AMD RyZen

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

There is hope, but it gets weird :mrgreen:

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Any news on the motherboard is the shop still unable to deliver ?
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

i saw that Jay video. The strange thing is, that some people have been able to get memory up to 3600Mhz and performance with a 4.0Ghz Ryzen will eaqual an i7 7700K at 5Ghz. Depending on the game.

So Ryzen gets a lot ore performance boost from higher clocked memory than Intel does. tests between 3200Mhz RAM and 3600 showed no real improvements. All within margin of error.

I will try to get my memory to about 3000Mhz. But i do have 4x8. So getting it to run first, i will probably have to start at either 2133 or 2400. Knowing the massive potential, i will try to get it higher.

And no, even this shop does not even take the time to answer my mails. The delivery issues cause many vendors to be very bad at Customer support.

Next time i think i will pay a premium (like i did with the RyZen CPU) and by from a shop that answers within 24hrs and has a proven track record. Cheap shops are only good if things can be easy delivered straight from the importer. They do not have stock and are lausy in service.
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Paying the premium has its perks as you get it first, but then you also all the new bugs etc, so you might just save yourself alot of headaches with the Ryzen OC and memory bugs etc. plus game support still just beginning to show itself.

Btw. The Crew would probably run very well with more core's as it is very CPU heavy, as i notice when i load it up i see it is using my 6 of my CPU's threads 100% while 2 does absolutely nothing.

But should be interesting to see.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

In this case it might not be so bad, as the initial release BIOS would probably not have booted with my RAM.

Right now the 1800X can be stable OC at 4.0 or 4.1, even at systems that ran only 3.9 before. Small optimizations maybe, but it should be an indicator for overall stability.

The RAM timings and OC is a science on its own. Watching a few videos from expert OC gave me a headache. They literally have to boot 3 or 4 times before they can even reach their targeted speeds. And they do this every time. I'll stick to an end user approach. It should run stable at first boot.

The reason they try to get to these higher speeds, is the massive performance boost RyZen gets with higher clocked memory. There is a lot to gain there.

I will start with my 32G memory kit and see how it goes from there. But the good old saying that more memory beats faster memory might be less appropriate with RyZen than Core i7.
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

In some games, RyZen performance stayed behind Intel. More than expected.
AMD has stated that optimizing from game developers could bring increased performance.

TBH i did not expect more than 5-10% performance boost in optimized games.
In previously bad performing games, like Ashes of the Singularity, a little cooperation between developers and chipmakers can do miracles, it appears. 400hrs of work. Optimizing a game engine. Not bad.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processor ... nce-Update

Up to 30% performance boost is huge. If this is a teaser of what we can expect, after more games have been optimized, RyZen might not be so "bad" for gaming after all. But was it really?

Graph from Toms Hardware might give a better "real world" insight in the performance boost.

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

With the 4-8 and 6-12 RyZen processors released, you can draw a simple conclusion. Get as many cores as you can.

1600X performs reasonably well. 1600 migh be a good overclocker. But IMO stay away from the quad cores, unless buget caps your ambitions.

The best RyZen to get is still the 1700 non X, as it can be OC close to 1700X performance and is the best bang for the buck.

At prices just over 300$ the 1700 8 core 16 threads is both a workhorse and good gaming CPU.

A lot of testers take frame times in consideration now and Intel has more FPS drops. This is nocitable during game play. Less hickups means smoother gaming. A few fps more will matter less than consistently high frames.

Now the waiting starts for the massive 16 core versions and also Intels response.
The new X299 platform will launch in June instead of August. So Intel is responding. :party:

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Some reviews of the 1500X and 1600X.

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

AMD nailed it again, now Intel is hurting for real now. :mrgreen:

Return to “PC”