Project CARS 2

The ultimate racing game
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

That video is a good representation of pCars, as it does show its strong points and weaknesses.

Ai is way too agressive when they should not and too slow where it counts. I always try 100%, but usually 85% is more realistic in terms of behavior. Also depending on track and car choice.

PS It was funny to see you wanting to turn in to the Nordschleife, when entering the new section of the combined track. :lol:

For most cars a little TC and ABS improve handling. But i'm always reluctant to activate any driving assist, even when i know modern sports cars have them also.

Physics do look tricky, but mastering a vehicle is one of the things that make pCars stand out. At least it drives like real cars do. I never understand why some cal all that sliding around in other SIMS realism, when in reality you can not even drive in a straight line in these games without moving around.

pCars2 Ai is not too much of an improvement over the first project. In fact i see some Ai flaws that were already in NFS Shift 1/2. So they might have beefed up the physics and track dynamics, some old habits are still there.
Maybe because they focus more on online racing than the offline career modes. But as they are both part of their games, Ai should get some attention.
Best Ai to date is still GP3 IMO. And that game is from last century :eeek:
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

Image Eden Games Can Kiss My Mustang
The-DOG
Rookie
Rookie

MadManCK wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:03 am That video is a good representation of pCars, as it does show its strong points and weaknesses.

Ai is way too agressive when they should not and too slow where it counts. I always try 100%, but usually 85% is more realistic in terms of behavior. Also depending on track and car choice.

PS It was funny to see you wanting to turn in to the Nordschleife, when entering the new section of the combined track. :lol:

For most cars a little TC and ABS improve handling. But i'm always reluctant to activate any driving assist, even when i know modern sports cars have them also.

Physics do look tricky, but mastering a vehicle is one of the things that make pCars stand out. At least it drives like real cars do. I never understand why some cal all that sliding around in other SIMS realism, when in reality you can not even drive in a straight line in these games without moving around.

pCars2 Ai is not too much of an improvement over the first project. In fact i see some Ai flaws that were already in NFS Shift 1/2. So they might have beefed up the physics and track dynamics, some old habits are still there.
Maybe because they focus more on online racing than the offline career modes. But as they are both part of their games, Ai should get some attention.
Best Ai to date is still GP3 IMO. And that game is from last century :eeek:

You are spot on with that :rightthumbup:

I never bothered much with the AI setting's since i usually drive online with real people
But ill redo it someday with the AI set to a proper challenging level.

I do have some good guides for fine tuning car's in sims and used it while doing community racing in assetto corsa.

I also don't like to turn on many driving assist's because IMO it takes the fun out of it and takes less skill :violin:

If we can master TDU1 in hardcore mode, then surely a real sim game like this doesn't make it more difficult. :whistle:
I do agree tho, the more it slides the less real it feels to me :auto-swerve:

Both AC and PC have very agressive AI, one thing Forza apex is way better in i think.
Forza apex has also got other thing's AC and PC miss like aqua planning.

I always start with the carreer mode and then move on to online races, it just can be a real pain in the back to find a server
with good clean racers sometimes, but i guess that's true for all of them. (it's just not true for Iracing witch is either filled with elitist's or wreckers lol)

Overal i always liked the grid series the most since that always had a good balance between arcadesim/ sim racing with AI that is pretty good.
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

pC2 is now also available at Humble Store

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/proj ... xe-edition
PC Player Image TDU, GRID, Assetto Corsa, pCars, NCG, The Crew, Dirt, Forza: MadManCK Clubs: TDU2: Luny's Fair Friends (VP-Exec), GRID AS: TDUDT (Pres) DT-Racing Team: Team Leader

grooks10
Mechanic
Mechanic

I guess it's a good thing that I won't be getting the game until Christmas then! I'm so busy with classes that I didn't even bother bringing my console to school. But by the time I get it, I'm sure a lot of bugs will be worked out. They say they have been working on fixing the AI balancing problems among other things. While this game definitely seems to have fewer bugs than the first PCars at launch, it still seems to be suffering from a few noticeable ones that somehow didn't get caught in QA testing.

