AMD RyZen

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

MadManCK wrote:A French magazine has published the first real independent tests with RyZen. It was done with an engineering sample that did run at 3.15/3.4 Ghz, so it was not at full speed yet. The results are still impressive. Gaming a bit less, but that might be related to the low clocks. At 4Ghz it might smoke most of them or be on par with Intel´s best.

Still that's pretty impressive coming from AMD
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Most current games do not use more than 2 to 4 cores at most. When DX12 is more common, more cores will be used. And i expect the clocks to go up. Maybe 3.4 base and 3.8 turbo. With some headroom for OC.

If i can let it run at 4 Ghz, it will be fine for me.

I think many power users like me will grab this new AMD CPU.
The Mobo´s are also not as expensive as Intel based ones. That leaves more money for memory and SSD or M2.

I´m strongly leaning towards RyZen now. :party:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Yep, now AMD just needs to step the price right, and just be to greedy but i really wouldn't be able to blame AMD if they wanted 85-90% of what the Intel chips cost as this is AMD's first very highend CPU since the Athlons X2 FX's so it think AMD should milk marked and grab every bit of money they can as i'm not sure they can keep it up for long once Intel puts out one of their other chip designs as you have to think Intel have stuckpilled designs for years to come hints why they only bring out minor updates to their CPU lines.

But Mad have you asked EK if they can send you a AM4 bracket for the Supremacy Evo block, as the AM3 won't work? It's most likely 15-20 euros extra to get that.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

I will ask EK CS if they have it already. Might have to wait a bit for it.

The rumored pricetag is around 500$ for the high end RyZen. A little more than a Kaby Lake 7700K quad core or 6800K hexa core. But a lot less than the 1.100$ 6900K Intel Octa core.

Raw performance will be somewhere between the 6800 and 6900. And that alone is a big achievement from AMD. Reason enough to support them.
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

It appears that RyZEN will hit the shelves in March, as it will be launched at the end of Februari. So i need to have a few months extra patience.

It might be worth the wait after all.

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

3 months is a long time to wait, but hopefully the wait will be worth it.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

The same French website, who also published the first test results with RyZEN in benches, also have done some OC tests with their engineering sample.

They managed over 5! Ghz on air... :eeek:

If that is true, it will run 1.6Ghz over the stock 3.4, which is insane. Almost 50% OC on air.
And keeping in mind that Ryzen was already able to keep up with Intels best at 3.4Ghz, they might have a winner in house there.

It is also remarkable that the demand for 370 chipsets for Mobo manufacturers has gone through the roof.

There is a shift in the force coming... :party:

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Yup if it holds true then Intel might have to start rehiring the staff they fired a while back :lol:

But question remains 5 GHz but how hot? And does the performance scale with being overclocked? And how long would the chip last under such a torture environment.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Rumors about the OC experiment include the pre production Mobo with fried VRMs. :angry-extinguishflame:

So it was probably with way too high voltages and barely within tolerance temps. Certainly no long OC.

5Ghz is the new magic number. On water it might run even stable near these speeds. Just insane with 8 cores. But the OC might have been done on just a single core. Not much info to go on. Good rumors anyway ;)

I will be happy with steady clocks of around 4Ghz on that one. Especially considering the performance at stock 3.4Ghz.

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Yes i figured as much as the temps would be sky high on the VRM/mosfets etc. so you might have to get a mobo. block too :P

But i'm excited to see how many models they'll launch of it and at which price point as they can really hurt Intel if their hype train is as real as they say.

I think quality mother brands is going to have boards with beefy cooling for overclocking, but i just hope RyZen can also be efficient and not just a fun but insanely hot CPU like the last AMD CPU's have been.

Return to “PC”