Rockstar Bans Modders GTA V

It's time to let crime pay once again
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Rockstar Bans Modders GTA V

That's right. They changed the EULA and every modification can now lead to a ban. And a lot are already banned. Just check the comments on Steam.

I thought modding GTA V was wat made it special. But to get rid of cheaters, they now ban everyone with even the most simpel modification, like a POV tweak.

Maybe this was needed to keep the game clean. But they also Ban offline modders...W.T. :eeek:

I think they were jealous about the Steam Brawl last couple of weeks and want all that negativity for themselves. :clap:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Prepsi
Mechanic
Mechanic

There never was any official mod support to begin with. It was accomplished through a 3rd party unpacker, much like TDU2. And anyone here crying about the lack of official mod support has to remember that up until mid 2012, modders on TDU2 were also banned. I have a post from steam forums describing what other uses this unpacker could allow.

"Here's the thing. The method currently being used to mod isn't really what most people think of as modding.
ScriptHook, is an example of DLL Assembly Code Injection, which sneaks foreign code into the process in order to provide a method for an additional payload of code to hook/modify the game process in memory.

The problem with this is that there is no way to tell what the payload is. Nor is there anyway to prevent the payload from working in only some areas of the game.

That's the point a lot of people don't understand here, we're not talking addons. We're talking DLL files that have been modified to allow a user to run ANY additional code they want and have the game accept it and execute it. There are no limits to what can be run with this and the trainer that comes as the included demonstration of scripthook is a very benign usage of the potential.

To give you an example of the dangers of allowing DLL Injected clients to connect to multiplayer servers or any other client for that matter, until recently, in Reign of Kings, hackers using the same method that scripthook uses, were using injected assembly code into DLLs to modify files on the computers of other players on the servers they connected to and in many cases, even the files on the servers themselves.

When we're talking about DLL Injection, there is no such thing as singleplayer mod or multiplayer mod. It's just foreign code being run, anywhere the user wants. The only way to prevent it is to check the integrity of the DLLs of any client on connection and cutting the connection as soon as a disprecency is found. It may seem like overkill, but the alternative is a complete loss of security for anyone using gta online."

and something from reddit

"the reason modding doesnt work in gta online is due the design of gta online. if it was just a free roam with no levels and storyline, then yeah, them keeping mods off it would be fucking stupid, but its not. there is a leveling system, cosmetic micro transactions, heists, and leaderboards. if they allowed mods, then all of those things would become pointless and the game would look alot more appealing on consoles. that is not what we need to happen. rstar is not banning for singleplayer mods. ive had my trainer installed since day 1, 3 weeks later, no ban. the reason people are being banned is because theyre using their fov mod/trainers online and playing the victim when they get banned."
Last edited by Prepsi on Wed May 06, 2015 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prepsi
Mechanic
Mechanic

Also, a friend of mine who actually has the game [more than what some people here can say] notices that a lot of the people claiming they got banned for modding but actually cheated. He took a look on a lot of their profiles and saw a lot of sales of cheap in game cars for millions.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Some "Modding" includes illegal unlocking of official content and performance hacks. These are not mods but hacks. It is sometimes hard to define the line between lame hacks and cool mods. But anything that can lead to an advantage in the game, like level boosts, money hacks or performance increasements are just lame cheats.

And i do not have GTA V, so i can only forward what i have heard and picked up from the net.
This was exactly what i was expecting from the online GTA V experience BTW. A game that promotes violence, crimes and misbehavior should not be surprised that that game behavior does not stop with the original content. I actually think it is an open invite for certain low moral behavior. Even if 90% of the gamers will not do it. Some will try to get an unfair advantage over others. And they will see that as a part of the game.

Rockstar are in their right to take action against infringements that ruin the game experience or is draining resources by unlocking paid DLC. It will be interesting to see if they can keep the game clean.

IMO some mods can be fun and for offline use it should be allowed to a certain level. Maybe even with workshop support, like other games.

But it is also good to see a publisher/developer who takes action against cheaters.
A lot of online games are destroyed by cheaters, who think they are cool, but are just lame attention seekers without skills or morals.
If these rigid methods are needed to get rid of them, thats the way to go than.

Flushing out the miscreants...oh no, that is the Tsunami mod... :loll:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Fulysic
Mechanic
Mechanic

Two of my friends have had account bans but only temporary one was for using injection tool for more money and the other was for FOV mod.

But worst offender is my brother two accounts permanent banned and one account seven day ban and the other is six months or three can't remember.

I think it is fair what Rockstar have done they did say changing games values will result in a ban plus online mode was getting full of invincible people with unlimited ammo or floating people spend most of my time in passive mode because of scrubs like my brother
blehz
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've read some comments on gaming websites about this whole thing. But I'm pretty sure Rockstar did the best thing.
I encountered quite some cheaters, spawning ferris wheels, saucers and so on into the game world, invincible, etc... . It was not fun to play around those.
I'm pretty sure Rockstar can detect what they use. Anything giving unfair advantage deserves a ban, even the FOV mod. Cheats kill online games, so let's hope Rockstar keeps doing this.

btw: those claiming they only used it in singleplayer or didn't use any mods mostly lie
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Statement of Rockstar:
“We have always appreciated the creative efforts of the PC modding community and we still fondly remember the awesome zombie invasion mod and original GTA map mod for GTAIV PC among many other classics. To be clear, the modding policy in our license has not changed and is the same as for GTAIV. Recent updates to GTAV PC had an unintended effect of making unplayable certain single player modifications. This was not intentional, no one has been banned for using single player modifications, and you should not worry about being banned or being relegated to the cheater pool just for using single player PC mods. Our primary focus is on protecting GTA Online against modifications that could give players an unfair advantage, disrupt gameplay, or cause griefing. It also bears mentioning that because game mods are by definition unauthorized, they may be broken by technical updates, cause instability, or affect your game in other unforeseen ways.”
They claim single player mods are allowed. According to some comments this is not the case. But, like Blehz said above, most will have modded everything and are just in denial. Or think they did nothing wrong. I remember some salty discussions on the good old Atari forum about modding issues.
Big difference is that Rockstar is actually communicating.

Refreshing actually. No matter how it is received by the community in general. I like it.

Return to “GTA V”