AMD RyZen

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

More reviews.
Same conclusions in general. Epic workstation performance, stays behind i7 in gaming performance.
But nobody seems to be able to explain why this is.

PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

TinyTony is genuine enthusistic about RyZen and i have to agree.

I will follow the advice to go 4ghz manually on all cores. Maybe even 3.8-3.9 if that brings temps down a bit.
For normal use you will never reach the 80 degrees from these tests.
But i will run some stress tests, when the waterloop is fully installed.

We have seen some "mixed" results with these tests. But looking more closely, it only performs less than i7 single threaded/gaming due to 10%+ higher clocks of the (OC) Intels.
And than again, it performs similar to the 6900K.

So, i think RyZen Rocks :woot:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

That Ryzen does, but they need to get all the infancy problems dealt with, and Asus is most likely already ahead with the BIOS updates, so this is where a quality brand comes in handy.

So i'm looking forward to seeing more in dept test with it, as some reviewers barely scratched the surface of what the chips could do.

But right now i'm more interested in seeing what the R5 Ryzen's can do if they can pressure Intel's more mainstream i5 and i7 CPU's as well, as my motherboard is soon turning 3 years, and my 4790K is 2 years, so i have to have the upgrade time in my head, as i also want to get some cash back in resale at some point but right now Ryzen is hurting my resale value. :lol:
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

The benefits of Intels lazy attitude of only optimizing and not innovating has its perks when it comes to gaming performance of the Devils Canyon 4790K. Still up to par with the Skylake and Kaby Lake in games.

RyZen will perform similar in games for now, but will be future proof with multithreading/multicore. And can benefit from increased support and BIOS updates in the upcoming period.
The sweetspot will be the 1700X. But the hexacore 1600X can also be interesting. Especially if they can crank up the clockspeed some more.

AMD brought serious competition to the consumers market. And that alone is good for everybody.

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Yea got to love AMD's Ryzen for waking up Intel, but i still think the old Core i7 with 4 core and 8 threads is about the right amount of power, they just need to make the core clockspeeds faster.

But i like my 4790K but i know i would want to downsize to a ITX build and there is no ITX motherboards capable of running a high power i7 CPU left on the marked, and those that are are sold at premium prices so it would cheaper to just get a new pc base system instead, but i think i can wait a year more before considering an upgrade, but AMD also haven't released all it's CPU's yet.

But lol i scrapped my overclocks on the CPU, RAM and GPU to make them last longer, but i have all the CPU power i need and way more GPU in the GTX 1070 than i need, i need a 144 hz screen to make use of it :lol:

In theory i could run my system until some part dies likely the motherboard and then just sell the CPU and RAM then but who knows when that will be. :mrgreen:

But i think i can wait for Intel's 8700K to come out :P
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

After viewing and reading a lot of reviews, only one conclusion can be drawn.
The motherboard manufacturers were not ready for the launch yet.

Large variations in test results (up to 30%) were largely caused by non optimized UEFI-BIOS. And temp readouts were not working yet correctly because of that as well. Same for memory support and probably a lot of other things.

Was the RyZen launch rushed? They have been building up towards the launch quite nicely, creating a hype. The motherboard issues must have been a major setback at the last moment. Maybe the motherboard manufacturers did not get enough time to prepare. So motherboard and chipset release was rushed, RyZen was not. But they need each other to work.

Did this kill the buzz? Not really. Maybe expectations were high, but i don't really think RyZen stayed behind in performance.
Some reviewers are biased towards Intel. Even if they claim not to be. Reviewers that were more positive about the AMD RyZen were called fanboys way too quickly by some "seasoned" other reviewers. Maybe they do not want to lose their preferred status with Intel, just like car reviewers are cautious with Ferrari? :P

Without a doubt the RyZen performs up to par with the 6900K. And that is quite the achievement. It is also the only real valid comparison, both 8 core 16 thread. The raw performance is there.
I will leave the 7700K out of my comparisons, as it is primarily focused on gaming with higher clocks. Most existing (single threaded) games will run 5-10% faster on a 7700K. That difference will disappear with multi-threaded optimized games.
It is the same when comparing gaming performance between a 6900K and a 7700K. Do games run bad on a 6900K? You will only notice the difference in benchmarks.

Without bias towards any camp (I had Intel CPU's for the last decade), you can only be impressed with RyZen.
Maybe better UEFI-BIOS will increase overall performance some more. But out of the box it rocked.

RyZen is an all round working horse. And reviewers complaining about gaming performance are out of their mind. I can run all my current games on an 2700K OC. You only need a good quad core to run most games fluently. A good graphics card is far more important. Maybe gaming performance staying behind a bit, was the only thing they could be critical about.
But with DX12 optimizing and upcoming titles that make better use of multi core, scaling to 6 or 8 core will become mainstream.
It is rumored Intel will launch a hexa-core Cannon Lake in the mainstream CPU section. So multi core is the way to go.

