Intel Kaby Lake

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

First build from Jay is with a 7700K

Running at 5Ghz @ 70 degrees with a 100i corsair AIO.

So the engineering samples were really bad or Intel changed the thermal paste. :lol:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Full review of the Kaby Lake

All i can make of these figures, is that you are still pretty well set with a Devils Canyon 4790K. Perfromance increase after 2 generations is up to 10%, which is pathetic TBH.

And thanks to the 2600K comparison, i know it is time to upgrade. But i was already aware of that.

Another test from Paul. he also did a clock for clock comparison with Skylake. Surprise, no difference.
No real surprise there. It is all in the clockspeeds. :ugeek:

The big question will be what RyZen will bring to the table in practice.
The Kaby Lake will easily clock to 5Ghz, if you manually adjust the voltage and do not let the idiot Mobo Bios cook your CPU :roll:
But they still carefully avoid the thermal paste issue. And it IS an issue.

On the other hand, if you can run 5Ghz stable at around 70 degrees under load, it will run fine. But it could have been better with other materials.

Upcoming weeks will be exciting with new reviews and head to head with AMD new flagship.
A much better battle than in these lame video games. :party:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Kaby Lake is a borderline rebrand of Skylake, you hardly get anything for your money, if Intel buyers have half a brain then they would disregard Kaby Lake completely and show Intel that this rebrading and 2-5% increase doesn't fly anymore.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Yes, it is more Skylake 2.0 than something new. Optimized silicon with some extra functionality that should have been in Skylake from the start. And if you really want to get everything out of it, you need to replace the thermal paste. Something i won´t do anyway.

No smart Skylake owner will upgrade to Kaby Lake. And i don´t think you will be much better of upgrading from Devils Canyon as well. Another reason why AMD has to become successful to some point. Intel needs a wake up call for sure.

Kaby Lake is one of the two options i have for my upcoming new build. I think i will sit this one out and wait what RyZen will bring, as it might be better for me, regarding workstation qualities.

:party:

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

No matter what youtuber or reviewer you check out, they all seem to agree that Kaby Lake is more of a rebranded optimized Skylake. And also that they all think it is a lame move.

At the same time RyZen emerges. Timing could not have been better there.
I think Intel will feel this for the first time in a decade or so. They get punished for holding back on development and milking the market.

As i'm one of the potential clients, who has ran Intel for the last decade, i can already say that from a performance per dollar viewpoint, or simply overall performance, the RyZen will be a no-brainer.

As Intel does not change its policy with a similar launch price for the Kaby Lake as the Skylake had, they will get into troubled waters.

The new work station/enthusiast line-up, that will be launched in the second half of this year, will be based on Skylake/Kaby Lake architecture. Will it outperform the new RyZen? Maybe so. But will it force Intel to launch at less greedy retail prizes? Most likely.

Unless RyZen will cost 700-800 dollar. But rumored was 500$. And that is on par with Intels entry level hexacore from the current Broadwell generation. With 6900K performance. And that one goes for 1.200$, which is ridiculous. Not to mention the Decacore 6950K, that goes for a price for which you can build a complete high end PC.

Kaby Lake is still a good solid upgrade for common use. It is also available 2 months before RyZen, which will give them some advantage.

But for those who have the patience to wait until March.... :mrgreen:

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

The Mobo manufacturers are really stepping up with their new Z270 chipset boards.

Some even have OC profiles embedded. One review magazine had an MSI board that clocked the 7700K to 5.2Ghz with the press of a button. You still depend on the silicon lottery of course, but they do make Overclocking way too easy now. :lol:

http://www.legitreviews.com/msi-allowin ... rds_190225

All RGB solutions are more mature as well. Less pinball machines and more consistent with color themes.

Case modding and customizing rigs will be more rewarding now.

Let's see if team red can keep up with the blues. :party:

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Intel still has the edge when it comes to chipset and motherboard support.

The latest rumors about the 7640K and 7740K is that the Kaby Lake CPU's will get a special version for the new high end LGA2066 socket.
Both versions will be slightly faster than their LGA1151 counterparts.
New i5 versions will get hyper threading. One of Intels counter moves. They still have some aces up their sleeves.

The new socket 2066 will also be the foundation of the upcoming SkylakeX workstation range of CPUs.
Intel might be moving the introduction up to an earlier date, due to the AMD battleship entering the playgrounds.

It seems that the effects of AMD's new flagship CPU is already creating a stir. :party:

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

True, but i honestly can't tell why anyone would buy rebranded old CPU tech from Intel, as all they have done for the last 6 years is make only slightly improved CPU and those being nearly the same socket each time. So for me anything AMD can deliver will be better.

But i hope AMD gets those motherboards fixed and pushed out of the door as we barely can wait to see how good Ryzen really is in day to day use.

But Intel need to be more bold and push out more CPU like they used to, but sadly they got to fat and lazy.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

There are a lot of benefits to choose Intel. It is a seasoned platform and the whole Industry has adapted to it. It will take a while, before AMD RyZen will be on the same level of support.

Also the cooperation with motherboard manufacturers is very good. To the core.

ASUS has launched the most epic Z270 board yet. Maximus IX Extreme.
Full cover watercooled. Even cooling for the M2 SSD is provided. Bitspower provided the watercool solution.
Maybe the 700$+ pricetag is a bit much. Especially considering an EK full cover solution. That is available for 200$ boards and will set you back around 160$. Even with a 350$ base board, it is 500$ combined. So ASUS jumps on the greed train.

But what a board it is...

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-M ... X-EXTREME/

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Just to underline the overpriced ASUS above, EKWB, not the cheapest, has released full cover blocks for MSI Z270 boards at 120€.
And they do support RGB ;)

Return to “PC”