Intel SkylakeX

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

This why Treadripper is like jack the ripper for Intel.... :lol:

Intel sucks big time, they screwed themselves over big time.

Also i guess Linus Tech Tips isn't getting a free one for testing anytime soon after this heart to heart intervention. :P
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

I agree on SkylakeX only. KabyLake X should be left out or the lower CPU shoud also be called SkylakeX. And get more lanes.

Intel was supposed to launch after this summer, but are forced to launch earlier and they appear not to be ready. Different marketing strategies, last minute calls and PR managers not communicating. Or even worse, an exectutive who interfered so they can offer more cores than the competition. Cores alone is not the issue. And cannibalizing Xeons is not the solution either.

AMD has caused panic at Intel. They might deny that, but the signs are clear. They are no longer monopolists in the high end CPU market.
Add to that the most likely ridiculous pricing and the picture is complete.

It is still awesome they bite the AMD bait. 18 cores 36 threads.... for less than 2.000$ ? :P

Maybe lets see first how the AMD 16 core will perform.... :mrgreen:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

RIP Intel, nobody cares about you anymore :lol:

Feel sorry for the Youtube's as they lost views / money covering it.

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Intel has a panic attack. They moved Coffee Lake up to launch in August, instead of 2018 as planned.
When did Kaby Lake launch again? Must be the shortest lived CPU in Intel history.

They will lose market share to AMD, that is unavoidable. But with this Coffee overdose, they might make things worse.

We have seen what can happen when motherboard manufacturers are not ready with their firmware. AMD made that mistake. They did, however, create momentum with RyZen.
And from the looks of it, Intel does not know how to deal with competition anymore. Maybe the giant fell asleep, while the marketing minions milked the markets with ridiculous price tags. Problem is, when you adjust your business model around these margins, you get sloppy.

For a long time they have been behaving like monopolists. What is clear now, is they have to regroup, rethink strategy and most certainly do not rush releases like they do now. A solid, well supported product is what customers expect from Intel. They still have the edge in hard and software support and should make advantage of that.

And maybe they will have to evaluate their pricing strategy as their current greed will bite them in the ass. But they had that coming.
AMD's resurrection is a blessing for the whole industry. And i seriously do hope they will do the same to Nvidia. But that is a different company and they will be ready. More than Intel is.

Taking a piece of the cake is what AMD will do in the upcoming 2 years. What happens next will determine if it is a one day fly or that they are there to stay.

For now we enjoy the stretching of a company that does not even know what flexibility means anymore.
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

OMFG so true, RIP Intel :loll:

Cash Grab

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

2.000$ as predicted. Like there is no competition. They must be really sure about themselves.

If it is the fastest thing money can buy, they will get away with it, as there are always idiots who pay top dollar to be the fastest.
Hope they throw in the cape and tights.

Somehow i do not think bitwit will get new Intel CPUs to test soon® :loll:

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Yea Intel won't be pleased about this, but someone had to do it.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

No 2.000$ but 1.000$ for the 10-core i9. Now that is "sharp" prized. Last gen 10 core, slower and 1.700$.

With "just" 1.000$ they take the fight to RyZen. The 16 core Threadripper will most likely be 1.000$ as well.
Interesting battles ahead :party:

EDIT, looking at some early performance tests, the new i9 7900 10 core is about 25-30% faster than its predecessor the 6950. Mostly productivity tests.

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

AMD is still better than Intel just because of the amount of PCIE lanes.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Beardroid91 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:34 pm AMD is still better than Intel just because of the amount of PCIE lanes.
And 16 cores vs 10. But Intel will launch more core CPU's later. Basically downstripped Xeons of the new gen.

Maybe the 2.000$ CPU will be amongst those :loll:

PS In some tests the new 10 core stays behind the 6950 and even the 1800X. Looks like non optimized drivers and early bios versions...
now where have i seen that before.. :think: Another recent launch maybe.
Usually Intel is much better prepared. The early launch shows they are not 100% ready yet.

And everybody still tries to grasp what they try to achieve with porting Kaby Lake to X299.
Maybe if you want the top tier platform and only an entry level cpu now, to upgrade to their monsters later.
But IMO, buyers with the money to grab a 400$ motherboard will have no issue spending 600-1000$ for a cpu at the same time. It just makes no sense.

For normal consumers the entry level chipset is much better. For the price difference you can grab some extra Ram or an SSD.

Return to “PC”