks, single threaded stays behind a little bit, compared to Intels i7. Not much though.

I will soon® test this with a proper video card. And also with the auto OC enabled. I bet differences will be much smaller than and unnoticeable during gameplay.

I also have to underline that performance can also be held back a bit by the chipset. Everything is brand new, compared to Intel's seasoned chips and chip sets. Maybe future updates will increase overall performance.

Overall it is a punch but not a knockout many hoped for. It will put them on the map again. And that alone is a huge achievement.
AMD does offer an unmatched price performance for the enthusiast PC builders.

The 6900K loses the battle against the RyZen 1800X
But for pure gaming performance the i7 7700K still rocks.

For me the difference is too small to favor the 4 core Intel over the 8 core AMD.
What did dissappoint a bit is AMD multithreading. It can literally drop gaming performance by 30% or more.
Especially with non multithreaded optimized games.

I really want to see game comparisons with optimized multithreaded performance.

There is also the rumor that was earlier said, that Intel plays dirty sometimes. Some reviewers might favor Intel a little bit.
But IMO these reviews were genuine and place the RyZen right up with intels best i7's

What left is the OC capacity of the 1800X. The benchmarks that emerged last week, showed a 1700X at 4Ghz and 1800X was rumored to do 4.4 on air. And 5.1 on LN2.
With the RyZen hitting 75 degrees at 3.7ghz on an AIO watercooler and the 4Ghz was barely hit at this Gamer Nexus test.
And you can assume that the chips they get are binned ones. Or were they engineering samples? The memory support might indicate to that.

I might have a better cooling solution for that, btw. :mrgreen:

Question remains; did i order the R7 1800X too soon® ? Yes, probably.
Would i change it now with the knowledge of today? No.

RyZen does deliver and makes the 6900K blush :oops:
Same performance for half the price, as advertised.
And game performance will still be a lot better than what i have now and up to par with current Intel i7. If needed, i will switch off the AMD HT, or whatever it is called (Edit: SMT). And i might be able to get it stable at 4Ghz+

Like i mentioned, driver optimization will make their multi threaded solution work. BIOS optimizing will increase overall performance.
None of the reviewers has mentioned this*. They simply compare them as they are now.
Maybe in software support, game support and W10 optimizing can be a lot gained too. I expect a lot of movement in the upcoming months.
*Edit; i have to make a small correction there. None of the video reviews mentioned EFI optimization, but in the extensive Gamers Nexus article this was mentioned. Also that the Mobo manufacturers only had a few weeks to create the initial EFI BIOS.
Note carefully that EFI version can heavily impact performance in some cases
Intel still wins when it comes to general support throughout the industry. But the RyZen is a battleship to be reckoned with.

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Pretty decent performance, it only disapoints abit with single core loads, but kills it with multi core workloads.

I think you'll be happy with this CPU, as you don't game at 1080p and the low performance issues happen at lower resolutions, so at 4K it will run very well.

But at the moment Ryzen is really aimed at productivity setups rather than gaming.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

More DX12 games will support multi core multi threads. So i do not worry too much there.
Single core performance is also simply a matter of higher clockspeeds. And AMD has left less headroom as Intel for OC.
But it should be possible to let it run at 4Ghz on all cores.

Memory will most likely boot at 2400. Future EFI-Bios updates might add support for higher clocked RAM. Also support for 2 modules is better than 4. I might have to start with just 2 modules.

I have not heard anything yet from the motherboard. ASUS might launch multiple BIOS updates over the next couple of weeks. Amd has not given them enough time to properly develop the BIOS.

One of the reasons why i hesitated first. Chipset and motherboard support is just as important and the chip itself.

Guru3D has a good article as well.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/am ... iew,1.html

They run all 8 cores at 4.1ghz at just 65 degrees on the new EK 240 AIO Kit. So maybe the cooling solution at Gamers Nexus had old fluids, bad thermal paste or was badly (rushed) mounted.

Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Noticed this on twitter. :eeek:
Image Image
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

LOL 5,8 GHz is not something you can reach by any normal means, but cool none the less, but 1800X's seems to be crap at overclocking if the reviews are anything to go by.

I really hope AMD can make Ryzen's run faster and not lack so much behind Intel on single core tasks.

But Ryzen was a valid AMD CPU launch but it kind of smell very rushed, also AMD mismarked this CPU as it is crap for gaming and it rocks for productivity, but it was close to Intel's CPU's but still far from them as well.

Also the temp and the voltage readers on the chips doesn't work right ( YET ) :doh:

Also AMD's stock seemed to take massive hit like 7% because of the seemingly negative reviewer feat back.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Problem with creating a hype, is living up to expectations.

Performance is held back by the chip set. They had issues with the Motherboards, otherwise the launch could have been last year Q4 as planned.
That is where the rush is. They have outsourced the chipset development.

I will have a RyZen CPU later today, but no Motherboard. :lol:

These initial reviews can be seen in two ways. Some might have expected better gaming performance. In reality it will perform just as good in games as i5/i7's do.
And having 6900K workload performance at half the price is now a sustained fact.

In addition to that, support from game developers, windows, etc, has just started. And can be massively improved.
Better EFI will unlock higher memory speed support and create better overall performance.

Only way for RyZen is up.

Stocks dropped indeed after the sharp rise last week. I have not sold them, as i expect a further increase in value for AMD this year.
The first batch of RyZen CPU is almost sold out. AMD is creating a buzz.
And intel has already stated that they will focus less on consumer CPU. What statement is that....
Do not forget that AMD makes the chips for both Playstation 4 and XBox1. And they have more ready.

I think they delivered as they said they would do. AMD is a player on the CPU market again.

Also if the CPU clocks to these ridiculous speeds on LN2, it means there is a lot of hidden potential left.

The come back of AMD is good for everybody. Especially consumers.

Return to “PC”