New install with SSD

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

I've just installed an SSD (solid state drive) in my desktop and re-installed windows on it, as this is the first time I've used one of these drives can someone give me some suggestions on the best way to reinstall all my other games and stuff as I don't want to fill up the SSD with needless stuff.

The SSD is 128GB and I will also have two 1TB drives available.

Ideally I only want to have the operating system and a few essential programs on the SSD and all my Steam games and other DVD based games on one of the 1TB drives and use the other drive for data and other programs.

Is this a good idea or dose anybody have a better one, I don't think I need to install any games on the SSD as they seemed to run fast enough with the old setup.

Bear in mind the main reason I have installed the SSD is to boost the operating system start up :auto-nx:
Image Image
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Make sure to move My Documents to another drive and all other maps that can cause an overcrowded SSD

SSD is a big improvement. Quicker load and startup times.
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
snake250
Apprentice
Apprentice

If you have a SSD with windows 8 it would boot quick!!!!!!

good to hear you got a SSD bez :clap: you will enjoy it
nathan is a mexican!!
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

MadManCK wrote:Make sure to move My Documents to another drive and all other maps that can cause an overcrowded SSD

Good idea about My Documents, forgot about that thanks ;)
snake250 wrote:If you have a SSD with windows 8 it would boot quick!!!!!!

I run Windows 7, I've tried windows 8 on one of my laptops and don't like it, to me its more for touch screen and I don't have one :|
Image Image
snake250
Apprentice
Apprentice

Bezrider wrote:
MadManCK wrote:Make sure to move My Documents to another drive and all other maps that can cause an overcrowded SSD

Good idea about My Documents, forgot about that thanks ;)
snake250 wrote:If you have a SSD with windows 8 it would boot quick!!!!!!

I run Windows 7, I've tried windows 8 on one of my laptops and don't like it, to me its more for touch screen and I don't have one :|
i use windows 8 on my desktop with a HDD and get 12 second boot to my desktop
nathan is a mexican!!
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

snake250 wrote:
i use windows 8 on my desktop with a HDD and get 12 second boot to my desktop
You can also put W7 in sleep mode. It will boot instantly. But 12 seconds is really fast. Reminds me of the good old WXP, where you could make coffee and a sandwich before it was ready, lol :loll:

:character-blues:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
SpeedFreak.be
Mechanic
Mechanic

You guys do know WHY win 8 starts up so quick?, because it don't shuts down it goes in a sort of hibernation that is the reason why it's so quick all the major components can be loaded very quickly that way. Btw everyone is hammering on the fast boot times of win 8 ... big deal I start my pc 1 maybe 2 times a day so.... For me the disadvantages of win8 are a lot bigger then the good stuff.
IF IN DOUBT .... FLAT OUT
TDU2 pc player main profile BeFast4Fun

XBOX TAG SpeedFreak be
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

At the moment I'm getting a boot time of less than 30 seconds since I fitted the SSD and most of this time is taken up with the boot screen checking hardware, if I turned this off in the bios it would be much quicker :eeek:
Image Image

Return to “PC”