PlayStation DUALSHOCK®4 Controller

Talk about all things Playstation.
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Closer look at the Ps4 controller
Sony is showing off the new features of the DualShock 4, its latest PlayStation controller, developers behind the PS4 wax lyrical about the new controller.

The most important addition is the Share button, which allows you to capture gameplay footage, make a video and upload it straight to the Internet. This ties into the melding of social media and games that Sony is pushing with its new console.

The coloured, glowing block on the back that first catches your eye is a motion sensor that lets the console track the controller. It sounds like a gimmick, especially after the PS3's pointless Sixaxis, but it has some useful applications. In local multiplayer modes, for example, if you swap places with someone on your sofa, the splitscreen will magically switch to match.

A speaker has been added too, adding 'dynamic sound' to create a more immersive experience. Where your TV will play the grand, epic soundtrack, the controller will add subtle extra details, such as bullets whizzing by your character's ears. PS Vita-style touch controls are also present on DualShock 4, as a result of the MacBook-esque multi-touch pad, so it'll be interesting to see what that adds to gameplay.

Subtle tweaks include the change of the analogue sticks from being convex to being concave, which makes them more like those found on the Xbox 360 controller. The triggers and shoulder buttons have also been adjusted to improve control.

Sony seems to have learned from its mistakes with the PlayStation 3, which was notoriously hard to make games for due to its complex and unfamiliar Cell processor, and has actively reached out to developers to see what they want to work on for this upcoming console generation.
Image Image
lambo_lover
Rookie
Rookie

im double minded about the speaker an the touch pad. its one of those things that you have to test yourself to see if you like it or not. i dont think i will like teh added speaker though because iv got a 10 speaker surround sound that having that in the middle might get annoying. i hope your allowed ot turn teh speaker off if you dont like it. if you can then i wont mind it being there because not everyone had surround sound.
YOU buy a FERRARI when you want to BE someone, YOU buy a LAMBORGHINI when you ARE someone!!!
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

It looks like a very cool controller. I'm actually impressed by the amount of functionality they squeeze into that little thing. Only thing it doesn't do is teleport you out of the room. Maybe something for PS4 :woot:

I do hope the share function does not require a Failbook subscription. But from the looks of it, the PS4 will be a straight winner.

:character-blues:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Freeland
New Starter
New Starter

I know, old topic. But the share button is cool imo. Ive always wanted to press a button and record "that epic moment"
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Freeland wrote:I know, old topic. But the share button is cool imo. Ive always wanted to press a button and record "that epic moment"
Yea a nice feature something Steam has had for a long time :)
Image Image

Return to “Playstation”