On another note, your comment about being able to play out of the box confuses me quite a bit, Mad. PCars 1 was unplayable with a controller, and I needed to make quite a few changes to the FFB settings to get my wheel to feel good. But from what I hear, PCars 2 is way better out of the box than the first game.

But that seems to be a common story with this game. Some people are having issues with lots of things, and others are having no issues. So say their wheel feels terrible, and others say it feels almost as good as Assetto Corsa. Some are reporting terrible AI behavior, and others are saying it's the best they've ever raced against in a game. I guess I will have to just make my own opinions once I can get my hands on the game.
XBOXONE: hooksie54
German Auto Club Executive (Secretary)
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

How your wheel performs in pCars is really a matter of taking some time and effort to set it up properly.
Having said that, it should have worked better out of the box. Not everybody has the patience to do that. But it will pay off if you do.

I still have to do my demo runs for pCars2. I will try to do some this week. :party:

Moominpappa
Learner Driver
Learner Driver

If there is playable AI I am interested about this game. I guess that my patience is not enough to take seriously online races against pro players. It took me a long time in the Crew when I got my skills enough high level to play online.
grooks10
Mechanic
Mechanic

Moominpappa wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:07 pm If there is playable AI I am interested about this game. I guess that my patience is not enough to take seriously online races against pro players. It took me a long time in the Crew when I got my skills enough high level to play online.
I feel the same way. I don't feel like I'm good enough to race against real people in multiplayer, so I don't want to embarrass myself in a public lobby. I think the AI in PCars 2 will suit me just fine since I loved the AI in the first game. Some of the greatest in game battles I've ever had were in PCars 1! So after patches, if stuff gets properly fixed, I think this could be a gem of a game.
XBOXONE: hooksie54
German Auto Club Executive (Secretary)
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

Usually, i do the career mode or part of it first. To learn the cars, controls and get familiar with the game.
But nothing beats real opponents in races. Everybody makes mistakes. Smaller or bigger.
Just take a look at real life racing. Even in F1, where the best drivers of the World gather, they can make silly mistakes.

Good thing about larger games like pCars, is that you can always find a lobby with similar drivers. And we can create custom lobbies as well.
I have no gone into pC2 in depth. But i plan to do a series of videos, starting with the career mode at 100% Ai :lol:

Project Cars 1 Ai was reasonably good at some tracks, but bad at others. And it appears nothing has really changed in PCars2.

The-DOG
Rookie
Rookie

The AI in PC1 is extremely agressive at 100%, even at 80% they will knock you of track if the get the chance.
I rather drive with real people, but that can be a real chore to find clean drivers, that's why a i joined exiled
in assetto corsa since they were clean and good drivers.

Not planning on getting the newest version just yet tho, seems like a waste of money at the moment...
MadManCK
Admin
Admin
Champion
Champion

The-DOG wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:40 pm The AI in PC1 is extremely agressive at 100%, even at 80% they will knock you of track
I know this from pC1. And nothing has changed much it appears. But i managed to do the whole career mode at 100% in pCars1, until one track the Ai drove over the grass, cutting like n00bs and i had to reduce strength to 85%. That is probably the more natural setting anyway, but i always feel like cheating myself when i reduce it below 100%. :lol:
Also funny; when i followed the 250cc go karts over the grass, i was immediately warned for leaving the track and my laptime did not count :shock: I did stop career mode there. Lost motivation due to the reluctance from the dev team to fix such obvious flaws.
What baffles me the most, is the lack of interest they show, not to fix that stupid bug. And there were more. Maybe some tracks did get more attention than others. Or they wrote a lazy Ai subroutine for it. It didn't look real driver based.

So far no time to do pC2 for now. I will do some of our own Weekly Crew runs instead. And get my uber modded Skyrim to work again after Bethesda screwed my game with Steam auto updates. :roll:

Maybe i will postpone doing some more serious driving stuff until after my new rig is finished and i can use my simulator again.
Even if the Playseat is a good alternative, it is not as sturdy and rigid as my self fabricated racing rig.

Return to “Project Cars”