AMD RyZen

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Will AMD with the ZEN finally have a serious Intel contender? They place it directly vs the Broadwell-E

PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

It's great to see AMD's Zen / SummitRidge CPU being on pare with a heavy hitting Intel CPU, i really hope this is the Athlon 64 comeback we have waited for for so long as AMD's Athlon 64 CPU's ruled back then, but then the Intel Intel Core Due CPU's... and since then they have lagged behind.

But fingers crossed :)

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

The AMD Zen 8-core Summit Ridge SR7 chipset will be releasing with top clock speed of 3.5GHz and easily outpacing the Intel rival Core i7 5960X. The most interesting part is that the high-end processing beast is priced at only $499, a new report said.
That will be similar priced to a new Kaby Lake 4-core or 6800K 6-core.

AMD will launch the Zen shortly after CES 2017

If this 499$ is true, the 8 core 16 threads ZEN top model might be a good alternative for my next build. :party:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

AMD is called the new ZEN CPU RYZEN, and the performance is real.

A 3,4 GHz no boost Ryzen vs. a 3,7 GHz boost on 6800K, both 8 core and 16 threads and the AMD CPU is using less power and beat the Intel CPU, good times ahead.

Oh Boy and what she said at the end ... Intel just got blindsided by AMD again, and it only took what 14 years AMD to recover :lol:

Now we just need VEGA to make the Titan XP obselite and AMD is KING again :Coming soon:
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

VEGA will get GTX1080 performance. 8Gb of HBM2. Should be good. :D

But this ZEN might be good for the next build. Probably need a mounting bracket for the EK EVO for the new socket.

If the price is really "just" 500€ for the 8 core 16 thread top model, i will grab it. :party:

PS But i really want to see independent test results first, instead of these fabricated AMD demos. :lol:
For example, Intel uses quad channel memory bus, where AMD only uses dual channel. Basically making memory access and bandwidth twice as fast. And there will be more differences.
Key for daily use will be multi core, multithreaded optimized software and applications. DX12 is going there and even if Intel will smoke the competition with single threaded single core performance, multicore is the way to go. Both future proof and more economical.
It is also great to see AMD has tackled the power consumption. Overall even more impressive, considering the lower development budget they have. But at the same time these development costs will show in other departments. It is not only the CPU, but also the chipset and support for the new standards. USB 3.1, M2, wifi, LAN, etc. You don't want 3rd party solutions for all of those.

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

I yea i think the new AM4 socket will be bigger as AM4 got 1331-pins and AM3+ only got 942-pins so could possibly be 1,4 times bigger as the pin count is up about 40%.

Socket AM4

Socket AM3+

One thing is for sure you need swap to the optional jets for the Supremacy Evo, but you need to take it apart anyway to change the mount for the new AMD socket mount, hopefully the block will support it. Noctua have already offered free AM4 socket mountings for Noctua coolers, so that confirms it'll be a need type of mount system for AM4.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

JayZ2Cents has similar concerns as i have. But AMD has the ball now.

500$ has been mentioned before. If they launch RyZen at that price with 6900K performance, it will make Intel sweat and force them to drop prizes. They have been milking the market way too long, with only marginal performance steps. My 2700K is still less than 40% slower than the latest Skylake. And it is 7 years old by now. And a 4790K can beat a Skylake 6700K in certain apps. Kaby Lake will be better (15%) but also hotter.

Paul has actually been to the press demo.

I'm really privileged to upgrade my system right now. It might be the beginning of a new wave of CPU development. Competition is good for consumers and development pace.
I'm prepared to give AMD another shot if they do deliver :party:

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

From how things seem to unfold at AMD, you can already make a simple conclusion. The appointing of Lisa Su was the best thing that could happen to AMD. With both major consoles using AMD tech and the RyZEN taking the fight to Intel, AMD is on track again to become a serious player in the chip market.

The vision and leadership of Su is starting to show. Kudos to her. 8-)

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

A French magazine has published the first real independent tests with RyZen. It was done with an engineering sample that did run at 3.15/3.4 Ghz, so it was not at full speed yet. The results are still impressive. Gaming a bit less, but that might be related to the low clocks. At 4Ghz it might smoke most of them or be on par with Intel´s best.

Return to “PC”