Case Modding

A new rig to show off or just want help with the latest Tech, if it’s for PC this is the place.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

There are very few PC cases that are fully customizable out of the box. And even if they are, the pre mounts are usually for specific brands or their own stuff.
Creating your own case and making a standard PC case into something special is also rewarding and you can do exactly as you please.

Figuring all measurements, finding all parts, creating the best solutions for the build etc will also make you a better PC builder as you will have to overcome all kinds off stuff in the process. A complex watercool system tops that off.
Optimizing airflow, cable management, noise reduction, isolation and optimizing the whole configuration are additional tasks

One of my local PC shops is run by Asians who go completely nuts with lighting and advanced watercool systems. They are crazy, but also very experienced as they had to overcome a lot of issues building all that stuff. Some look like pinball machines :lol:

And the so called custom PC cases are a lot more expensive than starting with a base model and do it yourself.

One example is the antec P280 vs P380. Last one has a window and is 100€ more expensive than the 280 model it is based on.
80€ vs 180€ is ridiculous. Just for a see through door and some more connectors.

Even with my insane Cosmos II case i had to make adjustments to fit in a 280mm radiator with 2x14cm fans on it. But it has enough room to fit a Gurka warrior in it, next to all PC stuff.
Not everybody is prepared to make room for a Big Tower PC case though and customizing a Mid tower can give very good results if done right.

Also Bear has the patience and expertise to pull a complex build like this off.
And it is fun to do. If you know what you are doing off course. :lol:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

:good post:
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Yes good post Madman :2thumbsup:
@Bear I knew you where going to say this. :lol:
I believe it would be cheaper to buy a new case that had all the features I need, but where is the fun in that
But your right its not always about the cost it is always fun to do this sort of thing and as Madman says also a learning experience. :ugeek:
Maybe in a years time I might have a go at my own custom build PC :think: at least I know a couple of guys I can ask for help when I do. ;)

Now back to the topic in hand. :party:
Image Image
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Sure thing Bez, it's not that hard to do, just need the; proper planing, the right tools and some know how ;)

And when i run into tight spot then i'll just ask my dad for some advice, he is an engineer and a walking encyclopedia, his one of those guys that like to fix stuff himself, like opening a broken screen up and replacing the fried transistors, so always good to have him close by when things go south :lol:

And btw this is all casemod related so we are on topic :P
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

No!! I just released that need some 5mm longer screws for it to mount, the stock M3x30mm screws are just not long enough, and i don't have 8 M3x35 screws... have to be ordered more delays ... how did did i miss this :facepalm:

Just ordered them M3x35, hopefully they'll ship them today, otherwise i can't mount the radiator fan fans, before friday, so fingers cross :pray:
_

Lol just released that i have place 4 orders at the same shop in this week along, WTF and it's not the parts that where expensive it starting to be the shipping :doh:
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Lol, don't you have a local Ironware shop or DYO supermarket? I have one 10min walk from my home. Comes in handy sometimes.

;)

PS Just order them in various sizes. Gives you more mounting options and maybe you need them for other projects as well. :idea:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Sure there is some big retails about 3 km away, but those stores are huge and might not carry such a tiny screw, so it's easier to buy from a purpose shop that have the exact right part I need ;)

And yes I have set of bolts screws in the workshop, those where not long enough, it was also by looking at them I saw the difference in sizes and I knew it was a M3 bolt :)
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Just tested the CM Nepton 240M vs. my Corsair H75, and the Nepton is nearly 100% silent, while the H75 is noisy.

I'm actually pretty sure i might be able to mount the H75 at the rear fan, while the Nepton is in the top. Putting the H75 on the GTX 970 is not a bad idea, as the Windforce, epic as it is, then it is only good for cooling it the gpu while heating everything else up, so in theory i would be able run my cpu and gpu at some frosty temps vs what i have now 8-)
All watercooled setup idea
All watercooled setup idea
But i can see positive and negatives with this idea, 1. Warranty goes out the window, 2. Resell value might drop, 3. Much lower overall pc temps, and 4. Less noisy pc under load and idle.

But should i really do this, what to you guys think?
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

You already have all materials you need to do this. But a double waterloop is fancy, even for your ambitions. :loll:

Those closed loops are also sealed. But when you start to think about a setup like this, another option is to just make one big waterloop. With 2 radiators. But right now they are sealed and bleeded by the manufacturer. And getting all the airbubbels out is a hassle. Adding a reservoir for example increases the amount of cooling fluid making the system more efficient and also easy to fill. But the more connections, the more chance of leakage. I used glycol (car cooling fluid) for my custom watercool set. So it never corroded or grew algae, like in some cooling setups.
The coolermaster pump is more than capable of powering up a bigger loop.

But you can opt for the setup you have drawn. The fan speed from the GPU watercooler will probably be lower as the 970 produces less heat. At least thats what they say. So it should be less noisy. And the coolblock and pump are one unit off course.
It also makes optimal use of all the stuff you already have.

Don't forget that even if you can fit everything in your case, you still need a solution to cool your motherboard chipsets, mosfet and ram modules.

But i would start with the CPU only watercooled and the windforce cooler. You will notice soon® enough how well that will perform. And if it is not to your liking, you can always go crazy on water. :twocents-02cents:

You can use one of the coolermaster fans as a case exit fan. It will most likely move a lot more hot air from the case as the case fan that is there now. And with a temp profile it can be made silent enough and increase fanspeed when needed.

:character-blues:

Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

I had thought about combining them .. but that's just nuts, and far above my skill level, but it does make sense to do it, and add a small reservoir, plus the closed loops are not even full, you can hear the air and water mix as the pump is sucking airbobbles. Maybe i'll try it in a few years, when i know the parts are working ;)

But the heat from the graphic card will most likely raise up to the 240mm radiator and heat up the coolant and reduce performance, like it does on the Prolimatech Megahalems cpu cooler, it's compromised once the graphics card is under load :?

So i might as well put the Corsair H75 cooler on the GTX 970, and run much colder temps.

Btw i would never turnoff all of the fans, there still need for some small airflow, but some intake can be set to switch on/off in the Asus fan profile maker ;)

But need to see if it's really an issue before deciding anything.

Return to “PC”