AMD RyZen

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

AMD comes in hard and strong this year. And Intel does not really have an answer. Except for some biased reviewers.

But for game performance they do stay behind just a little, compared to Kaby Lake.
The difference is small though, and the price is good.

249$ msrp for a 1600X Hexa Core is a steal. But so is 329$ for the 1700 Octa Core.
Now motherboard manufacturers will have to keep up with demands. :shock:

When the dust of this attack has settled, they will take on Nvidia as well later this year. :party:

PS This Linus' trick will predict real world performance, nothing more. It is a nice peview of what to expect.
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

There will also be a 32 physical core server processor. So the 16 core might indeed be enthusiast grade. But i think it will be more useful to small businesses, server applications and professional content creators.

The modular Zen architecture makes it easy to scale. Naples will have 4x8 physical cores. :eeek:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Those would be insane :mrgreen:

- - - -

JayzTwoCents is doing a 30 day video workflow challenge on his Ryzen 1800X + 2x Titan XM watercooling pc build, and doing so he did a comparison to his 1000 dollar Intel CPU equipped testbed.

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

It is good to see some practical use tests. 2.30 on a 25 min workload, or 8% difference is not much. But still a difference.
If you do 10 of these 4K renders a day, it will almost save you half an hour.

In reality, most will do other stuff on another machines, while rendering.

It is indeed the workhorse, as expected. This is just a single program test. But maybe better somehow, as all the synthetic tests were done with some programs that favor AMD or Intel. Real world tests are prefered over synthetic benchmarks.

There is a lot of rumble going on here with webshops. There are clearly not enough motherboards delivered. And there are some big ones who filed for bankrupcy. I did order in the past at one of them and it was a good shop. Maybe the competition and price comparison sites force them to take less margin than they should. But it is not good for the PC market.

A new product and supporting products like the RyZen platform, usually gives a boost to webshops with a little sales bump.
But they do need to be able to deliver the goods and not be held back by importers and producing partners, who create scarsity on purpose.
This has been done now with Memory sticks, Hard drives and SSD, now followed by motherboards.
Maybe time the kartel police takes a closer looks at these business practices.

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Hey Mad, Caseking.de have the Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero in stock for 300 euros, and Caseking is a decent store ;)

https://www.caseking.de/asus-crosshair- ... s-315.html

Or do you know the ETA of the one you ordered ?
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

I have seen many shops, claiming to have them in stock. But usually they are already sold out. I have ordered from a decent shop, who promised to deliver this month.

But it is kinda frustrating not to be able to start anything. Lots of planning to do as well. I really need storage. :lol:

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

That MSI looks awesome and is my alternative option for the ROG HERO.

But the M2 is in the wrong place. That heath shield might keep some heath from affecting the GFX, it also insulates the heat produced by the M2 drive.

And at the rear is a HDMI connector. A total waste of space.

For the rest the white/silver titanium look is unique and will make every special build pop.
The MSI X370 Titanium is priced 50-80€ above the ASUS and that might be too big of a difference to justify. Especially as the ASUS features are similar and the layout is better.

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Too but the lack of USB's is a deal breaker for me, but it looks nice though.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Beardroid91 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:05 pm Too but the lack of USB's is a deal breaker for me, but it looks nice though.
Yes, they should have ditched the HDMI, as nobody who buys a high end board like that will use an integrated gfx solution.
That spot could have been filled with USB 3.0 ports, like ASUS did. And the ports on the ASUS are no hubs.

Also the second M2 might be a feature, but who needs 2 of them? Most will use 1 for the OS. And the second M2 will be 50% slower due to bandwidth limitations. Still 3x as fast as a SATA ;)

So a number of bonus features are unneeded or even unwanted. Add to that the higher price tag and the decision to grab the ASUS is easily made.

In the mean time AMD has provided new AMD AGESA microcode for the RyZen, so motherboard vendors can update the UEFI-BIOS for their boards. It will most likely include better memory support and compatibility.

I really do hope my board will be fitted with the latest UEFI-BIOS, as flashing the EUFI is a bit more complicated than BIOS before. It also takes a lot longer due to the size and read/write speed of the FlashRom.

Return to “PC”