new way to make a motion simulator. the G6

Talk about your gaming hardware:
All platforms:
Karu62
Apprentice
Apprentice

i was intrigued by the "motion simulator" in the E3 videos of The Crew. i decided to some reseach and found a website called X-sim with poeple creating their own motion simulator rigs of every variation,complexity and cost.

http://www.x-sim.de/software.php?page=project_gallery" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the X-sim software is free. electronic circuitry is very inexpensive. everything else is what you make.
Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

I would love to build one of these but I think getting all of the electrics and everything to work correctly would be a nightmare. :eeek:
Image Image
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Karu62 wrote:i was intrigued by the "motion simulator" in the E3 videos of The Crew. i decided to some reseach and found a website called X-sim with poeple creating their own motion simulator rigs of every variation,complexity and cost.

http://www.x-sim.de/software.php?page=project_gallery" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the X-sim software is free. electronic circuitry is very inexpensive. everything else is what you make.
D-Box attenuators are expensive stuff. I looked into it a few times because i do like the idea. But a full set of 4 will be around 8000$ or more.
It will add some realism if you get it right and have the software to support it, like TDU2 lol. But it won't make you faster, probably even slower. It does add to the immersion.

One of those things you can do if you got a spare room, a lot of money to waste and the time to put it together. :loll:

If i will be crazy enough one day to do a project like this, i will most likely get a Vesaro as i think they are works of art and i already would have bought one without the DBox options if i hadn't made my rig myself. Still work in progress BTW.

It is always cool to see what is possible and what stuff you can get to improve your sim racing experience.

:character-blues:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Karu62
Apprentice
Apprentice

i can get a basic ARDUINO UNO I/O interface board for $30. the UNO controlls up to 7 motor controller "shields" as they call them, cost $20 (1 for each motor).

i can get a liner actuator with a 6" stroke that holds 300 lbs static 165lbs dynamic and travels 1/2" per second for $50.

with X-sim, you can do whatever you want, you take an input from the game, and make it perform an output function to a controller like ARDUINO.

at the forum they call each axis of movement a degree of freedom (dof). a basic 2 dof would be pitch and roll axis,3 is yaw, 4 adds side slide, 5 adds forward thrust, and 6 adds vertical heave. but you can program whatever you want.

i figure a basic starter rig could have a single dof. take the platform and mount the front on a ball swivel (like a trailer hitch ball). the back of the rig would rest in a side-to-side channel with a slight curve downward on each side. this way the rig tilts slightly when it moves sideways. this is actuated by the linear actuator and slaved to lateral g's detected by X-sim.

later you could add a vertical actuator, either to the rig as a whole (heave) or just the back, and slave that as a bump from X-sim. this would give vibration to the rig and jolt you when you jump.

ive even considered the possibility of trying to make a homemade force feedback brake pedal.

its all in how much you want to tinker with engineering. parts are really reasonable in price.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

http://www.d-box.com/en/consumer/home_p ... g_partners" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

4400i

D-BOX’s ultimate motion experience is delivered by these 4 actuators. Experience the full spectrum of motion in its best rendering: pitch, roll, heave and intelligent vibrations while watching a movie or playing a game. With its higher weight capacity, the 4400i Actuator Kit is designed for loveseat and sofa seatings from one of D-BOX's OEM Partners and can be adapted to various other seatings. D-BOX’s motion actuators allow for ease of integration and low maintenance.

