The Crew First Impressions

Bez
Global Mod
Global Mod
Drift King
Drift King

Here's another interesting take on the Crew
http://business.financialpost.com/2014/ ... =780b-b657" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image Image
Karu62
Apprentice
Apprentice

that second picture looked like it had a 70's Impala.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

I have updated the links to other reviews in this post with parts of the review from Team VVV:

http://tdudrivetime.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 254#p16254" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
To put things into perspective, The Crew’s Creative Director Julian Gerighty presented us with an overview of the map during my visit to Ivory Tower showing how its size compares to other worlds in familiar free-roaming games.

Staggeringly, it revealed that The Crew's open world is bigger than Grand Theft Auto V’s Los Santos, Red Dead Redemption’s Wild West, Forza Horizon’s Colorado, Need for Speed Rival’s Redview County, Far Cry 3’s tropical island and Skyrim combined. All of these worlds were shown tucked neatly inside The Crew's US map, which makes you appreciate the scale of the world you’ll be exploring.

“In terms of size, our New York is about the same size as Liberty City in GTA IV,” Julian explains. “But on top of that we’ve got Chicago, Detroit, St Louis, Miami, Dallas, Las Vegas, Seattle, San Francisco and all of these cities - I insisted on including Detroit because of the heart of Motor City. But it’s not just these cities: it’s everything in-between. So it’s a very big game.”
:spy:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
\/8

Karu62 wrote:that second picture looked like it had a 70's Impala.
I think it's a '67.
I took a Street spec vehicle off-roading through a forest and frustratingly found myself unable to find a path back to a street.
I know it's out of context when he talked about different specs behaviour but I hope he also meant that forest was so big.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

There are a few things i like to share, that were not in the initial review. 8-)

The car sounds will be made by UbiSoft Reflections, using real engine sounds :mrgreen:
They will also be responsible for the PS4 version of the game.

Modding will not be supported for the Crew. :shock:
And to be frankly, if the game is that good, you don't need it, as it would only mess up the game for others.

Manual gears will be available for Controller players as well

It has over 7000 miles of roads :eeek:

The PC version will get more Video options. Higher FPS and Multi Screen will be supported.

Julian Gerighty (Creative Director) has grown a beard since the Youtube videos.
He has also the most insane travel schedule if have ever seen. In fact he came straight from the USA to our meeting in France.

The developers of the Crew have created all the different tools they needed to build the game themselves. Including the world building tools and the engine. They are a clever bunch of programmers.

Stéphane "Fergus" Beley, will continue focusing on driving games in the future and push boundaries even more.

Some rumors about game developing studios are true. There were a couple of microwaves stacked up in the cantina, so everybody could nuke his food at the same time and it also had a couch and a table soccer game.

:character-blues:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Purple44
Learner Driver
Learner Driver

Thanks MadManCK for your post on your trip to Ivory Towers and links to other posts. :D

I had but The Crew on hold after reading somethings over at The Crew forum, but atfer reading about the support for different wheels and being albe to turn all assists off, The Crew back on buy list maybe.

I do still have some concerns:

1. No text chat on the PC. :( Any PC racing game without text chat online will make it harder to make new friends online and build an online community. I don't use VOIP inside a game. I use Teamspeak ( on a second computer ) with friends. I have used text chat over the years to make new friends online with Flatout 1 and 2, GRID 1 and TDU2.

2. Microtransactions. Will microtransactions make online racing with The Crew unbalance for the first couple of months when players can just pay to upgrade their car to top level while others spend a month earning money to upgrade their car?
Martin Bigg >>>
I quizzed Julian to find out how long it will take on average to level up one car to the top rank, to which he replied around 25 – 30 hours – and that’s if you play through the narrative.
http://www.teamvvv.com/en/news/comments ... -car-games" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3. How long will the finish the race timer will be this time? I sure MadManCK you remember the 10 sec finish the the race timer in TDU2 and Eden ignoring us that did the beta and ask that the finish the the race timer be increase to at least 30 seconds. Did you actually get do some racing and how long did you get to finish the race? If race is longer, is there a longer time to finish the race? With The Crew, you could have some pretty long races.

It look like I will be a regular visitor to this forum to get some up to date news on The Crew. :)
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Hi Purple44, remember you from the TDU2 Beta. Welcome to TDUDT.

I only did a couple of races and results were shown instantly. These were short races. So there was not really an issue with players left behind.

And there will be indeed longer races. Coast to coast flatout in a Supercar will take a good driver around 1 hour 45 minutes and a race around the map about 4 hours, lol.
For those type of races it would indeed be more logical to have a bit more time to catch up.

I will forward these questions to the Dev team. Chat and microtransactions will be on that list as well.

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

I have updated the links with the review from TDU France (With Google translator)

http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... t=&act=url" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They have also made some pictures in the Studio

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Executive Producer Anne tweets my review :2thumbsup:
[tweet][/tweet]

MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Q&A with MadManCK at The UbiSoft Crew Forums

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/86 ... mpresssion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:spy:

Return to “The Crew Game”