What should my soon to be sim racing rig have as a wheel?

Talk about your gaming hardware:
All platforms:
Prepsi

So, I'm thinking of getting a wheel, and these are the two contenders:
Logitech G27
Fanatec GT3 RS V2
I'm Logitech leaning as I can find a good one on amazon for 250 bucks.
I'm a bit worried about Fanatec as their customer service seems to be hit and miss, some people have reported excellent customer service, while some people haven't gotten any word from them after a year, or even worse, not received anything from them at all! However from the reviews it's quite apparent that Fanatec has the superior force feedback, however some say the synthetic suede rim of the current 911 wheel rims wears out after a few months of use, and I'm personally more a fan of the G27 rim anyway. I've also heard horror stories about people leaving their new Fanatec GT3, CSR, and GT2 wheels on for a few minutes only to come back and find that they had overheated. I'm a bit iffy about giving money to a company that makes what appears to be a unreliable product and what some people say have horrible customer support [though some people also praise them as well]. Now, your opinions please? I'd like to have an opinion from someone who has used both wheels or the fanatec GT3 variants [CSR regular, GT2] , but anyone is welcome to chip in their :twocents-02cents: .
dpuff
Mechanic
Mechanic

Get G27, I have it, I like it so far. G27 is the ideal wheel for starters.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

I've had a G25 and it didn't break down in 4Y. So the quality is pretty good IMO.

The Fanatec looks awesome and should drive better. There are some mixed reviews about quality and support though.
I have good CS experience, but i'm also a premium member. And my CSW wheel is largely made of metal.

Alcantara only wears out quickly if you have very sweaty hands, but it does give a very comfortable ride.
The pedals from Fanatec are very good. The one that comes with the package has a load cell brake pedal. It allows you to brake more precise and feels more realistic than a regular pedal.

Fanatec wheels can be adjusted on the wheel itself. Logitech through their driver setup. Enough options to make it work in every game.

G27 is natively supported by more games and compatible with consoles. Maybe that is the best choice to start with, like Dpuff mentioned.

Good luck with making the right decision.

PS You can also get a DFGT (or G27) and the Fanatec Elite pedals. Some very good drivers use that combo 8-)
And then there is the Thrustmaster T500RS....
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

I'm afraid I can't help much here as I still use the G25 but what I can say is it has served me well over the time I have had it and it is still working perfectly. :D
And as others have said it is a fantastic starter and mid range wheel so on that basis I would go for the G27 and after a wile if you think you need something better sell it (they hold the price well) and get Fanatec ;)
Image Image
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

That offer you showed me recently is really hard to beat IMO.
Fanatec is a step up compared to the Logitech G27 wheel. Especially if you want to drive some of the more serious sims.

I found an extensive comparison here

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1272801/high- ... ec-turbo-s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:character-blues:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

MadManCK wrote:That offer you showed me recently is really hard to beat IMO.
Fanatec is a step up compared to the Logitech G27 wheel. Especially if you want to drive some of the more serious sims.

I found an extensive comparison here

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1272801/high- ... ec-turbo-s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:character-blues:
Nice review, makes me want the fanatic now :whistle:
Image Image

Return to “Gaming Gear”