View image gallery
Features

Robust
Precise
Reliable
Lightweight
Low energy consumption
Adjustable intensity level (with controller)
For movies and games

Specs

Actuator seating compatibility: Loveseat and/or Sofa
Number of axes: 3
Actuators (per seat): 4
Vertical lift: 1.5” / 3.8 cm
Final drive mechanism: Electrical
Maximum lifting capacity (per actuator): 400 lbs / 182 kg
Maximum lifting capacity (per seating area): 1,600 lbs / 726 kg
Actuator orientation: Vertical
Installation type: Integrated
Actuator dimensions (ea.) (H x W x D): 11,5” x 2.5” x 2.5” / 29,2 cm x 6.4 cm x 6.4 cm
Power requirement (per configuration): 120V, 50/60Hz, 5.0 AMP or ACM 230V (for 220V markets)
Funny thing to mount this device under your sofa and watch an old school action hero movie hahaha :loll:

http://www.d-box.com/media/docs/Product ... i-H_EN.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KAI
The KAI-1P is a motion controller specifically designed to interface between your PC and our various gaming systems. The KAI-1P interprets the programmed motion code within a game, transmitting the information to the actuators on your corresponding D-BOX Motion System. Available in both Racing and Flight Simulation configurations.

View image gallery
Features

Powered directly by USB port
USB 2.0-compliant full speed interface
Portable
Software-driven intensity control
Recognized by Microsoft Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL)
Status indicator (LED)
Stream motion indication
http://www.d-box.com/media/docs/Product ... I-H_EN.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't think the USB device to control the actuators is very expensive. You could buy that, so you're sure it works, apply to some actuators and off you go. Probably a bit more work than that ;)

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/CES_D ... stem.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.avsforum.com/t/793724/for-al ... iasts/3360" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've seen D-Box literature dated April 2009 saying the KAI-1P MSRP is $299.99. D-Box may have increased the price since then. Unless I'm mistaken, all you need to enjoy PC gaming with your D-Box system is the KAI-1P and the codes. See their website to see which games are currently supported. You will need to go through a dealer to purchase a KAI-1P.
http://www.joyridesimulators.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and than this:
D Box Motion Available on the FCRS5000 Race Simulator

** add $12,999 to the Retail Price of the FCRS5000 Race Simulator
Those are the kind of prices you are confronted with if you want a finished product.

I really don't believe a 50 dollar attenuator is the same as these ones and can do similar stuff. If it is, they all do rip you off big time with these motion control kits.

:laughing-rolling:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Karu62
Apprentice
Apprentice

once you start into the 6 dof systems,they get real expensive. at the forums they talk about speed of actuation and power of motors. the more power you have, the faster the actuation of movement making it more fluid feeling. these guys have motors that cost $500-$1000 each. needing bigger more expensive motor controllers and bigger more expensive power supplies. they need all that because 6 dof systems support the entire rig, you ,chair,monitors and all, that requires lots of strenghth in the motors.

here is a video of a guy demonstrating the X-sim software on a 6dof system.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

for my setup i would be using the sway axis first, then add heave later
Karu62
Apprentice
Apprentice

Krikey , technology is going crazy. now they came up with a new way to make a motion simulator for driving simulators.

Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Interesting concept but I think its just a bit too unusual to make it into the main stream motion simulator market. :o
Image Image
Fulysic
Mechanic
Mechanic

mmmmm i have been following this for the last year and a half there are a few company's working on there own versions of this
Now i love my simulator i spend all my free time in it im in it right now i love it for fun now i also own a historic race car and i don't spend much time in it.

My point is some things are better off left for the real track i have heard people say it will be used as race car driver training tool for neck muscle etc but as for simulator i think its going to far
Now im not sure how many of you own a real race car or have actually crashed one me i have crashed mine twice both times i was the victim now the G-force felt in a crash is crazy and is very horrible feeling impact G-force from one of my crashes was enough to crush one of my spinal discs.
Now i have spent countless hours on iRacing and i have had a lot worse crashes in iRacing than real life im not sure if i would want to feel feel the same amount of G-force as in real life crash in the game i love that would take all fun out of it for me.

Its a good idea in theroy but i think Stage 5 Racing Simulator by simxperience will be enough for any racer at home leave head G-force for the track.

Also what about if it had electrical freak out not sure if i want to be be locked to machine that could go nuts :auto-swerve:

Return to “Gaming Gear”