Oculus Rift and The Crew

Jeragger
Learner Driver
Learner Driver

It's called voice attack or something like that. I've seen it in use before.

Okay guys, I have the dk2 and I have spent hours in various games getting it set up and troubleshooting.

I went from directly supported games (such as radial g) to semi directly supported games (assetto corsa) and I'll start working on the crew as soon as I get the vorpx drivers from their staff (they send it by email only now. No DDL on their site)

From what I have read there will not be full positional tracking although looking left right and behind should work. Up and down to the extent the cockpit camera allows.

After finally getting this working in AC I don't think the crew will get anywhere close to that level of 3D... and yes, you can actually get out of your car in AC.

Guys... the youtube videos and the screenshots do not match what I see at all. It is full freakin VR. I played radial G on the monitor and on the rift. It's like a completely different game on the rift.

If IT is going to work on native OR implementation for the crew, they are going to have to modify how much you can look around in the cockpit view by a lot. Further comments after I figure out how to get it working.

If you've been on the fence about getting the dk2, wait for the consumer version unless you have expendable income, in which case get this sucker as fast as you can to hold you over until release day. Release slated supposedly for October this year. The DK2 has 1080p resolution (compared with the DK1's ... 720p I think). The consumer version will supposedly have 1440p.

I have never seen a device like this before. It is a brand new experience. I remember it was being talked about in 1999 with a HMD but it was deemed impossible. But with the technology we have available now it seems that it has been pulled off.

btw, I have a few lumps on my head and I've banged my shins , toes, and knee more than a few times.

I think if the team at IT had their hands on a OR and tried it out, they'd be in an uproar over it. I think it's possible for them to implement support for it in the crew, but if I remember correctly they're only holding on to that team for a year past launch and the consumer version is supposedly october 2015. That's only about 2 months left before they're done with the crew.

I am raving about this thing. Madmanck, I don't know if you've tried this or not before, but if you had this + your setup and spent 10 seconds in AC with it you'd be raving too. I'd bet the farm on it.

The downside is the 1080p is not enough, even with some pixel sharpening to help. 1440p would definitely be a minimum for the first generation consumer product. I feel given another year or two to come out with second and third generations, computer monitors will no longer be used for gaming at all.

Anyway , this post is kind of all over the place, I apologize. I'll update as soon as I get my hands on my copy of the vorpx drivers and get the crew working. Already know it will work based on the youtube videos in my original post. My goal is to see about improving that to deliver the best experience possible.
Jeragger
Learner Driver
Learner Driver

Okay, so vorpx does not have official support for the crew yet. However, I was able to get it to work.... kind of.

Stereoscopic 3d does not work. It is like you are playing it on a HUGE monitor.

However, my problem is that it is zoomed in. The FOV slider is greyed out and from what I've been able to find on google and RTFM , this can only be adjusted if you have a triple monitor setup.

I am still messing with it stubbornly. Just changed the .ini file to a 1.2 fov scale to see if that actually does anything. I want to change it to the max setting but I'm not exactly sure what that is numerically. I'm assuming 1.2 is 120 degrees or so maybe. Will see.

Edit: Fantastic way to trigger a migraine headache. Not a lot of information out there on getting it to work with DK2. The game will display, but it is 2d (basically playing it on a massive monitor) and it is zoomed in. The camera view moves with my head within its limitations (I can't look at the roof of the car or down at the seat, for example)

If stereoscopic 3d can be supported and they can fix the FOV issues then it should be fun to play, but with what I've seen right now after all that work is that it may be better to wait for official support from VorpX for the crew.

http://www.vorpx.com/forums/topic/how-t ... -of-vorpx/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “The Crew Game”