Shared Car Preferences (Regarding cars and tuning)

Be fast, be first, be famous
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Hey follow GRID2 drivers

I have had the idea that we on this forum could unite our knowledge about the different cars and what turning works the best for them :) I know for a fact that some cars get drifty with gearbox turning, while others gets better...

So this is the place where you can share your opinion and knowledge about what works well in the MP races

Please make it clear which car you are telling about and the effects are :!:
____________________________________________________________________________________
Here is my list tuned cars, i will update and add your inputs - if they work
IMO these cars work well for me in GRID2's MP races ;)

Tier 1:
Alfa Remeo Giuletta Quadrifoglio Verde - (Hatchback) - My favorite car
  • Engine tune = 1
  • Gearbox tune = 1
  • Handling tune = 3
VW Golf R
  • Engine tune = 2
  • Gearbox tune = 0
  • Handling tune = 3

Tier 2:
Nismo R34GT-R Z-Tune (aka Skyliner) - My favorite car
  • Engine tune = 2
  • Gearbox tune = 1
  • Handling tune = 1

Tier 3:
BMW M3 Coupe
  • Engine tune = 3
  • Gearbox tune = 0
  • Handling tune = 2
Chevy Corvette Z06
  • Engine tune = 3
  • Gearbox tune = 0
  • Handling tune = 2
Caterham SP300R - My favorite car
  • Engine tune = 1
  • Gearbox tune = 0
  • Handling tune = 1

Tier 4:
Audi R8 Ultra GT3 - My favorite car
All fully tuned

Mclaren MP4-12C GT3
  • Engine tune = 2
  • Gearbox tune = 0 - (with tune it gets drifty)
  • Handling tune = 1

I will update this list with your inputs and my own if you like the idea of it :)
Last edited by Beardroid91 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
medcave
Learner Driver
Learner Driver

Please tell me what works best with the T3 Honda NSX. It is the most horrible sliding car I have ever encountered. Un-drivable, at least with a DFGT wheel. Or can it even be redeemed?

I'm not fond of the Nissan GTR either... wish I could tune it some for handling. I fully leveled up the T2 Dodge to T3 so I would have something decent to drive in that class, unfortunately those that have a handle on the GTR are faster. Guess I'll have to spend more time with the Nissan until I can level up to another T3 steed.
Steam name: McDave
Grid 2 playername: Boss 429
TDU2 playername: Medcave, Texican, Boss 429 (current)
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Nice list. You also have to be careful not to tune it too much as it will go into the next Tier.

And you need to level up extra to be able to tune some cars, hahaha.

:character-blues:

PS I managed to win a couple of races in an untuned T3 Nissan GTR and T4 Mercedes 722GT.
Unfortunately there is no option to test drive different tuning options to see what suits your driving style best. And tuning also does not compensate for skillz.
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

MadManCK wrote:Nice list. You also have to be careful not to tune it too much as it will go into the next Tier.

And you need to level up extra to be able to tune some cars, hahaha.

Thanks, Mad

Indeed you have to, in Grid2 there a you need to read about what your getting vs. how it works on the car, some foreknowledge will pay off for you :)

And yea the tuning kinda sucks in Grid2, like every car has to be tuned like a spec car :handgestures-thumbdown:
medcave
Learner Driver
Learner Driver

Hmmm.... I'm closing in on the Vette and was wondering if it would be tail happy with all that power. Will try your 1-1-4 settings first. ;)
Last edited by medcave on Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Another thing is that you can not remove or reset tuning options. And there is no way to test it to see if it fits your driving.
I tuned the 722 handling and it has snappy oversteer now. Thats stupid. The engine tuning on the other hand rocks.
There is no room for try and error. Not very well implemented imo.
Only way to get a different setup is to start a new profile.

McLaren GT3 is undriveable after tuning.
Most tuning options make the cars sharper. With twitchy base handling this will quickly result in a very tail happy car. This combined with the forced drifting makes the driving less pleasant than it could have been. Especially if you are controlling a drift and someone smacks into your rear end from behind. No way to recover.

There are clearly some pros and cons regarding the tuning options. You will need some tuning at the faster tracks, but some cars drive a lot better without tuning. :twocents-02cents:

PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

medcave
Learner Driver
Learner Driver

You can undo tuning. Just act like you're going to buy the particular tune item(s) again and it will remove it instead. It will also drop you back to the previous Tier if the tune leveled you up.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

medcave wrote:You can undo tuning. Just act like you're going to buy the particular tune item(s) again and it will remove it instead. It will also drop you back to the previous Tier if the tune leveled you up.
Cool. I wasn't aware of that. I will give that a try for sure. Thanks :mrgreen:

medcave
Learner Driver
Learner Driver

Here are my preferences as a level 18, someone just on the cusp of getting the better cars. ;)

Tier 1:
VW Golf R (4WD)
"works for me with stage 1 engine and stage 2 gearbox and handling"
Ditto, though it still under-steers badly. You really have to throw it sideways to set up for a fast corner.

Alfa Romeo (the Hatchback) (FWD)
"Works for me with stage 2 engine, stage 1 gearbox and Stage 2 handling"
I'm currently stage 1 engine, stage 2 gearbox and Stage 2 handling. This was my favorite car early on but I needed it in the next teir, or so I thought. It really wasn't competitive there so I recently detuned it. Will be checking other settings soon.

Camaro Z28
1 engine 1 gearbox 3 handling. This car works well on the faster tracks, though it tends to oversteer, particularly on tighter courses. I just discovered I could bump up to lvl 3 handling and stay in class, so looking forward to trying it out there.

Tier 2:
Nismo GT-R R34 aka Skyliner (4WD)
"Works for me with stage 1 engine, stage 1 gearbox and stage 2 handling"
Ditto. If I could get all the cars to handle this well with my wheel, I would be King of the Road! ;)

Tier 3:
Caterham SP300R (RWD) - my favorite car :mrgreen:
"Works very well for me with either the only the gearbox or stage 1 engine and stage 1 handling"
Only two more levels to go and it's mine, all mine! ;) Update: I have it now and love it! Can't wait for lvl 22 now to be able to tune it. :)

Honda NSX R (RWD) - "testing it for a good set up :)"
:handgestures-thumbdown: Worst car ever. Uses office chair ball casters instead of wheels and tires. :handgestures-thumbdown:

Nissan GTR (new) (AWD)
"It's a car with a on/off switch, you either get it right or you don't... very edge to drive fast on curvy roads (like the Jap. mountains)"
I've spent more time with it this weekend and it really is a good car once you get used to it.

Chevy Corvette C6 (RWD)
"Works well for me with stage 1 engine, stage 1 gearbox and stage 4 handling (could be diffterent but i though it needed more traction to keep up the GTR) "
My settings: 2 engine 1 gearbox and 2 handling. I so much wanted to like this car. Unfortunately the Nissan has more power, even at stage 2 engine. :(

Tier 4:
Mercedes SLR 722 Good strong, good handling car - fully tuned. Throttle oversteers badly coming out of corners though so it takes some getting used to.

Mclaren MP4-12C GT3 (RWD)
"Works with Stage 2 engine and stage 1 handling (the gearbox tuning makes it drifty)"
I haven't spent much time with this car. I really didn't care for it from the start. Drifty was the word, even with an un-tuned gearbox. May try your settings and give it a second chance. Update: Tried Bear's setting and liked it. :)
Beardroid91
Hot Wheels
Hot Wheels

Thanks for the feat-back, i'll update my list with your inputs :)

I updated my tier 1 cars and found a lot of extra speed and acceleration in them (Golf and Alfa)

Return to “Grid 2”