Intel Kaby Lake

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

I don't know why they are calling every new generation "lake" now. Skylake was original.

The Kaby Lake is more like an improved Skylake. Cannonlake will be the first 10nm CPU.

Must be from Chinese source, looking at some names ;)
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Best to sit this one out and wait for AMD's Summit Ridge CPU's to get benchmarked first as they look to be more interesting ;)
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

The new Kaby Lake laptop processors have been released. Destop versions will follow in Q1 2017.

The new video encoder is very interesting for me. So i will wait for Kaby Lake for my upgrade. :party:

PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Although Intel has postponed the launch of the kaby lake desktop processors untill Q1 2017, there is a webshop where you can pre-order them.

http://faun.ee/intel-core-i7-7700k-quad ... w-vga-tray
Product name Intel Core i7-7700K, Quad Core, 4.20GHz, 8MB, LGA1151, 14nm, 95W, VGA, TRAY
Boost clock will be 4.5Ghz. A bit more than was expected. That one will be a beast out of the box, or its overclocking potential has shrunk.

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Kaby Lake was a lot hotter in most performance tests, but did clock higher than its predecessor, Skylake.
However, it appears that temps can go down a lot with delidding. Up to 30!!! degrees even. And that is way too much.
So instead of the rumored solder, they must have used some left over goo from the dentist to mount the CPU lids. Shame on them. One more reason why AMD needs to be competitive, to get rid of the sloppy Intel cost saving tactics. I mean seriously, how much would it be to use proper solder to mount the lids, like they used to in the early Core i7 series?

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/my ... d.2493250/

From over an unhealthy 90 degrees at 5+ghz to a more modest 66 degrees after removing the factory TIM. :?
Out of curiosity I googled 7700k delid and saw a number of websites reporting on my findings of the 30 degree temp drop, but were unsure on cooling method in both tests so thought I should clarify: The before and after tests were 100% identical (with exception of delid) to isolate the delid, both tests used:

The same cooler at the same setting: Kraken X62 - Fan @ 50% and pump at @ 65% (by the way, this cooler is only about 3 degrees cooler than the H110i, but has better config available)
Exactly the same BIOS settings - which was a x50 multiplier and voltage offset with LLC level 2 resulting in a stable 1.344v under prime 95 load
Memory stock (C15) and Uncore stock.
Prime 95 v27.9 run for 15 minutes in both tests.
The same case / config / install (tested with case side panel installed - i.e. how i would actually use it for 24/7 use so the test would be more meaningful to me): https://s30.postimg.org/gzluzd7w1/Case.jpg

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

DAMN that is huge i only saw like 13*c drop when i delidded my 4790K
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

That is already a big drop as well. 8-)
We do not know if these temps are representative for the whole production line, but the simple fact that they still use this TIM, despite earlier rumors about proper solder, is a big letdown from my perspective. Not only will they limit the OC capacities for the most common power users, even simple things as fan noise and stability in normal user systems can be improved by making different choices for the manufacturing process. I really hope they see this and give the next steppings the proper treatment.

Nobody wants an overheating CPU in their rig.

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Some think NDA does not involve them and published performance online anyway. :roll:

http://wccftech.com/intel-core-i7-7700k ... ke-review/

http://www.eteknix.com/intel-core-i5-76 ... or-review/
http://www.eteknix.com/intel-core-i7-77 ... or-review/
http://www.eteknix.com/intel-z270-chips ... am-leaked/

It does clock over 5.000Mhz, both 7700K and 7600K. But they were indeed reaching an unhealthy 95 degrees celcius.
That thermal paste.... :facepalm:

But it does perform well at factory speeds. I guess a mild OC can be done.
Just stay away from the tempting 5Ghz.
Now, how many will do that? Exactly; many will fry their Mobo or CPU. If this is Intels way to sell more hardware, they are on a sliding slope.
The price difference during production must be in the dollar cents. What holds them back to use proper thermal materials for mounting the CPU lid?
Unlidding is not for everyone. The Skylake is thinner than the Devils Canyon and so is the Kaby Lake? It can crack more easy. Naked mounting is also risky as a little pressure on the Die can kill the CPU as well.

So, unless you want to take the risc and delid the new Kaby Lake, there is no way to get a stable OC of over 5Ghz. And that is the number that will be used in all test rigs.

I wanted this Skylake refresh as it will perform 10% better overall at least. Mainly due to higher clockspeeds it seems. The optimized chip design will allow higher clocks at the same TDP. But OC headroom will be limited.
I might be better off with something else. :party:

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Even if the list price will be around 350$, the pre orders here are a whopping 500€.

Seems like the greed from webshops has no boundaries. :angry-tappingfoot:

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Damn, a 150'ish euro premium .... :occasion-snowman:

And RyZen will wipe the floor with it :lol:

Return to “PC”