With RyZen, 8 core has become mainstream now. :party:

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Another test video at 720p. Nobody will use that res anymore, but it will remove any GPU bottleneck.

You can see comparable fps between the RyZen 1700 non X at 3.9 and the 7700K at 5Ghz. And this is the cheap RyZen 8-core.

So where does this leave those reviewers who can not advice RyZen for gaming? I call BS :mrgreen:

After watching this review from Joker, where he was honest in his conclusion, i really do not see why others have tried to bash him over it.

Last but not least, this dude makes OC look easy. And this is on all cores. Silicon lottery or just taking some actual effort to reach these numbers? I tend to the latter.

So no big OC numbers there, but you can make all 1800X cores run at 4Ghz. But i do not really think that is needed.

Conclusion;

The 1700 is best buy. As the "X" is just marketing BS IMO. 100mhz more on a single core and only if you do not OC the whole 8 cores. :roll:

So, after reading and watching all reviews, i think the 1700 is the hottest item. Cheapest 8 core and it can easily reach 3.9 when needed. :ugeek:

Joker is one of the few reviewers who actually advises the 1700 over the i7 7700K for gaming.

PS The aftermath;
I see too much (negative) influence from Steve Burke (Gamers Nexus) on all the other reviews. Too bad they can not be truly independent that way. By presenting him as the "authority" who thinks advising against buying it for games is appropriate, despite the minor differences in gaming performance, they all lose some credibility. It is basic human nature to "follow the leader". They do not want their reviews to differ too much. Even if some where enthusiastic. I think Burke is too negative. And so is his influence in this case.
Another review in PCGamer has caused the AMD stock price to drop 1 dollar. At least according to analysts. Biased reviews are not really fair in that regard.
Only thing they are right about criticizing, in my opinion, is the bad EFI. 3 weeks preparation time, if true, is simply too short. Even for experienced teams at the large motherboard manufacturers.

It is true that for a pure gaming oriented rig, you might be better off with a Core i7 7700K for now. But is that really the focal point of the new RyZen ? And like i mentioned earlier, you will not even be able to notice the difference when playing a game. It will only show in benchmarks. And multicore advantage will only grow from now on.

The overall conclusion of the reviews could have been much more positive, without some trying to influence the others.
For me the RyZen hype lives more or less up to the expectations. And i'm no fanboy.

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

I just can't wait to see the next Ryzen R5 line up.

As the 1600x with its 6 core and 12 threads and the 1400x with its 4 core and 8 threads, is the real Ryzen stars of the Ryzen family. 8-)

If AMD is using the same but cut down chip as the R7 Ryzen's then the R5 1400x could be one hell of a budget Intel killer, as AMD said the 1600x was 69% faster than the 7600K.

And AMD is going to sell the 1600X at 259 USD, and the 1400X is 199 USD so that is insane, makes my 345 USD 4790K shake very hard in it's boots :lol:
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Hexacore is the minimum for an upgrade now.

They place it against the 7600K, which is a single threaded 4 core CPU. Every workload that supports multithreaded and multicore optimization will perform at least 50% faster. That makes sense.

AMD has stated that gaming performance will be increased with patches for certain games. Over 300 development teams are now working on them. And all new releases will support RyZen natively.
This does not really surprise me, considering they work with every developer, as both Sony PS4 and MS XB1 have AMD chips.

With Intel being the prefered partner for MS over the past decade, they have some catching up to do in that field as well.

Reason more, to place the reviewed achievements in perspective. They are just beginning.

IMO if you are considering an upgrade to RyZen, grab the 1700. It rocks. :twocents-02cents:

PS Always good to see some interest from certain circles

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

MadManCK wrote:Hexacore is the minimum for an upgrade now.

IMO if you are considering an upgrade to RyZen, grab the 1700. It rocks. :twocents-02cents:
Indeed, 6 core and 12 threads will be the high-end minimum, but i think 1700 is the best, but for value i like the 6-12 core ;)

Believe me i would love nothing more than upgrading my system, but i don't have the money for it now, and to be honest it is pretty big upgrade as it is motherboard, CPU and expensive DDR4 RAM, and then possibly a new case as i want ITX or M-ATX for my next build, as i don't want a huge desktop under my table in the future.

But the upgrade to the GTX 1070 FTW took out a huge part of my already small pc upgrade budget, so for now i'll watch Ryzen mature into the beast it might turn out to be, and in about a half or a year i'll figure out if i need to upgrade on just run my 4790K to the ground.

Return to “PC”